UTEC by Turbo XS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Vic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I get crawford headers or UTEC? they almost cost the same and I think the gain is almost comparable. What do you think guys? please correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Vic
should I get crawford headers or UTEC? they almost cost the same and I think the gain is almost comparable. What do you think guys? please correct me if i'm wrong.
Well the installation on the headers ia about $400-600 in some places for starters.Secondly,here is where the problem lies with doing headers and various breathing mods. As you open up the engines ability to flow more AIR you LEAN out the A/F mixture.I have seen some Z's go as high as 15.1 AF ratios at WOT.Not cool..You NEED a way to add more fuel which will give you a safer mixture and ultimately produce more power. The headers are cool but if you have no way to tune for them you may run really lean. The cool thing about the UTEC is is is undetectable byan OBDII scan and can be removed in 5 minutes and brought back to stock.Cant say the same for the headers if you decide to get warranty work or trade the car in. I think for the average person modding the Z the UTEC could be very powerful and unintrusive and can be changes as you add mods. IMO the UTEC would gain you the same if not more usable HP than the headers alone by complimenting your existing mods.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Well the installation on the headers ia about $400-600 in some places for starters.Secondly,here is where the problem lies with doing headers and various breathing mods. As you open up the engines ability to flow more AIR you LEAN out the A/F mixture.I have seen some Z's go as high as 15.1 AF ratios at WOT.Not cool..You NEED a way to add more fuel which will give you a safer mixture and ultimately produce more power. The headers are cool but if you have no way to tune for them you may run really lean. The cool thing about the UTEC is is is undetectable byan OBDII scan and can be removed in 5 minutes and brought back to stock.Cant say the same for the headers if you decide to get warranty work or trade the car in. I think for the average person modding the Z the UTEC could be very powerful and unintrusive and can be changes as you add mods. IMO the UTEC would gain you the same if not more usable HP than the headers alone by complimenting your existing mods.
Hope this helps.
I think I'm sold!

That being said, if you have the UTEC and decide to get rid of the car, is it still something you can remove easily (sounds like it is) and then be able to sell it used?

Old 10-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Vic
OK, i'm interested now. But I live in Boston. If I buy the UTEC from you, do you know other tuning shop that is closer to my location to tune the UTEC?

Old 10-22-2005, 07:25 PM
i thought you tune the car ur self with utec? am i wrong?? somthing like hooking up ur laptop

Old 10-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Vic
OK, i'm interested now. But I live in Boston. If I buy the UTEC from you, do you know other tuning shop that is closer to my location to tune the UTEC?
Any experienced shop can tune it, or you could tune it yourself using a lap top.. It connects via a standard COM cable and is really simple to tune.A novice could be tuning it after reading the manual and having a basic knowledge of tunning a car.Most of the time TX developes maps that are so good,no further tuning is needed..That is the GREAT thing,No cables to buy,no special software,no traveling 100's of miles to the nearest dealer.ANYONE can tune it..

Last edited by Julian; 10-22-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This unit is sounding better and better.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by andy2434
This unit is sounding better and better.
Wiat till its released.When it hit the WRX world it rapidly took over as the premier tuning unit.Go on any WRX forum, all you see is UTEC and Cobb tuner..

Old 10-22-2005, 09:45 PM
We will have a large quantity of them available when they come out,so I suggest anyone who wants one get's their preorders in first.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Can someone tell me whats different about this dyno plot?

Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Wiat till its released.When it hit the WRX world it rapidly took over as the premier tuning unit.Go on any WRX forum, all you see is UTEC and Cobb tuner..
Thats for sure. Before i bought the G i was going to buy an STi, so I researched STi mods and everyone on the subie forums were havin wet dreams about the at-the-time soon to be released UTEC. WRX owners had such a great experience with the unit that STi owners couldnt wait to get their hands on one. Like i said before, if the G app is anything like the subie app, then you guys are in for a real treat...just curious though, only 500+hp on a fully built APSTT G35? i would have imagined much higher numbers since they are nearing 500hp on a stock block. fine tuning and fuel should put u higher, no?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:44 AM
Vic

a slight increase in torque and no gain in HP?

Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 AM

Increased rev limit.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Beta99
Increased rev limit.
BINGO!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Profile4
...just curious though, only 500+hp on a fully built APSTT G35? i would have imagined much higher numbers since they are nearing 500hp on a stock block. fine tuning and fuel should put u higher, no?
Actually...Shhhhhhh,dont tell anyone, I own a 350Z Im shooting for mid
500's at the wheels. My bottom end is built,but I opted not to sleeve the block,which is why I choose to stay below 600hp to the wheels for safety and basically I cant afford to rebuild the engine again with a kid on the way
The aluminum design of the VQ motor limits you to right around 600hp at the crank on a non sleeved block.This is a safer HP level then pushing 600 hp on a non sleeved motor. Some have had great success with pushing it further, Shariff being one,and Performance motorsports in LI being another. I feel that as long as you do not detonate the motor "should" hold up for a while at these levels,however I do not wish to push the limits on "MY" motor.Well wait for someone else to do it first..lol Besides, once you surpass 450whp the car is hard to handle as it is..
Now we are working on a fully built and sleeved motor with a full valvetrain and head work, with cams that should supass the capabilities of the APS turbos AIR flow at around 650whp..Then be able to handle a shot of "special sauce"
As far as pushing the stock motors,I can not fathom how it is a good idea to run a 10.3:1 compression motor at 11psi of boost on street gas for extended periods of time.I know several people have done it and had luck with it,however I personally am a bit more conservative and realistic to my approach, and would not feel comfortable at that level on a stock motor,but thats just me..
We have done several G35's that put out about 410-430 whp and thats just fine for 99.999999% of people out there...Its that .000001% we worry about

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UTEC by Turbo XS