TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I just bought a G35 2005 with 27,000 miles on it. When I go to my Infiniti dealer how much does the OC testing cost if anything and what do I need to provide? I am worried that being a second owner will screw me.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by UberDriver88
So, I just bought a G35 2005 with 27,000 miles on it. When I go to my Infiniti dealer how much does the OC testing cost if anything and what do I need to provide? I am worried that being a second owner will screw me.
If it is under warranty then it won't cost anything. And the warranty is with the car, not the owner.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Ohhh, so is it just the powertrain warranty that will cover it.

Rich

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Got my new engine last week at 23k on my 06coupe. It was hell getting this though, let me explain:

I started an oil consumption test at douglass infiniti in summit nj. They told me i could take it to any dealer in 1000-1500 to get the oil level checked. I took it to Lynnes Infiniti in NJ to get it read and they said it did indeed burn too much oil, but Douglass didnt enter the warranty claim in the system correctly and they had to redo it.

So now I was dealing with Lynnes and they started the new OCT for me. After 1200 I took the car back to Lynnes and they closed. No longer an infiniti dealer! GAH!!! Went back to Douglas (around 1700 miles so we restarted it)

Finally 3 months after I started this I finally finished it and my car burned 32mm more oil than suppose to.

During this time I did rev the car to 6-7k in every gear. MPG was at 17-19. I would also downshift instead of brake when I could.

This may or may not have helped my OCT be 32mm low. Or I may have had a serious OC issue. I did have aftermarket mods and they did point them out that they may be a problem when trying to get the new engine. I held my ground and argued that nothing I have would effect oil consumption. At the time I had a stillen intak ebox / z tube, and copper TB upgrade. I removed my spacers before the tests.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Glad to hear you stood your ground and got your replacement...

Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I when back to the Dealership last week, to check my oil level again. They noted on my paperwork that I was a QRT low (I know it's suppost to be in MM's). Anyway they filled and topped off my engine oil, and told me to return in another 1000 miles. They reason was due to lack of oil change history and my swapped injection wires from the last visit. The Service Manager told me to bring any oil change recipents I have (I have a stuff going back to a year and half ago, I lost all others when I moved to VA). They also noted they suspect "BAD RINGS" on my paperwork.

Now I know they are playing games with them adding oil and telling me to come back, and bring my recipents in. But if playing their game gets me a new engine, i'll play. The second they start talking some major BS when I go back next month, I'm going to pull their cards.

https://g35driver.com/forums/4128672-post568.html

Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
^one dealer told me that I wasn't eligible for the TSB cause I couldn't come up with it's COMPLETE oil change history. I bought my car used and wasn't provided it's complete service records. I hope I'm not SOL.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
^ Manager said (in your other post) 'he' talk to Infiniti for you...I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him with their attitude so far. It's obvious they don't want to help you.

I'd call Infiniti Customer Relations regardless and get 'file/case number' <--- that's important for your documentation if needed later on.

You can file complaint with the BBB and FTC against dealer and/or Infiniti too.

Try another dealer that's not such an asshat or go legal if Infiniti also is still being stupid about this and won't help you.

G/L
Dealer replaced my valve covers and some gaskets and they told me to come back in 1000 miles to see if that fixes the problem.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 PM
I dont get the resistance by these dealers, granted my car is a M-35 but when I complained to the dealer re: OC, they checked my pcv valve, did a compression check. Sealed the engine and waited 1000 miles to check quanity, couple days later they call me to tell me a new long block was ordered. My car did have a complete history of dealer oil changes so I guess there was not much to waffle over.

I'm a big PM guy and like to do most of my own maintenence but with these engines gettting more and more complex I am going to continue with the basic dealer oil changes.

Sign of the times, I prepaid for 3 Nissan Dealership oil changes for $45.00 total. That is $15.00 per oil change for oil and filter. I cannot even buy the filter and oil for that money. I also get the documentation of factory service.... a no brainer to me.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
Dealer replaced my valve covers and some gaskets and they told me to come back in 1000 miles to see if that fixes the problem.
It's not the cause of this OC issue, but hey least you have new covers now due to this possible issue on some:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...rranty-up.html

Originally Posted by Jairen
^one dealer told me that I wasn't eligible for the TSB cause I couldn't come up with it's COMPLETE oil change history. I bought my car used and wasn't provided it's complete service records. I hope I'm not SOL.
I'd say you're not SOL. Here's the flow chart from the revised TSB on May 2008.
Bottomline...you either get a longblock or not, depending if your OC is bad enough or acceptable from the OC chart.
Lack of service reciepts 'do not' deny you the TSB benefits.

G/L

Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
6MT Coupe
Here's the most current TSB and should answer many redundant questions asked here.

G/L everyone.....

Parting Note:
I've deemed my replacement as a success.
10K on VQ now, only 12mm down in 5K miles and still showing signs of improvement (I can live with that).
It's been a long battle for me folks (since 1-2006 when I bought new) but I'm done with all this....finally!!
All the best to all affected and hope I was help to some here over the years.

Later

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 05-26-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Added: Parting Note at end
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Parting Note:
I've deemed my replacement as a success.
10K on VQ now, only 12mm down in 5K miles and still showing signs of improvement (I can live with that).
It's been a long battle for me folks (since 1-2006 when I bought new) but I'm done with all this....finally!!
All the best to all affected and hope I was help to some here over the years.

Later
Great! And future good luck to you as well.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Alright i just got back from the dealer infiniti tustin, ca and the tech said im qualified but he advised me to get the receipts for my previous oil changes.

Also since im on coils he said he needs the car on stock suspension or the dealer will charge me for uninstall

Hopefully i can get approval for a new engine. Also ill call infiniti customer service for a claim number.

Any other tips you guys can give me?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
After thinking I was in the clear I found my car is consuming oil too.
06' 6mt (bought in June 06')
15mm down from H line after 2k miles from oil change.
I'll be going in next week to begin OC test.
Luckily I have all oil change documentation.

Words of wisdom for anyone just finding out that they have the oc prob....
Read all the main threads on the oc is on Driver and my350Z.
It will give you a wealth of info.
You can find out all the tricks the dealership might pull as well as what docs u need and what your rights are.
Don't let them (dealership) intimidate you!
Good luck.

And thanks again for everyone who helped with my ques
I'll keep everyone up to date.

Last edited by irishsig; 05-28-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting.... from Jan to May 08 the chart looks like it changed. If using the May 08 chart, my engine is still in the good after a touch under 1k miles. However, if using the Jan 08 chart, after just under 1k miles, I am in the No good area.

Either way, im sitting at 6.35 mm consumed and I have about 600 more miles to go to reach my 1k mark.

Interesting....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB