TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty is based on first day of service, ie, day of purchase, and milage starts with what was on the clock at purchase.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by buckwilly
247 horsepower / 236 lb/ft torque
Completed on a dyno jet. V2 Rev-up motor 2007 G35 coupe 6mt CPO vehicle.

Conditions were hot, 96 degrees, 28 percent humidity, 29.5 pressure

I was expecting 250-260 horsepower and 240-245 lb/ft of torque but I think the conditions were just too hot today because the car also had a ping around 5K and you can see the ping in the results. Let me know if anyone wants to see the printouts and I will post them up.
POST THEM!!!!!

Thanks

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I want to the other dealership yesterday, whick is only 2 hours away BTW. And right off the jump they were telling me that burning 1 Qt (16mm) was normal. Than they tried to tell that they replace the OC motors with Non Rev-Up's.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM
The engine holds 5 qts. If you drive 3750 miles between oil changes as recommended and it burns 1qt per 1k miles, then you will only have 1.25 qts left in the engine. There is nothing about this that is normal.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jairen
^one dealer told me that I wasn't eligible for the TSB cause I couldn't come up with it's COMPLETE oil change history. I bought my car used and wasn't provided it's complete service records. I hope I'm not SOL.
You should have tell him you were able to reach the previous owner and thus "found" them. The Infiniti dealer will not care as long as you furnish some type of evidence so they can cover their butts.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by citymunky
Well I want to the other dealership yesterday, whick is only 2 hours away BTW. And right off the jump they were telling me that burning 1 Qt (16mm) was normal. Than they tried to tell that they replace the OC motors with Non Rev-Up's.
They have no idea what they are talking about. If you buy a car with a rev-up motor, the TSB will replace with a rev-up motor, just a revised version. If you wanted a car with a non rev-up motor, you would have purchased one and saved some money. I would instantly have reported them to the BBB and called Infiniti corporate directly.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would instantly have reported them to the BBB and called Infiniti corporate directly.
Well I got a call from the BBB, and they told me they can't help cuz I'm over my 4 year/60K mile warretny. I running out of places for help.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmm. I just took my 05 rev up engine in. Wasted $50 on an oil change (back to dino) that took them 3 hours as I waited. On the receipt they made a comment that I have an aftermarket oil filter. Looks like they are already trying to biuld their case to reject me.

quick question for those in the know. I don't drive my care much but since I bought it used, I have done all the oil changes myself with synthetic oil. I have kept records not receipts. I have been changing my oil out at the milage interval.....not the time interval. Most of the time I go 4 to 6 months on synthetic oil before I change it. Any idea how infiniti handles that. Have I allready screwed myself if my engine is shot?

thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by captainL
hmmm. I just took my 05 rev up engine in. Wasted $50 on an oil change (back to dino) that took them 3 hours as I waited. On the receipt they made a comment that I have an aftermarket oil filter. Looks like they are already trying to biuld their case to reject me.

quick question for those in the know. I don't drive my care much but since I bought it used, I have done all the oil changes myself with synthetic oil. I have kept records not receipts. I have been changing my oil out at the milage interval.....not the time interval. Most of the time I go 4 to 6 months on synthetic oil before I change it. Any idea how infiniti handles that. Have I allready screwed myself if my engine is shot?

thanks
r u losing oil? If so how much? If its less than 1 quart and oil change then you won't be getting the motor replaced. You are supposed to change your oil at either the mileage or the date, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. So you are not changing your oil per manufacturer specifications because you are waiting 4 months minimum to change your oil. I would stick with an OEM oil filter if you are losing a lot of oil. I don't think they are building a case against you, but the oil filter size, shape, and aftermarket oil filter's filtering abilities can all have an adverse effect on the oil. If you are having oil consumption issues and are still under warranty, sticking with OEM oil filters and OEM recommended oil type is going to make your life a lot easier in dealing with a dealership about a oil consumption issue. I usually change my own oil in my personal vehicles. But when I just bought the car, I had them do the first 2 oil changes because the previous owner complained about oil consumption before I bought the car. I did not want to give the dealership any reason to deny my oil consumption claim. My dealership changes my oil for $40. And that was high mileage full synthetic at the last oil change. Maybe some dealerships need the business more than others, hence the reason my oil changes are cheaper.

Last edited by buckwilly; 06-19-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:20 AM
All,

I am looking at a used 05 sedan with the 6MT (rev-up motor). Going to have the [Nissan] dealer selling it check what's in the little owner's booklet in terms of service history. The car has 35k on the odometer.

From what I gather in the TSB, the motor can still be replaced under warranty if there's no oil change history? Seems like the process takes longer because they will monitor it, but you'd still be covered.

Right?

Last thing I want to do is buy the car, find out it drinks oil, and be stuck footing a $6000 bill for a new motor.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by TheG35Guy
All,

I am looking at a used 05 sedan with the 6MT (rev-up motor). Going to have the [Nissan] dealer selling it check what's in the little owner's booklet in terms of service history. The car has 35k on the odometer.

From what I gather in the TSB, the motor can still be replaced under warranty if there's no oil change history? Seems like the process takes longer because they will monitor it, but you'd still be covered.

Right?

Last thing I want to do is buy the car, find out it drinks oil, and be stuck footing a $6000 bill for a new motor.
Any dealership should also be able to provide ther service history report as well, so it would show any work done at any Infiniti dealership. If you're buying the car used you will most likely need to furnish evidence of all maintenance done to the car to this point to qualify for the warranty repair.

Depending on the dealership you will have either more or less difficulty getting this done on their dime. I was fortunate to find a dealer (not my local dealer, but rather one recommended by a friend) that replaced mine (which BTW was a rare non-revup oul burning motor) after I showed them a maintenance log up to 53K miles (I bought the car at 17K). The log showed all oil changes done at/around the factory recommended intervals, and all other work I'd had done (30Km 45K, 60K, etc). I made sure I had all the receipts. I was able to "find" those which I had misplaced or were missing altogether.

And regarding the $6000 that's only for the motor itself, and doesn't include any additional, supporting parts or labor. I can show you guys my invoice to see what the replacement really costs. I think it's more like 8-10K.

Good luck. Since getting my engine replaced a year ago (22K miles later), I'm only burning about 3-4 mm per 3000 miles. That's within the normal oil consumption range. It's rock solid now, and I get the oil changed with synthetic blend (per the dealer's recommendation) no more than every 3K miles, no exceptions this time! I know I'm not getting another motor and need to take very good care of this one. So far it's paid off.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:18 PM
That assumes the previous owner had the car serviced at Infiniti. I can tell you that my father only took his car to the dealership for big stuff. Oil changes & brakes...he had it done at Jiffy Lube or Midas or whatever. The car was maintained well, but the dealer has no knowledge of it...he saved his receipts though.

So a rev-up motor with no oil change history is a potential nightmare, and wouldn't be worth the risk...right? From what I gather there's no easy way to tell if the motor is burning oil just from looking. Some say that an oily tailpipe is an indicator.

Last edited by TheG35Guy; 06-21-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
r u losing oil? If so how much? If its less than 1 quart and oil change then you won't be getting the motor replaced. You are supposed to change your oil at either the mileage or the date, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. So you are not changing your oil per manufacturer specifications because you are waiting 4 months minimum to change your oil. I would stick with an OEM oil filter if you are losing a lot of oil. I don't think they are building a case against you, but the oil filter size, shape, and aftermarket oil filter's filtering abilities can all have an adverse effect on the oil. If you are having oil consumption issues and are still under warranty, sticking with OEM oil filters and OEM recommended oil type is going to make your life a lot easier in dealing with a dealership about a oil consumption issue. I usually change my own oil in my personal vehicles. But when I just bought the car, I had them do the first 2 oil changes because the previous owner complained about oil consumption before I bought the car. I did not want to give the dealership any reason to deny my oil consumption claim. My dealership changes my oil for $40. And that was high mileage full synthetic at the last oil change. Maybe some dealerships need the business more than others, hence the reason my oil changes are cheaper.

Hey bud thanks for some insight. I actually looked it up and I fall under the Schedule 2 conditions therefore requiring me to change my oil every 6 months or 7,500 miles. Hmmmm. I have been burning between 1 and 2 quarts between oil changes. I guess my next step is to try to track down the previous owner or dealership that my car was serviced at before I bought it. Is there a data base that my local dealership can look at to see if it was maintaned at another infiniti/nissan dealer? Or do I need to start calling the chicago dealers (thats where it was originally bought) and giving them my VIN # to look up. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
If it was serviced at a dealer they should be able to pull records at any other dealer.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by TheG35Guy
That assumes the previous owner had the car serviced at Infiniti. I can tell you that my father only took his car to the dealership for big stuff. Oil changes & brakes...he had it done at Jiffy Lube or Midas or whatever. The car was maintained well, but the dealer has no knowledge of it...he saved his receipts though.

So a rev-up motor with no oil change history is a potential nightmare, and wouldn't be worth the risk...right? From what I gather there's no easy way to tell if the motor is burning oil just from looking. Some say that an oily tailpipe is an indicator.
I used the dealership's service history report as a simple way to identify the gaps in oil changes (from Infiniti's perspective), and then went and "found" the receipts/logs entries in my maintenance record to complete my records. I was even fortunate enough to "find" the receipts and log entries for the 20k or so miles before I bought the car.

That's all I was really saying. We all know that many people don't get their simple, routine maintenance done at the dealerships, but getting their service history report is a good place to start since that's what Infiniti already knows about your car in their system. Thus, you'll get a baseline from which you can assemble your supplemental service history information. With that baseline, you can "figure out" how to locate what they're missing so you can fill in the gaps for them. That will get you on the road to a new engine if you need it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB