Navigation Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet.....glad they included the 08 models.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
Zenrin website updated:

http://www.zenrin.com/infiniti/HDD8/
========================
Infiniti Navigation HDD (Hard Disc Drive)

Map update will be available in May, 2008. Please visit this site again.
Thank you for your patience!

Applicable models for the HDD version:
- 2007-2008 G35 Sedan
- 2008 G37
- 2008 M35
- 2008 M45
- 2008 QX56
- 2008 EX35
Holy ****.

They're going to be early compared to what they told me a few months ago (which was August 08). I choose to remain skeptical though until I see their site change. Then it's off to the dealer since the sales droid promised the first update to me for free.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM
anyone know how much the upgrade will cost?

Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I hope that my first is free since I just bot mine 2 weeks ago.
This may be a different thread, but...Are they planning on doing anything about the limited functions of the Nav (Phone also) during driving? The fact that you cant put in an address while driving is assenine!!

Why can't Nissan of America have each owner log on to a webpage 1-time, where they have the owner indemnify Nissan from all liability of operating the goodies (Nav, phone, stereo, etc...) while driving. Their lawyers would essentially win out against any lawsuit you or I brought about.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by dbwilson727
Yeah, I hope that my first is free since I just bot mine 2 weeks ago.
This may be a different thread, but...Are they planning on doing anything about the limited functions of the Nav (Phone also) during driving? The fact that you cant put in an address while driving is assenine!!

Why can't Nissan of America have each owner log on to a webpage 1-time, where they have the owner indemnify Nissan from all liability of operating the goodies (Nav, phone, stereo, etc...) while driving. Their lawyers would essentially win out against any lawsuit you or I brought about.

safety feature that is in all nav units. one of the reasons i've been partial to portable ones besides beign able to take it with you when you travel to different cities.

that said, you can easily bypass that. they don't allow that information in this forum, but you can readily find out how.

google is your friend...

Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The information is available, I have the module bypass and i works great, see this thread in the tech section.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-audio-video-electronics/193408-automatically-process-navi-ok-screen.html

Originally Posted by kcrues
safety feature that is in all nav units. one of the reasons i've been partial to portable ones besides beign able to take it with you when you travel to different cities.

that said, you can easily bypass that. they don't allow that information in this forum, but you can readily find out how.

google is your friend...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
What happens when the car is sold and the new, subsequent owner, who has no such agreement with Nissan, gets in an accident while playing with the Nav or Phone functions?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
That's a good point. I guess it could become a good legal discussion to see how far down the line a corporation is liable for the possible misuse of it's product. Look at Anheiser Busch. We don't have to sign any waiver to drink a lot of beer and then go wreck into a bus full of schoolchildren. Would AB be liable for that? Doubt it.

Nissan's legal team would surely be off the hook in all circumstances down the road. This is just a bunch of hyper-sensitive attorneys taking CYA to the Nth degree.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
^ Agreed. Nissan could probably just copy what the portable GPS manufacturers do and have a safe-mode. If you choose to deactivate safe-mode you must first agree to the disclaimer that pops up on screen. The unfortunate thing is that although Nissan, and others, can probably get away with this simple solution to their own liabilities the fact still remains that a driver fiddling around with electronics while driving may smash into our loved ones. Maybe Nissan is showing they care about 'the other guy" on the road who is watching where he is going but still gets creamed by the one not paying attention to the road because he is doing something he shouldn't. It's far from a perfect world where there is a solution for everything. Take away our right to use the Nav while driving but put in vanity mirrors. Everyday, on my way to work, I catch a woman putting on makeup or doing her hair while she is driving. There are to many ways for a driver to be distracted. What are you gonna do???

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 04-15-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
What happens when the car is sold and the new, subsequent owner, who has no such agreement with Nissan, gets in an accident while playing with the Nav or Phone functions?
I like the way Garmin does it. You get a "warning" screen each time you turn the unit on. You then press "okay" to continue. When we turn on our Infiniti cars, text appears on the Nav screen and we have to press OK to continue. Whey couldn't they just have a second screen come up with a warning of what could happen if you use the Nav system and a button for "Full Access" and one for "Safe Mode". If the users selects "Full Access" they would be acknowledging the "risk" and assuming full responsibility. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about subsequent owners (you would accept responsibility each time you start your car or you would get limited access.)

Old 04-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I like it, sign me up!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by garyjay
I like the way Garmin does it. You get a "warning" screen each time you turn the unit on. You then press "okay" to continue. When we turn on our Infiniti cars, text appears on the Nav screen and we have to press OK to continue. Whey couldn't they just have a second screen come up with a warning of what could happen if you use the Nav system and a button for "Full Access" and one for "Safe Mode". If the users selects "Full Access" they would be acknowledging the "risk" and assuming full responsibility. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about subsequent owners (you would accept responsibility each time you start your car or you would get limited access.)
This is what I said on the first line.^^^
and my comment of
is now out of context without showing the question I responed to by dbwilson727
Quote:

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 04-16-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
So the update is only $190 though (excluding the service fee)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Hahahaha, I called my service rep. They've not been aprised of any method to perform the update yet. He's trying to find out now and how much it's going to cost.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
HAHA.

I just called my service guy too. He said they haven't heard anything regarding navigation updates at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Updates