TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Finally the long over due props for John! He paved the road over two years ago, here and on my350z' OC thread.

Congrats on the freshly built engine. Now follow our regimental break-in routine for proper seating and sealing of rings and pistons for engine longevity. V35 Skyline GT (John) can outline our routine. A used oil analysis is your best friend. Use Terry Dyson's services: www.dysonanalysis.com

I just noticed that I didn't thank John aka V35 Skyline GT on my post above, sorry. Thanks John for helping the community Big ups to you too Curtis aka ZeeForce. Yes sir, believe me, I will follow the break-in for the V2.

Last edited by SouthBayGSedan; 04-28-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Hey, thanks for the kudos. I do not get over here often, although I suibscribe to this thread and respond to posts now and then. John pretty much lives here, so if you need some help on the break-in routine and John does not post it up (I highly doubt he will not) then give me a holler and I will post up the routine. I should probably get it on a text file to post up from time to time.

g/l

Cheers
Curtis

Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 AM
picking up my car on friday with the new engine in it, im wondering what exactly is the best way to break it in, and for how long, is it as simple as babying it no WOT and dont go over 4k rpms till around 10k if possible? i mean is that the ideal method?

also i saw a few other people asked but no responses, what does this do to the value of the car?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Many break-in methods out there and highly debated subject in nutshell.
I've been asked not to disclose my method from my Tribologist that has his proprietary method of which I used and shall honor, sry.
What I can tell you is change your oil frequently during first 3750 miles to flush out the metals and assembly lubes.

I did this:
Changed oil/filter asap when I first got replacement (25-75mi)
Then again at 500 on odo.
Then again at ~1500 on odo with filter.
Then go until 3750 and change with filter.

^ that last oil change I took sample of oil and got an UOA (used oil analysis) on it with www.dysonanalysis.com
He'll take excellent care tuning/break-in your VQ for success, performance and longevity.

Thanx for the props members. It's been my life since Jan 2006 with my VQ and issue is almost behind me with 100% success on my replacement w00t w00t.
Curtis...Terry say ok on disclosing that break-in method publicly to you? Has not with me...

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 03-19-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
6MT Coupe
Not trying to sound like an a$$hat with break-in method, but rest assured the VQ doesn't care when that initial proprietary method is used as long as it's done at some point. It can be done even after the 3750mi point I was told way back then, so don't worry. Further break-in also depends on the VQ analysis results, as every VQ is different when it comes to internal raw number results and metallurgy build.

ZeeForce can attest to that when we compared ours together privately how ours broke-in at different rates and mileage, when we could continue further proprietary break-in methods given depending on UOA results. What oil to use, which btw were different from each others (interesting), etc...

So, with that said I can suggest that you follow the factory break-in procedures in the mean-time until after your first UOA results and break-in method privately disclosed to you. Factory says you're all done at 1200mi....not true imo and my UOA's beyond that mileage are proof written in stone. UOA's are your friend. Raw numbers do not lie on what's happening internally.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 03-19-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added: 'metallurgy build' in a sentence
Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 AM
^ thanks for the info, appreciated

how about how the replacement affects the value of the car??

Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 AM
^So true.....and he did say to me it was ok....there is a lot more that Terry discloses for his paid services. And if all his secrets were leaked out, then he would be out of business real fast. He does more business on the commercial side than with the public and almost threw in the towel on the public consultations due to leaks.

There is one more break in procedure that is very important. I will see if I can find the thread on which forum that I posted it on....right now I am too lazy. Got a lot on my plate.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by sessman
picking up my car on friday with the new engine in it, im wondering what exactly is the best way to break it in, and for how long, is it as simple as babying it no WOT and dont go over 4k rpms till around 10k if possible? i mean is that the ideal method?

also i saw a few other people asked but no responses, what does this do to the value of the car?
See John's post above, should answer just about everything. As far as value, imho it should add value because there is an engine with less miles on it than the chassis. Which I would be more inclined to purchase if I knew the engine was new.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Agree and with a very common known issue with the oem revup VQ's with 'the' revised replacement already done...

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
^So true.....and he did say to me it was ok....there is a lot more that Terry discloses for his paid services. And if all his secrets were leaked out, then he would be out of business real fast. He does more business on the commercial side than with the public and almost threw in the towel on the public consultations due to leaks.

There is one more break in procedure that is very important. I will see if I can find the thread on which forum that I posted it on....right now I am too lazy. Got a lot on my plate.

Ok...you got the green light, I did not about that.

It was something about WOT bursts x times still staying under 4K rpm I think.
Been awhile for me way back when I got mine and did that.
Go for it when you find it and let everyone know.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Congrats on getting your dealer to replace the motor.

I'm dealing with it now. Have been working with the service manager, but plan to meet with the general manager this week to discuss my dissatisfaction with service thusfar. Have received no help from Infiniti consumer affairs. They say it's up to the dealer, who hasn't made a decision in over 2 weeks after documented (by them) out of limits OC.

Regardless, I plan to sell the car when this is all over. So if anyone wants a 30K mile '06 6MT with a fresh engine, PM me. It should be available in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
6MT Coupe
^ My story is long in how 'long' it took me to get mine. Had to play hard ball many times with their games, but finally got it.

If no luck talking with GM at dealer, call Infiniti again and ask (respectively demand) the regional rep to talk with you. It's the dealer that calls the regional rep for replacement approval after you meet TSB 'replacement' guidelines.

Dealer could be stalling b/c of their warranty to non warranty monthly ratio numbers. Long story about that, but possible dealer has had to much warranty claims with Infiniti that month. Too much = audit by Infiniti on them = no one wants that = stall tactic on your warranty approval until next month

Regardless, if none of that works, file complaint with BBB. That gets Infiniti's attention 'real' quick.

G/L

Old 03-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Just found out that they determined my OC was within limits. Not sure how. Details pending.

Consumer Affairs said they may ask me for my maintenance records. I do my own oil changes and keep records of all of it, but the warranty book says I have to provide receipts. I don't keep my WalMart receipts from my Mobil 1 purchases. Any idea if they can hold me to that as a showstopper? I looked online for warranty law info, but haven't found anything yet.
Thanks, G

Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 PM
^ let me briefly share with you my story...

i bought my 05 6mt coupe in february after my acura was totaled, i bought it private party with 65k on the odometer. i read on these boards about the OC issue and decided what the hell i need an oil change anyway ill have them do it and start my test. after 500 miles i was at work (car was on flat surface sat for about 5 hours) and i decided to check my oil, it was about half low already at 500 miles, which is about 10mm if i remember correctly low. the graph obviously says anywhere below 6mm in 0-1000 is "bad". i took it right down to infiniti which happens to be about a mile away from where i work. they said they would check it and have a seat inside. after about 45 min they came and got me and told me my oil looked fine, i asked to see the dipstick and they brought me down to the garage, the mechanic pulled out the dipstick and what do ya know it was full. i calmly explained i had checked my oil about an hour ago and it was below half way on the dipstick. she assured me no oil was added but to come back at 1000 miles and we would check again. however she also decided to add, "well if you want us to fix anything you know you have to have every receipt for ever oil change right?" i said thats ridiculous the car is four years old, do you save all your oil change receipts, im the second owner, she said she did. i went home and told my dad the story and he told me to call and speak with the service manager and let her know our attorney would be contacting her on the matter. the service managers attitude completely changed and said their was no need to hire an attorney, to bring back the car at 1000 miles and her and i would both check the oil, i could watch my car in the bay while it was waiting to be checked with the hood down, i agreed. at 1030 miles i went in and had it checked again, they did everything they said and i didnt take my eyes off of the vehicle, the service manager and i then watched the mechanic check the oil and measure the amount lost, 16mm. she looked shocked and asked how it could be so low. she then had him raise the car up to check for any leaks, none. she was extremely friendly at this point and said to contact the previous owner and try and get all the receipts i could. it just so happens the previous owner was a young guy and i kept in touch with him because he was pretty chill, he said he went to express tire almost every time for oil changes and walmart for a few. i went to express tire and they printed me out 5 pages of records of maintenance, about 9 oil changes i think, and i got one from walmart the same way (walmart actually faxed it right to the service manager) after she got all the records she was very impressed, and said she would fax it all in to infiniti, she called me 3 days later and said the replacement was approved. after all said and done at 67k miles, second owner, dropped on tein springs and rims with nismo front end (looked like it had been raced probably) i got a brand new engine, all because of this board and just saying what the hell lets see what happens...oh ya when i picked up the car she said ok this is all covered under your powertrain warranty it was a 10k job so hopefully your happy, haha

thats my story

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Great story.

I'm the original owner, so they'll probably ask for receipts. Just because I have a receipt for a jug of oil, doesn't mean I actually changed it, but that'll likely be their justification, although they haven't asked me for any of my records.

I consulted a lawyer and he said that if we went to court, I'd probably be able to convince them that I'm **** and take care of my cars, so no receipts would be necessary. But, if I can't make them go my way, I'll save myself the hassle and just sell the car. I hate to let them get away with it, but I just don't want to deal with the frustration. As much confidence as I've lost in them now, I don't think I'd want them doing the work anyway.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by GeorgeM
Just found out that they determined my OC was within limits. Not sure how. Details pending.
Your paper work will state consumption amount from official OC testing by them. Look at TSB OC chart to see if they're correct...or not.

Originally Posted by sessman
^ let me briefly share with you my story...

i bought my 05 6mt coupe in february after my acura was totaled, i bought it private party with 65k on the odometer. i read on these boards about the OC issue and decided what the hell i need an oil change anyway ill have them do it and start my test. after 500 miles i was at work (car was on flat surface sat for about 5 hours) and i decided to check my oil, it was about half low already at 500 miles, which is about 10mm if i remember correctly low. the graph obviously says anywhere below 6mm in 0-1000 is "bad". i took it right down to infiniti which happens to be about a mile away from where i work. they said they would check it and have a seat inside. after about 45 min they came and got me and told me my oil looked fine, i asked to see the dipstick and they brought me down to the garage, the mechanic pulled out the dipstick and what do ya know it was full. i calmly explained i had checked my oil about an hour ago and it was below half way on the dipstick. she assured me no oil was added but to come back at 1000 miles and we would check again. however she also decided to add, "well if you want us to fix anything you know you have to have every receipt for ever oil change right?" i said thats ridiculous the car is four years old, do you save all your oil change receipts, im the second owner, she said she did. i went home and told my dad the story and he told me to call and speak with the service manager and let her know our attorney would be contacting her on the matter. the service managers attitude completely changed and said their was no need to hire an attorney, to bring back the car at 1000 miles and her and i would both check the oil, i could watch my car in the bay while it was waiting to be checked with the hood down, i agreed. at 1030 miles i went in and had it checked again, they did everything they said and i didnt take my eyes off of the vehicle, the service manager and i then watched the mechanic check the oil and measure the amount lost, 16mm. she looked shocked and asked how it could be so low. she then had him raise the car up to check for any leaks, none. she was extremely friendly at this point and said to contact the previous owner and try and get all the receipts i could. it just so happens the previous owner was a young guy and i kept in touch with him because he was pretty chill, he said he went to express tire almost every time for oil changes and walmart for a few. i went to express tire and they printed me out 5 pages of records of maintenance, about 9 oil changes i think, and i got one from walmart the same way (walmart actually faxed it right to the service manager) after she got all the records she was very impressed, and said she would fax it all in to infiniti, she called me 3 days later and said the replacement was approved. after all said and done at 67k miles, second owner, dropped on tein springs and rims with nismo front end (looked like it had been raced probably) i got a brand new engine, all because of this board and just saying what the hell lets see what happens...oh ya when i picked up the car she said ok this is all covered under your powertrain warranty it was a 10k job so hopefully your happy, haha

thats my story
One dealer I had payed that game on me. Another one thought it'd be cute to over fill starting their official OC testing with me.

Basic English comp would've made your story much easier to read. That hurt my eyes and brain...sry but I tell it like it is. Paragraphs for starters.

Glad all worked out to your favor. Be sure to break it in correctly and change oil/filter often during that time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB