Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Motordyne Plenum Spacers, Non-RevUp Engine Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoobybri
I'll do it if we can get enough donations. I've already layed out $105 in dyno costs but I'll throw in a $10 donation myself. I'll even film and photograph the entire process from start to finish and put up a website with all of the results, photos, etc. I'll put the stock intake tube back on and the stock filter as well. I've got about 3 shops that have dynoes within 15 minutes of my house, so I'll contact them to find out which shop would be best for this type of testing. The place I've been going to is a Ford shop. I'd like to find one that is more "Japan-oriented" We've got $30...Who else wants to make a donation on the "MPSOA20056MTG35CDDF Webathon?" Operators are standing by...

MPSOA20056MTG35CDDF = "Motordyne-Spacer-On-A-2005-6MT-G35-Coupe-Dyno-Day-Fund"
$10 here

Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 PM
1) hensta
2) Chicago X
3) scoobybri
4) GEE PASTA
5) SUD
6) G35_TX
7) Hydrazine (pledge matching!)

So we have $60 in pledges, plus $60 from Hydrazine = $120

Just a few more pledges to go. If we get enough pledges by this weekend, I'll start talking to some dyno-equipped shops for pricing/availability. We also will need to define the parameters that we are going to run under. (ie ECU reset or not/acceptable coolant temp ranges/etc.)

This is a testament as to the great community we have here on G35driver and to Tony for standing behind his product. Thanks guys!

Old 05-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Florida G35 Club
1) hensta
2) Chicago X
3) scoobybri
4) GEE PASTA
5) SUD
6) G35_TX

Just a few more pledges to go. If we get enough pledges by this weekend, I'll start talking to some dyno-equipped shops for pricing/availability. We also will need to define the parameters that we are going to run under. (ie ECU reset or not/acceptable coolant temp ranges/etc.)

This is a testament as to the great community we have here on G35driver and to Tony for standing behind his product. Thanks guys!
All dyno's run's should be rewarded after with a few cold frosty beers.
So that's $10.00 for the dyno and $10.00 more for beer.
Pasta

Old 05-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by SUD
I purchased from Tony via Paypal though, so if you aren't setup I could easily send him the $10 to add to his half, if he is willing.
Please don't send me money for this event. Let Scoob run it and report the status. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
1) hensta
2) Chicago X
3) scoobybri
4) GEE PASTA
5) SUD
6) G35_TX

Is there any chance this to be expanded into a Plenum mod shoot out?... With say a cast plenum and angled spacer also tested on the same 05MT lower plenum?...

Old 05-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SUD
Dean,

If we get some definate results that show it doesn't work on the '05, then no I will not keep it...that's why I am not bothering to even unwrap it yet.

and yes I will sell it to you brand new, still in the box for a good price. It's buyer beware so no hard feelings on my part if it doesn't work out for the '05. A brand new uninstalled part is just money tied up doing nothing...I will want to unload it at a decent price.

And I expect to be in Halifax once or twice within the next couple of months, so I may even be able to save you shipping costs. If I were you, I would wait for a little bit to see how this saga turns out, since I would then be able to save you some money.

Trevor
Okay Trevor, it all sounds good to me. I actually hope it works for the '05's too so everybody is happy. If not and I get yours that's cool. I want to get one by about 3rd week of June when I return from a trip to the US and Toronto.

Deane

Old 05-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Is there any chance this to be expanded into a Plenum mod shoot out?... With say a cast plenum and angled spacer also tested on the same 05MT lower plenum?...
I talked to the owner of Factor X engineering today (mainly deals with NSXs) and he has a Dyno Pack dyno, which will give us more accurate readings than a plain jane Dynojet (rules out tire pressure differences from heat) He will do the spacer vs. stock runs for about $100 with coolant temp monitoring as long as the swap out time is not that long.

If we want to do a shootout, I'm sure that we can probably be expecting at least double the price, depending on swap out times, assuming that we do stock, Motordyne spacer, angled spacer, and cast plenum. If somebody wants to sponsor that (and can ship me samples of every product), I'm ok with doing it...for the good of the G35 community. I think most people who have donated are mainly interested in the motordyne vs. stock though.

Ideas?

Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 AM
I talked to the owner of Factor X engineering today (mainly deals with NSXs) and he has a Dyno Pack dyno, which will give us more accurate readings than a plain jane Dynojet (rules out tire pressure differences from heat) He will do the spacer vs. stock runs for about $100 with coolant temp monitoring as long as the swap out time is not that long.

If we want to do a shootout, I'm sure that we can probably be expecting at least double the price, depending on swap out times, assuming that we do stock, Motordyne spacer, angled spacer, and cast plenum. If somebody wants to sponsor that (and can ship me samples of every product), I'm ok with doing it...for the good of the G35 community. I think most people who have donated are mainly interested in the motordyne vs. stock though.

Ideas?
I agree with your last sentence. The people donating money are really interested in whether there is a significant change in HP/tq in their '05 6MTs because we already have it. While a shootout would be great, it really wouldn't appeal to me since I've already made my choice and installed it. Also, it would likely take a significant amount of time to get a Crawford plenum and AAM angled spacer "donated" and shipped to the person doing the trial and by then interest in the original comparison (motordyne vs stock) might fade. The Crawford and AAM products would likely need to be purchased new to obtain them since most people are not willing to uninstall theirs, package and ship it to a stranger, drive around without it for a few weeks, hope it returns to them in good shape with all necessary parts, then reinstall it. I believe if there is a true demonstration of HP gains in an '05 then that would benefit Hydrazine most since I know of no prospective independent/neutral comparo of the other two products on an '05. My vote would be to do the stock vs spacer trial first.

Scooby, can we Paypal you?

Last edited by hensta; 05-14-2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:49 AM
SUD
Yep, I'm with hensta...let's move on this right away with just the '05 comparison. I have the spacer still wrapped in plastic and want to either put it on ASAP or sell it to Deane

Scooby, post or PM me with the Paypal details and I'll shoot you the money.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:23 PM
On a350Z board a sort of related topic. A Crawford Plenum dyno on an 05 Z
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...highlight=dyno
Keeping in mind this is an actual plenum and not the spacer.

Last edited by nuck; 05-15-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Florida G35 Club
I have a new Crawford plenum not installed yet.
Im holding back on this install. I do not think it would be hard to ship it down.
Let me know what you think. Pasta

Old 05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SUD
Yep, I'm with hensta...let's move on this right away with just the '05 comparison. I have the spacer still wrapped in plastic and want to either put it on ASAP or sell it to Deane

Scooby, post or PM me with the Paypal details and I'll shoot you the money.
I'm with you too.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the results, looking forward to seeing more controlled testing done on '05 sticks.

Although it shouldn't be a big shock that plenum mods aren't going to be as effective on '05 models as on previous years, the Nissan engineers redesigned the lower plenum to solve most of the restriction problems correct?

Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ The guy from my350z.com got 7rwhp from 6k rpms and up and made a substantial gain in torque up top too...

Old 05-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by ChazM
^ The guy from my350z.com got 7rwhp from 6k rpms and up and made a substantial gain in torque up top too...
You need to re read that thread. There was no change in "torque"
Unless that was a different thread than I read. Pasta

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Plenum Spacers, Non-RevUp Engine Feedback