Navigation Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The site has been updated and they took down the note about the HDD update being available in December... it's missing... but no update available yet... So it's either delayed or about to be released.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
They told me it's delayed and to check back in a couple months.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I'm a new G35x owner. While tinkering around with the navigation, I came across the map version as being 2007-2008. Not having seen the Zenrin site before they took down the HDD reference, I'm assuming the version that I have is still the current version and not the one everyone will be updating to, yes? Does that mean when it comes out, I will have to buy it despite having just bought my car on 12/27/07?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by dc4517
Hi all, I'm a new G35x owner. While tinkering around with the navigation, I came across the map version as being 2007-2008. Not having seen the Zenrin site before they took down the HDD reference, I'm assuming the version that I have is still the current version and not the one everyone will be updating to, yes? Does that mean when it comes out, I will have to buy it despite having just bought my car on 12/27/07?
you have the most current version available. when the new one comes out, yes you will need to buy it.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I am trying to get a refund on mine from infiniti since it doesn't even have my home address in it and I have lived in my house for almost 8 years. the manufacturer said maybe it would be corrected on the next update but no guarantees, and i'd have to pay for it. I contacted infiniti that they would sell an inferior product for over $2000, when my daughter's $149 tomtom has our house in it. I told the I want my money back , but of course they won't do that. They did say I shouldn't have to pay for an update, but I'll be;ieve that when I see it. I'll never buy one again from Infiniti.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I spoke with my local Infiniti dealership about my NAV last week and how my $200 Nuvi outperformed my built-in NAV. One of the customer service guys came from the back and told me I probably needed the new map updates but they do not stock or sell the NAV updates as they do not get any discount on them from Zenrin. So all I needed to do was go to Zenrin.com and find my vehicle (2007 G35 Sport Sedan) and "buy the correct DVD for my NAV system". DO WHAT????

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by G35_fiend
I spoke with my local Infiniti dealership about my NAV last week and how my $200 Nuvi outperformed my built-in NAV. One of the customer service guys came from the back and told me I probably needed the new map updates but they do not stock or sell the NAV updates as they do not get any discount on them from Zenrin. So all I needed to do was go to Zenrin.com and find my vehicle (2007 G35 Sport Sedan) and "buy the correct DVD for my NAV system". DO WHAT????
Obviously your customer service guy is an idiot.

I too have a Nuvi, so I'm a little disappointed in the factory Nav. I just don't understand why car manufacturers, and even most aftermarket audio manufacturers (Alpine, Kenwood, etc) try to use inferior maps. I'm sure it's a "lowest bidder" situation, but one day they will realize that most people would rather pay a little extra if it means using an industry standard like Navteq maps.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
The website for the Navigation company sucks. If you try searching for anything it doesn't work. There's no mention of the HDD Navigation anywhere. I don't get it.

I hope that maybe Infiniti is using a different company for the Navigation on 2007+ models?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
There have been a lot of threads on this... Here's one that's got relatively recent information on the subject -> https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/201904-official-response-zenrin.html

Right now my understanding is that the target release date is August 2008.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by blackc2004
The website for the Navigation company sucks. If you try searching for anything it doesn't work. There's no mention of the HDD Navigation anywhere. I don't get it.

I hope that maybe Infiniti is using a different company for the Navigation on 2007+ models?
No Zenrin is still the nav system in the 07/08s. As you'll learn if you read the linked thread above though Zenrin isn't the holdup. Nissan North America is.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by bfranks
Obviously your customer service guy is an idiot.

I too have a Nuvi, so I'm a little disappointed in the factory Nav. I just don't understand why car manufacturers, and even most aftermarket audio manufacturers (Alpine, Kenwood, etc) try to use inferior maps. I'm sure it's a "lowest bidder" situation, but one day they will realize that most people would rather pay a little extra if it means using an industry standard like Navteq maps.
I'm pretty sure that Zenrin does, in fact, use Navteq maps. (At least they used to be an investor in Navteq and had a close working relationship in the US automobile navigation market.)

Old 03-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by jburlowski
I'm pretty sure that Zenrin does, in fact, use Navteq maps. (At least they used to be an investor in Navteq and had a close working relationship in the US automobile navigation market.)

Zenrin is no longer listed as one of Navteq's customers, and I no longer see them listed as a major stockholder. You are correct, Zenrin owned a controlling share of Navteq starting in the mid / late 90's, so not sure when they parted ways.

All I know is that Zenrin needs to do a better job. I live in a major metropolitan area (Houston) and the number if missing and inaccurate roads is astonishing. New construction is one thing.....not having roads and entire neighborhoods that have been there for 5-10 years is inexcusable.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by bfranks
All I know is that Zenrin needs to do a better job. I live in a major metropolitan area (Houston) and the number if missing and inaccurate roads is astonishing. New construction is one thing.....not having roads and entire neighborhoods that have been there for 5-10 years is inexcusable.
Sounds like your experience in Houston is the same as mine. LOL. I visit H-town a few times a year and I was sadly disappointed in the maps. Same for Dallas by the way. It tried to send me down a dirt path, it wasn't even a road. Crazy.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by adamr001
Sounds like your experience in Houston is the same as mine. LOL. I visit H-town a few times a year and I was sadly disappointed in the maps. Same for Dallas by the way. It tried to send me down a dirt path, it wasn't even a road. Crazy.
Yeah....mine tried to send me across the baseball field of a local high school. Maybe we need to take it off "shortest route" setting

Old 03-31-2008, 01:08 AM
You know what I can't understand is how cities in California that have more than 70,000 people can have "incomplete street data".

Plus, I believe this really means that there is no voice street names (since I can see the streets on the map on my Nav screen.) But even my Garmin from 4 years ago can handle "Turn right in 500 feet". I can't understand why if the street names aren't available, why the Navigation system can't revert to simply using feet and "turn left", "turn right" and "make a U turn".

These all are available in my wife's $230 Mio GPS device (as well as it having all of the streets BY NAME in the 70,000 people city!)

Ugh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Updates