TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
PPL with the oil service receipt dilemma:
All I can say is look at flow chart on pg 2 of TSB. It answers a lot questions about oil receipts and/or history, more so lack of if your answer is no from 'first' box. Some dealers are trying to grasp onto attempting denial, Infiniti too if no reciepts. I call BS on that. Cut n dry in what what flow chart says with two ending results in 'black and white' on that flow chart. With or without oil change histories.

Defs:
I know you see what I see around that and who should pay. Those claim codes are for dealer to submit to Infiniti and get paid back. I can see this one a mile away. You pay for oil/filter change. Dealer also submits claim codes for warranty claim per TSB on oil/filter change..double dipping...cha ching in dealer pockets. But in hind sight, pick you battles on that one. Is it worth calling them out on that what TSB is indicating with claim codes and trying to charge you or let it go and just pay for an oil service to start OC testing.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT

Defs:
I know you see what I see around that and who should pay. Those claim codes are for dealer to submit to Infiniti and get paid back. I can see this one a mile away. You pay for oil/filter change. Dealer also submits claim codes for warranty claim per TSB on oil/filter change..double dipping...cha ching in dealer pockets. But in hind sight, pick you battles on that one. Is it worth calling them out on that what TSB is indicating with claim codes and trying to charge you or let it go and just pay for an oil service to start OC testing.
That's exactly what I first thought of when they reaffirmed the need for me to pay for an oil change when I mentioned that I was "pretty sure" the TSB stated that the oil change was a warranty issue.

I introspectively mentioned it again with a "I thought there was a warranty schedule for the work..." with the same response of my needing to pay, so I dropped it.

The $30-40 isn't the big deal really, but it's making me a bit nervous on how the whole testing will proceed in the future.

I checked the oil again after another 200 miles of driving in the past week and it looks like it's using quite a bit of oil, which has me even more anxious about getting it taken care of if there is a consumption issue.

I'll play their game to get the process rolling, then after that I'm going to be referencing the TSB frequently.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Study that TSB, understand 110% what it's saying. Knowledge is power to alleviate most games Don't let your G out of your sight either. Many stories of dealers and their games on many OC threads. Keep us updated... G/L

Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I had to pay for the oil change, which I disagreed with. If I end up getting a new motor, I'll ask for a refund on it just to prove the point.

After making my argument that OC was out of limits, they conceded that they pretty much screwed up the test by recording the wrong mileage a couple of times and that the records were too confusing for Infiniti to accept, so we'll do the OC test again. They offered (rightly so) to pay for the oil change this time since it was their fault.

It's still a PITA to go to ther dealer every 1000 miles, but there's really no option for me if I want to get some results.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM
6MT Coupe
^
Red flag #1:
They screwed up testing 1st time = games imo, but go with the flow with micromanaging your documentation this time from now on.

Red flag #2:
Fresh oil change 2nd time was not necessary per TSB in your case, but whatever. I could go on and on why they changed oil again knowing much about oil characteristics, especially when it's in an oil burner. Doubt seriously they're dumb as a rock and they've made it seem as a favor or nice thing to do for you...uhh nope, think again.

Red flag #3:
TSB has a broad mileage return range while in testing. Make that works for you not them, keeping your OC rate in mind. I returned at a qt low; screw their mileage request. I was within TSB return mileage range so test could not be deemed void. Make the OC rate mileage chart columns work for you not them as well.

You only have to return 'once' for official testing results, not many times.

Dealers...can't live them them, but can't live without them in certain cases. This OC issue being one of them.....

Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 AM
neewby here, have been posting on the other sites with no help to speak of, You all are much more informed and passionate about these cars. Having said that I have a 06 M-35 that I bought off lease, very clean well maintained. I was loosing approx 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. Infiniti has replaced my long block no questions asked. I have seen the part #'s for the new long block and mine are different. My invoice lists 10102-AC3M1. What did I get?
This is a really great site, this is my 4th Infiniti and the first problem!!!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
6MT Coupe
^Only know these for the VQ35DE engine:

G35 replacements:
1st revised Revups = 10102-AC7M1 (no longer used)
2nd revised Revups = 10102-AC7M9 (currently used)
Non-Revups = 10102-AM8M1

350Z replacements:
1st revised Revups = 10102-AC7MA (no longer used)
2nd revised Revups = 10102-AC7MZ (currently used)
Non-Revups = 10102-CD7M1

Try here and search with your part number:
http://www.riversideinfiniti.com/j/i/22410/

Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
so you can just return one time right? whats the max? 3000 miles then get check?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Dranom
so you can just return one time right? whats the max? 3000 miles then get check?
Ain't nothing saying it's more than once, unless customer requests.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...itb08-002c.pdf

^ It's all in the TSB bro

Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I started my oil consumption test this past weekend and the dealer said I may have to come back twice...to get two data points?! I'm glad I read up on this thread as it sounds like only one return visit is required.

Also, I was exactly at 30,000 miles at the start of the test and the dealership said Infiniti may require me to have the 30K service done if I fail the test (I've been doing all of my own maintenance on the car up to this point). This also sounds bogus to me.

Last edited by Paragon; 04-05-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
My M-35 was checked twice but the reading was the same both times. The Dealer just had to wait for Infiniti to OK the replacement as the replacement of M-35 engines is rare according to them. As far as the 30,000 service I would do the trans drain/flush the rest is just fluff for the dealer and I think they are jerking your chain.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM
6MT Coupe
30K is mostly check this check that = fluff...agree. Oil/filter and tranny/diff service too I believe is in that, under premium/severe op conditions schedules. If test started at 30K, then probably an oil/filter was done to start testing. Check your copy of service order. Check your owners manual on what a 30K really involves. Collect your facts, play smart and call them out with any BS.

M35...that's basically a non revup VQ35DE I think right?
Funny, over a year ago when I was starting my OC testing, there was a M35 in there for VQ replacement due to OC. They said that was rare occurrence too.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs down Owned at the dealer today

Originally Posted by citymunky
I just read this whole thread front to back.

Anyway I just started mt OC test today with Moble 1 5W-30. I have 47770 miles on my 2005. I'll post any updates.
So I hit 1000 miles yesertday, and I stopped at the dealer today so I could have them check my oil. Mind you I just check it myself before going, it was just under the "L", and i took a few pictures with my ruler. So after sitting in the waiting room for like a 1/2 hour, I get call up to the desk. The Service Adviser told me that they couldn't complete the test because I used Moblie 1 oil, and I was suppose to use Dyno oil. The Master Mech told me "it looks like work has been done on my engine, and it looks like my oil pan was removed before", because the bolts look "beat up," i guess. I told them my oil pan has NEVER been removed, which it hasn't. The Service Adviser say I could drive off and come back at 50500 miles or do another oil change and start over. So I'm ****, and the Service Manager is out to lunch. I call Infiniti Consumer Affairs, and they are worthless, they said my problem was between me and the Dealership. However I did open a case again the Dealership. So when the Manager come back and I talked to her, she informs me that I never "offically" started a OC test, she pulls up my last Work Order from 1000 Miles ago, and yup that's nothing that notes me starting of a OC test. I then asked why can't use Moble 1 for the OC test, and she said Infiniti doesn't recommend Synthetic oil. Which I know is BS BTW. So after my oil is changed, I get the Work Order paper, and start reading it, my heart dropped. Line 2 reads OC test started Blah Blah "... ALSO HAS CATALST CODE B2 SAME SIDE WHERE COILS WHERE CROSSED MAY HAVE DAMMAGED PISTON WALLS."

The story behind that is when I was de-modding, I have to remove my painted valve covers. I was doing the right side, and two of my friends were doing the left side. When my friends installed the coil packs, and swapped the # 3 and #5 the coil plugs by mistake. After everything was back to OEM spec's I started the my car and it sound like a WRX Sti, and I throw P300 (Engine Mis-fire). Over the next 4 days I did everything from check for vaccum leaks, buy new spark plugs, swap coil packs and a Cyliner Compression Test. All test were good. I couldn't figure it out, nor any other of my G35 guru's. So I give up and took it to the dealer, and the Master Tech found the swapped coil plugs. After that I told them to start my OC test with Moble 1 because I been using sythetic for over 3 years already (AMSOil). At that point nobody said not to use Moble 1.

After I left the dealer that day I notice I have a small exhaust leak on the drivers side, so when I replaced the gasket I found that I blow my OEM cat out. After I keep throwing P403 (Cat bad {bank2}). So everyday I just been resetting my code. Today I forget to get rid of the code before I stopped by Infiniti. So when I read the bull**** the Master Tech wrote, I asked the Service Manager WTF, how can anybody know I have "DAMAGED PISTON WALLS." without breaking the engine down and inspecting it. She told they have to document everything as they see it.

So I talked a good friend so owns a Z, and he say I should take my G to the Nissan Dealer, and do a Compression Test, to get a truthful answers. This will cancel the assumption about my damage piston walls. Also if I have to do one at the dealership, I have numbers to go off of.

Originally Posted by GeorgeM
I'm dealing with it now. Have been working with the service manager, but plan to meet with the general manager this week to discuss my dissatisfaction with service thusfar.

Let me know how that goes, it looks like we are dealing with the same crappy dealership (cB).

Last edited by citymunky; 04-17-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^damn! yeah when i started my OC they used regular oil so my engine didnt burn that much oil like when i used mobil 1

Old 04-17-2009, 07:45 AM
That's crap. I provided M1 at the start of the last test and they had no issues. I plan to do the same with the new test which will start next week.

CB is really bad. I have zero confidence in them to do anything right. Unfortunately, the next nearest dealer is 2 hrs away in Richmond.

Concur that Consumer Affairs is worthless.

Keep good records and notes and prepare your case to talk to the GM when it's done.

BTW, have fun cleaning the oil splatter out of the engine bay after oil level checks. How hard is it to not splatter oil when pulling out the fickin dipstick? Apparently too hard for these guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB