TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption dramatic during one week...

Hi... Two questions... First, I have reported before that unlike most folks I have a dipstick that is TWO QUARTS L-H... Just trust me on that... It is... A few others have reported the same though most are one quart L-H... I drive about 220 miles per week... Lately I have been checking my oil every Saturday... I do so very carefully, always after the car has sat overnight, on the level garage floor... I pull the stick, wipe it, put it back an and then walk it over to bright light and use a steel mm ruler... And I usually measure it more than once because it is danged hard to read, especially when the oil is pretty clean... OK... On a typical week my oil level goes down about .8 mm... On my dipstick (remember, 2 quarts L-H) that corresponds to about 3300 miles/quart (again, if I drive 220 miles while losing .8 mm of oil)... Also, at about .8 mm per 220 miles that would mean i would be down about 5.5 mm of oil when I get to 1500 miles after having the oil full, meaning this engine would not qualify for any engine replacement under the Infiniti Service Bulletin (8 mm at 1500 miles is Bad).

So I went week after week doing around .6 or .8 mm (with .8 being the more typical)... Then, bam, without changing my driving habits in any memorable way, I had one week where the oil level went down 2.6 mm... One week, the same 220 miles all driven the same way and wham, 2.6 mm down... Then the following week it returned to .8 again... Anyone seen an engine just dump a bunch of oil in a short time like that and then go back to being ok???? 2.6 mm is about 7 oz of oil on my dipstick... Any thoughts?? I even go to the trouble of trying to avoid using the gears to decelerate the car as I've heard that impacts oil consumption... Ideas??? thanks... bob...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Do new G37s still have oil consumption issues???

Do folks on this forum know whether the oil consumption issue was truly fixed on the newer G's??? G37s??? I have a little less than a year left on my basic warranty and close to 3 years left on the power train warranty... But I decided quite some time ago that I wasn't gonna hang on to this car beyond the warranty period if this engine appears to be marginal... And honestly, even though I really like the car, I DON'T like this oil consumption problem... I might buy a newer G but I've gotta be convinced that I can stop watching dipsticks all the time... I would, buy the way, only buy another 6MT so I guess my question should be, is there any hint of an oil consumption problem on the new G37 6MT's???

thanks... bob..

Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 AM
ooops... two questions but in two separate posts...

Sorry, I said "two questions" in my first post but then I put the two questions in two different posts... See them one after the other... Sorry for any confusion... bob...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by diitto
Hi...

So I went week after week doing around .6 or .8 mm (with .8 being the more typical)... Then, bam, without changing my driving habits in any memorable way, I had one week where the oil level went down 2.6 mm... One week, the same 220 miles all driven the same way and wham, 2.6 mm down... Then the following week it returned to .8 again... Anyone seen an engine just dump a bunch of oil in a short time like that and then go back to being ok???? 2.6 mm is about 7 oz of oil on my dipstick... Any thoughts?? I even go to the trouble of trying to avoid using the gears to decelerate the car as I've heard that impacts oil consumption... Ideas??? thanks... bob...
I'd like to know how you can measure microns on our retarded dip sticks. Oil surface tension alone will skew those precise measurements using a micrometer. IMO (and no offense) you're over analyzing your oil consumption rate. It's not that critical of science. Try every 880 or 1100 miles instead of 220.

Originally Posted by diitto
Do folks on this forum know whether the oil consumption issue was truly fixed on the newer G's??? G37s??? I have a little less than a year left on my basic warranty and close to 3 years left on the power train warranty... But I decided quite some time ago that I wasn't gonna hang on to this car beyond the warranty period if this engine appears to be marginal... And honestly, even though I really like the car, I DON'T like this oil consumption problem... I might buy a newer G but I've gotta be convinced that I can stop watching dipsticks all the time... I would, buy the way, only buy another 6MT so I guess my question should be, is there any hint of an oil consumption problem on the new G37 6MT's???

thanks... bob..
I don't troll in the VQ35HR or VQ37VHR tech sections, so can't help you there about OC. Do know from elsewhere that the VQ37VHR's have an oil temp issue if tracked and often goes into 'limp' mode to protect. Same with the 2009 370Z's.

It's about time they finally offer 6mt's on the G37 coupes. Now I may consider one of those as my next Infiniti after more research with it's VQ. Not worried about it's oil temp issue, being there's an easy aftermarket fix...

Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
I'd like to know how you can measure microns on our retarded dip sticks. Oil surface tension alone will skew those precise measurements using a micrometer. IMO (and no offense) you're over analyzing your oil consumption rate. It's not that critical of science. Try every 880 or 1100 miles instead of 220.
Hi... By "mm" I mean millimeters, not microns (um)... Yeah, I'm good at measuring but another factor of 1000 would be tough... I have a steel ruler that is marked off in whole millimeters and it's pretty easy to see when I'm say have way in between... But you are right about measuring it every week... That only started recently when my frustration grew over a modern day $35,000 car that has a BAD engine... That's my reason for considering getting rid of it... I'm tired of checking oil but I also want to know whether I need to go to Infinity to seek a replacement engine before the warranty expires... I have about 10 months left on my basic warranty and 2 years and 10 months on the powertrain warranty...

I like the car otherwise and would consider getting another one if I knew for sure they had figured out how to keep the oil in the engine rather than being lost out the tailpipes...

Though it doesn't belong here I will mention briefly that in looking at the new G37's, they have also changed the front tire size to a 225/45 (instead of 40) and very few tire manufacturers make that tire... Geesh... Tires was the ONE thing I DID research well before I bought this car and I would want to put Kumho's on it... Inexpensive but wear pretty well... And much better ride than the Bridgestones (I decided the stone in the name is because you feel like you're riding on just that, stones)... Anyway, Kumho doesn't make that size (TireRack shows only 8 tires in that size and 5 of them are BridgeSTONES) so I might be trading this puppy in for something other than another G... Too bad...

Anyway, yeah I am about to stop all this obsessing over oil consumption one way or the other... Thanks for the feedback...

bob...

Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
6MT Coupe
When I saw .6, .8 and 2.6mm that's what told me microns ( .x) = 10ths of a millimeter = microns. Just wondering.

Yes this OC issue can become obsessive. It can and will consume you. Be careful, being I'm a classic example of years ha.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Hey guys, my name is Aaron and I'm new to the site. I am in the market for getting a 2005 6MT coupe right now and this thread has scared the crap out of me so far. This might have been mentioned in one of the previous 55 pages on this thread, but does anyone know what the percentage of fail rate is overall?

BTW: I had an 05 Altima 3.5 SE automatic a couple of years ago and I remember that blowing out white smoke on hard acceleration too. I never noticed that my oil was ever low in the 20k miles I had it though.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
I bought my G about 5 months ago. Had the oil changed at Walmart. About a month later after pushing hard on a one hour trip and back the next day I noticed a rattling. About 1 week later the oil light came on. I took it to the dealer and they topped it off and had me bring it back a 1,000 miles later to check the level; sure enough I needed a new engine. So far they've agreed to replace it with no problems. So the short answer is I don't think that every oil change has to be done at the dealer - just the oil consumption test. Hope this info helps.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought it was only on the 06's but I could be wrong. Nevertheless I was told it is a rare issue by the tech however since I happen to fall in to that "rare" group I don't know if I trust that. Just make sure you got some warranty and have the car tested for the issue immediately. If no warranty try and arrange to have the test done or don't buy period - its a great car but not with a bad engine.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
I only had one 1,000 mile test done and they agreed to put in new engine.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't have a rev up, but..
i took my car in to competition infiniti of smithtown this morning, they found that it was 29mm low after they changed the oil 2457 miles ago(right before i bought it from them), so they are giving me a new engine without even doing a consumption test(i guess since they know they changed the oil and I haven't touched it)

29mm is a lot i guess considering according to the TSB the maximum acceptable amount for 2100-2500 miles is 13mm..of course the TSB doesn't apply to 2004s but its still bad...i decided to bring it in after i took a caliper and saw how short 13mm was compared to the amount of oil i lost..lol

Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
6MT Coupe
This is good to finally hear some dealers actually making this issue a relatively painless process for the owners from the past few posts.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah competition has been great to deal with so far

what im wondering is why the TSB is only for rev ups, it seems like the pre rev ups have the same issue maybe just a bit less common...maybe the fact that all rev ups are 6 speed has something to do with it, the 03-04 6 speeds are lumped in with all the autos so maybe the problem doesn't appear so bad, it could be the fact that 6 speeds let you hold the revs up when an auto would just shift

Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan. My mom called the local Infiniti dealer where they have my car. the Tech there told her that if its not an actual recall they dont have to replace my engine regardless of what they find. Dude's lucky I'm in Afghanistan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB