Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Yet another Cali crackdown...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 01:43 PM
I personally see people fixing up their rides more as a hobby than to fix them up to engage in illegal activities. People here have spent more than $20k on aftermarket parts alone to put into their cars to make them look "original" compared to others. Yes, they may have made them faster but if it's just pure speed they want, with the money spent on the car and aftermarket parts they could have bought a faster car. After all, we all know the G35 is not known for it's speed. Granted not everybody is like this and it just sucks that a few bad apples do ruin it for the rest of us.

My $0.02

Last edited by Mike_Deezy; 04-04-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2008 | 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by k67p67
Plenty of us reserve the racing for the track. I personally don't understand the legality of the vehicle search. Where's the probable cause? Just because I have a BBK doesn't mean I have illegal engine mods.
Well unfortunately thousands of illegal street races still occur each year. I guess they didn't get the memo that they should reserve it for the tracks huh? Better yet, why don't you tell this to the husband to who lost his wife and two children this past October when two fvcktards decided to race their Mustang and Accord on an El Monte street, smashing into an Altima and killing all three in a horrific fiery death.

Probable cause exists when "the facts and circumstances within the arresting officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime."
First of all, having a modified exhaust over 95db is in violation of the law. You knowingly did this so don't complain when a cop cites you for that. Second, not all cops are certified to cite for equipment violations. Those who are, have been taught to recognize the signs that more violations lay ahead. ie - I've been around enough rice rockets to know who has what. Better yet read C.V.C's 24000 to 28150 to see if your vehicle is compliant.

Personally I wouldn't pull one specific person off the street for an equipment violation. But mix a group of rice rockets all together in a parking lot, the likely hood of them showing off is probable.

Old 04-04-2008 | 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by LjN_728
Well unfortunately thousands of illegal street races still occur each year. I guess they didn't get the memo that they should reserve it for the tracks huh? Better yet, why don't you tell this to the husband to who lost his wife and two children this past October when two fvcktards decided to race their Mustang and Accord on an El Monte street, smashing into an Altima and killing all three in a horrific fiery death.
No one is disputing that street racing occurs. No one is disputing the fact that it all too often has tragic results. Those who participate deserve any punishment that's coming their way.

First of all, having a modified exhaust over 95db is in violation of the law. You knowingly did this so don't complain when a cop cites you for that. Second, not all cops are certified to cite for equipment violations. Those who are, have been taught to recognize the signs that more violations lay ahead. ie - I've been around enough rice rockets to know who has what. Better yet read C.V.C's 24000 to 28150 to see if your vehicle is compliant.

Personally I wouldn't pull one specific person off the street for an equipment violation. But mix a group of rice rockets all together in a parking lot, the likely hood of them showing off is probable.
My HKS exhaust may exceed the 95db ceiling at WOT but not for day-to-day driving. Nevertheless, I wouldn't contest a citation for that (although I think it should be required that the officer witness the excessive db level first-hand and not make assumptions of the violation). The flaw in your logic lies in the assumed correlation between equipment violations and participation in illegal street racing. It goes back to the argument about owning a firearm. Just because I own a gun (or several guns) has no direct relation to my commission of gun-related crimes. It may statistically increase the chances that I will commit a gun-related crime but innocence is an assumption, not an afterthought.

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by k67p67
It goes back to the argument about owning a firearm. Just because I own a gun (or several guns) has no direct relation to my commission of gun-related crimes. It may statistically increase the chances that I will commit a gun-related crime but innocence is an assumption, not an afterthought.
Let me ask, would you give a firearm to a gang member? Remember, it is our Constitutional right to bare arms and so we can't judge who can and cannot have a firearm but the likely hood that this gang member using the firearm in a crime is pretty high if not 100% guaranteed. So you are right in the sense that not every American who owns a firearm will use it in a commission of crime, it just depends on the personality of the individual. For those individuals who do it legal and get caught in the mix, I'm sorry.

With that being said, would you give a suped up rice rocket to a 16-21 yr old? What are the chances that he will race with it? Purty damn high if not 100% guaranteed. How are we, as law enforcement officers, suppose to know if you do or do not illegally street race? We don't therefore we can't afford to take the chances of knowing that if we let it slide, some where down the line a innocent bystander's life is at stake.

btw...on the gun topic, our forefathers of this country would literally turn over in their graves if they knew how strict gun laws are. We limited the types of firearms you are allow to have, AR ban, and the amount of rounds per magazine. This are all preventive measures.

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:32 PM
|
Can I seriously ask, why does one need a turbo kit? Are you planning to drive 65 mph with a suped up engine? No...you hope that your ride will outperform the next car over. It's not that cops are dicks that have nothing better to do but to write citations. It's called preventive policing, not reactive policing.

Not a current statistic for 2007-2008, but the Institute for Highway Safety reported that in 1999, 5,749 teens were killed in motor vehicle accidents. Statistics also show that for every 1,000 illegal street races, 49 injuries occur.

Let me ask you this...is one U.S military life worth the thousands lives of Iraqi insurgents? Let me also ask, if you were deployed in Iraq, would you rather destroy a known insurgent hideout or wait until they pop out with their AK-47?

We in law enforcement know the direct correlation between engine mods, illegal street racing and death. Take the engine mod out of the circle, you'll have less chances of hot headed teens racing. There are times and places when tracks are open to the public for legal races. If there was an unwritten rule amongst the racers that no street racing would occur except at the tracks, law enforcement wouldn't come down so hard. It is the street racers that have caused this. Like the old saying goes "It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch."
Wait a minute... there's a huge difference between a terrorist and a tax paying citizen...

Preventive policing??? Have you ever seen Minority Report? As a human being, you must see soimething wrong with that concept. If you don't, you've obviously lost touch with humanity somewhere between the stress of the job and the power the badge gives you... I don't see anything wrong with tint tickets, no front plate, etc... but accusations of racing???

Why would someone mod their car? There are plenty of car enthusiasts who mod their cars just to mod it... Why would someone buy a twin turbo Porsche or Bimmer, or any 300+ hp car?

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:37 PM
Can I seriously ask, why does one need a turbo kit? Are you planning to drive 65 mph with a suped up engine? No...you hope that your ride will outperform the next car over. It's not that cops are dicks that have nothing better to do but to write citations. It's called preventive policing, not reactive policing.

Not a current statistic for 2007-2008, but the Institute for Highway Safety reported that in 1999, 5,749 teens were killed in motor vehicle accidents. Statistics also show that for every 1,000 illegal street races, 49 injuries occur.

Let me ask you this...is one U.S military life worth the thousands lives of Iraqi insurgents? Let me also ask, if you were deployed in Iraq, would you rather destroy a known insurgent hideout or wait until they pop out with their AK-47?

We in law enforcement know the direct correlation between engine mods, illegal street racing and death. Take the engine mod out of the circle, you'll have less chances of hot headed teens racing. There are times and places when tracks are open to the public for legal races. If there was an unwritten rule amongst the racers that no street racing would occur except at the tracks, law enforcement wouldn't come down so hard. It is the street racers that have caused this. Like the old saying goes "It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch."
Hmmm ever since cars were built men have been racing( and women now). It has been around from moonshine to the back street races. Has nothing to do with Imports. I'm 44 and my first car was a 1970 Nova that I modified and rev'd and spun the tires and acted like any other teen.

So the rich and famous Like Jay Leno for instance has modified cars and does he get pulled over? How about the rich or the people with the Euro's with high HP? These cars you see in Hollywood,Brentwood,Bel-Air, the Valley etc like Lambo's,ferrari's,Porsche's aston martins, bentley's the list goes on and on Do they need 500+HP? Modifing cars is fun for most of us. I see plenty of Muscle car meets where they light up the wheels and rev. These guys are my age or better. NO Cops there!!!!! How about when I'm getting stopped or the next RICER for a loud exhaust and a Harley goes by with no Baffles Loud as Hell. I think through time and reports of crimes there have been more deaths related to bikes than RICE. The Import target is an easy way to get revenue for a Dept.

Funny thing about that Hooters place. I recall seeing a bunch of meets set for that place and the manager being freindly and some girls even posed with cars. I call him a bandwagoneer.

I'm not saying some people don't race and get carried away. It just has to be fair justice for all.
Now here is some more for you:
I think more people have been killed from Rich and famous or older adults drinking and driving than street modified cars.
I think more peple have been hurt or killed from the truck that is illegally or improperly loaded sky high with tires or other loads. How about trucks not having the bed tarps down to stop from debris being thrown from the vehicle. How about stopping the car emitting smoke and it is a piece of junk that shouldn't be on the road.
I see more soccer moms and SUV's, hybrids, and older adults SPEeDING to work on a daily basis...Or
HOW ABOUT THAT DAMN PERSON ON THE CELL GOING 45 IN THE CENTER LaNE and people passing them like crazy and all...Ticket those people.

MY Brother as a Firefighter I have cleaned up more messes from drugs,drunks,cellphones, people not looking out for motorcyles, and careless people than street racing...I want to see a muscle car meet stopped and exits blocked or better yet a BIKER bar with bikes out front blocked off and their rides checked...

Can you spew off some of those codes?
How about the other statistics?
Plese be fair and post up all statistics you have from Vehicle related deaths and instances...

Last edited by 2drwild; 04-04-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2008 | 05:39 PM

are you serious? If thats the case, then I hope every time you see a Ferarri or Lambo, or any other fast exotics, you pull them over and ticket them. What do you need a 500HP car for? or how about a SRT-8 Cherokee or Cayenne Turbo? What do you need a truck that fast for? Guess they must want to go faster than the next car or truck, so they should get a ticket every time they drive it. Now tell me, doesnt that sound just STUPID!!!!? Just cause my car can go faster, doesnt mean im gonna race it. Its just nice to know its there.

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Wait a minute... there's a huge difference between a terrorist and a tax paying citizen...
That wasn't my point. I was just trying to say that if you killed all the insurgents, countless lives of American soldiers would've been saved. Can you and I agreed on that? With that said, this is what the California legislation has done. They created equipment violations in hopes to deter one from modding his vehicle, reducing the chances of street racing, thus reducing the number of lives killed in automobile accidents.

Preventive policing??? Have you ever seen Minority Report?
Yes preventive policing. Would you like for me to catch the burglar after he ransacks your home or would you like for me to question the suspicious guy that doesn't belong in your neighborhood? The only Minority Report I've seen is the one with Tom Cruise and I don't think that's the one you're talking about, sorry...

Why would someone mod their car? There are plenty of car enthusiasts who mod their cars just to mod it... Why would someone buy a twin turbo Porsche or Bimmer, or any 300+ hp car?
Like I said, I'm not one to cite you for equipment violations but if you're a spectator at a race, I have reasonable suspicion that you've either committed or will commit the crime of illegal street racing. Let me ask, how do you think ALLLLL those agencies got tipped off? um...maybe because the residents or store owners complained of illegal street racing? A "sting" if u want to call it, doesn't happen overnight. They had to have done something to get the attention of the law.

I love modded cars that are tastefully done. I bought my car because I love everything about it. Hey if you want a 300+ hp car, then don't buy a Honda Accord.

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:44 PM
That wasn't my point. I was just trying to say that if you killed all the insurgents, countless lives of American soldiers would've been saved. Can you and I agreed on that? With that said, this is what the California legislation has done. They created equipment violations in hopes to deter one from modding his vehicle, reducing the chances of street racing, thus reducing the number of lives killed in automobile accidents.

Yes preventive policing. Would you like for me to catch the burglar after he ransacks your home or would you like for me to question the suspicious guy that doesn't belong in your neighborhood? The only Minority Report I've seen is the one with Tom Cruise and I don't think that's the one you're talking about, sorry...

Like I said, I'm not one to cite you for equipment violations but if you're a spectator at a race, I have reasonable suspicion that you've either committed or will commit the crime of illegal street racing. Let me ask, how do you think ALLLLL those agencies got tipped off? um...maybe because the residents or store owners complained of illegal street racing? A "sting" if u want to call it, doesn't happen overnight. They had to have done something to get the attention of the law.

I love modded cars that are tastefully done. I bought my car because I love everything about it. Hey if you want a 300+ hp car, then don't buy a Honda Accord.

none of us were racing. we just finished eating dinner and everyone was going home. no racing at all

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:45 PM

Yeah just get and EVO,WRX or Dodge Neon.......

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:49 PM
Man, surprisingly, everybody makes sense in all their threads and I want to congratulate everyone on it. LJN good point on the gang member with the gun, Im a ex gang member, good point on the street racing, for I did do street race, good point on the turbo/SC, for I do have a SC, good point on the police point of view, because I am going to become a cop
Everyone who went with and against, great points, you all make sense! But screw it, reality check, they hunting tuners down, so just watch out, if you dont like? You cant do anything about it

I do see a very good point with the high-class 500+ hp cars, ferraris lambos etc. They say if you dont street race why you put mods on the car? Well if you dont street race why do you buy a lambo or dodge viper or charger etc?? As for us, we mod because we can't afford a lambo etc, If i had a lambo I wont need to modd it, and since i cant afford it, I mod my car, and a lambo will still smoke me I got 350whp, woop didooo haha

Again, great points everybody haha, very interesting!!!!

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:56 PM
Retired SuperMod
Staff Alumni
Problem with LjN_728's logic is the fact that he is implying that everyone who modifies their engine will participate in illegal activities. It's true that many "enthusiasts" modify their cars with the intentions of street racing. But that's not always the case. For some of us, its a hobby.

Don't assume.

Old 04-04-2008 | 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by RedSkylineGT
The Import target is an easy way to get revenue for a Dept.
I have to disagree with that or else why is the state granting so many funds into this? It is the State of CA that recognizes this problem and wants something done about it. Certain cities literally have task force teams which are solely sponsored by the state.

HOW ABOUT THAT DAMN PERSON ON THE CELL GOING 45 IN THE CENTER LaNE
July 1, 2008. Bye bye to cell phone use while driving a motor vehicle.

How about when I'm getting stopped or the next RICER for a loud exhaust and a Harley goes by with no Baffles Loud as Hell.

MY Brother as a Firefighter I have cleaned up more messes from drugs,drunks,cellphones, people not looking out for motorcyles...
Now I can't say anything for the EXTREMELY annoying pipes, I understand as a rider myself, having this is important as you already explained why.

Plese be fair and post up all statistics you have from Vehicle related deaths and instances...
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 1975-2006:

Passenger vehicle deaths:

2000 - 32,109
2001 - 31,938
2002 - 32,724
2003 - 32,166
2004 - 31,750
2005 - 31,455
2006 - 30,476

Motorist deaths:

2000 - 2,829
2001 - 3,123
2002 - 3,187
2003 - 3,641
2004 - 3,904
2005 - 4,460
2006 - 4,697

Old 04-04-2008 | 06:14 PM
WOW.......Very Interesting

Old 04-04-2008 | 06:18 PM
Wings Nation
Premier Member
...Probable cause exists when "the facts and circumstances within the arresting officer's knowledge are sufficient to warrant a prudent person to believe that a suspect has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime."
just so i understand this right, are you saying that a cop has probably cause / reasonable suspicion to search a car for illegal modifications even if its sitting in a parking lot with no occupants and the engine isn't running?

i don't know how the police can justify searching a car for simply 'looking' like it probably has modifications. i would imagine that most of the cars that got searched & ticketed were not on when the cops arrived providing no way to tell if there were engine or exhaust mods.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yet another Cali crackdown...