Ecu tuning 2002/2003 g35sedan (very technical)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
extremely pleased with the numbers considering I'm a high milage 5AT, running the stock boost pulley, and am still running cats

Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
What's the setup for ecu / harness run?

Will this be operating as a piggy back or I can eliminate the OEM ECU ?

Next and final question?

Can I see the A/C pressure? Or in other words, my aim is to be able to control the fans. Since the SPAL PWM is a hunk of junk I want to be able to setup the ECU to control a fan relay either as a PWM or an active on/off select on temp and a/c pressure.

Thanks bro

Old 10-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
the OEM ECU remains, I'm not too savvy how it all works, just glad that it does but you kind find a bunch of info on their website>>> http://www.voltagedrop.net/products/haltech

I forget how they hooked up my e-fan conversion, I think it's supposed to cut on automatically but this was done before the SC,so they never got it hot enough to kick on, so they added a manual switch, just in case.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta love VoltageDrop, great products and great guy.

Are a lot of people still tuning on piggybacks for the early gen G35s? Or has everybody sold theirs to buy an 04+ ? lol.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
what did you have to modify w/ the Vortech V3 kit?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM
What's up guys!

I'm bringing this thread back to life...

I have a 2003 G35 sedan 6MT that has a Vortech V2 S/C installed over the winter. I thought that was the difficult part...boy was I wrong. On May 6th, I hauled the car (with Vortech Kit installed) to a performance shop for a tune. Now, I am completely aware of the early 2003 G35 not being compatible with UpRev, so the plan was to use a piggyback. But the shop suggested swapping the 2003 ECU with a 2004. This was valid until he went to do the swapping and noticed it already had a 2004 ECU in there *GASP*. Not sure if the previous owner performed an ECU swap or if the manual 2003 sedans are excluded from the non-compatible ECUs.

Needless to say, the shop didn't go forward with the ECU swap. They tuned the original ECU (we'll call it ECU-A). This flashing was going well, until they went to flash it a 3rd time. The ECU then locked...no signal, no crank, no bueno. They called UpRev and shipped the "bricked" ECU to them This wasn't a concern cause the shop had the ECU they were going to use for the swap. This ECU (let's call it ECU-B) will take an infinite amount of flashes, BUT there's no throttle response! GRRRR!

They've been in constant communication with UpRev and have been going through diagnostic to find the root cause.

Do you guys have any experience with this? Or know what could be the issue? What would cause virtually 2 identical ECUs to have 2 different problems?

P.S.
I may have left some information out...so, please, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JCLA03G35
What's up guys!

I'm bringing this thread back to life...

I have a 2003 G35 sedan 6MT that has a Vortech V2 S/C installed over the winter. I thought that was the difficult part...boy was I wrong. On May 6th, I hauled the car (with Vortech Kit installed) to a performance shop for a tune. Now, I am completely aware of the early 2003 G35 not being compatible with UpRev, so the plan was to use a piggyback. But the shop suggested swapping the 2003 ECU with a 2004. This was valid until he went to do the swapping and noticed it already had a 2004 ECU in there *GASP*. Not sure if the previous owner performed an ECU swap or if the manual 2003 sedans are excluded from the non-compatible ECUs.

Needless to say, the shop didn't go forward with the ECU swap. They tuned the original ECU (we'll call it ECU-A). This flashing was going well, until they went to flash it a 3rd time. The ECU then locked...no signal, no crank, no bueno. They called UpRev and shipped the "bricked" ECU to them This wasn't a concern cause the shop had the ECU they were going to use for the swap. This ECU (let's call it ECU-B) will take an infinite amount of flashes, BUT there's no throttle response! GRRRR!

They've been in constant communication with UpRev and have been going through diagnostic to find the root cause.

Do you guys have any experience with this? Or know what could be the issue? What would cause virtually 2 identical ECUs to have 2 different problems?

P.S.
I may have left some information out...so, please, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Hey,

This thread only applies to 03 Sedan AUTOS with the gray connector ecu. You do not have this ecu, your ecu has a black connector with is uprev compatible.

Unless you 6mt swapped your car? If this is the case contact me directly Darren@NISformance.com we can now tune early style gray connector ecus!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Please note that if you are going to advertise services / solicit customers you need to be a vendor. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 PM
Early sedan ecu swap

Pulling up the old thread to see if anyone got any answers for this?!?! I read through the whole thing and it seems no one pulled the trigger on swapping the whole engine harness and ecu?!?!
Well I went ahead and stupidly did that to see if it would work.
I have swapped the engine, engine harness, ecu, and transmission from an 04 350z....
Everything seemed to hook up perfectly aside from the oil sensor and 02 which I had swapped as well but aside from that practically flawless fit. (Note trans plugs where different but I swapped the trans so it fits).
Here is the thing:
It turns over but won't start.
Looks to be the security system but when I got someone to try and program the key it wouldn't read the ecu.
One weird thing is that the radiator fans don't shut off unless I remove the battery. (Could this mean even though everything hooks up the wiring is different?)
Would I have to change the cluster?
Also if I was to succeed what features would be missing since the original ecu controls more features other than engine?

Has anyone succeeded with this and just didn't speak up?? If so any help is appreciated.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Is it not possible to use romraider
Like so

https://youtu.be/awEj4pg2TQc

and just go old school and reburn your own chips
insteqd of waiting for a direct software reflash method
blank chips are stupid cheap. And burners run around 20-45$

Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 PM
bump just because maybe someone has a solution

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wiring harness and ECU swap is the answer. Shouldn't have any problems finding a donor now that G35s are plentiful in wrecking yards. Match everything back together with NDS2 to save a trip (and cost) of having the dealership do the programming.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:57 PM
Someone else tried that and didnt work... its on this thread somewhere

Old 07-31-2018, 11:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Then they didn't do it right. Engine management isn't that hard to do honestly, it does need ALL the input parameters so you'll need complete schematics for both your chassis and the donor harness.

Better be good with a soldering iron because there's sure to be a lot of splicing due to harness differences.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Also I haven't read this thread so.maybe it's already covered but you'll probably also need a compatible IPDM, BCM, probably the AC head controller as well, electric fans to replace the mechanical ones, compatible O2 sensors.

It's best to just find a wrecked donor and do a side-by-side swap. Lots of options since DE, HR, and VHR equipped vehicles can be found at salvage auctions for a good price. Same goes with LS equipped salvage if you want to go that route but those prices tend to be pretty stable unfortunately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ecu tuning 2002/2003 g35sedan (very technical)