Navigation Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the update doesnt look worth it for people with Version 8

Old 05-04-2008, 09:19 PM
What's the latest word on the voice commands for the '07 guys? We should be ok but I just want to make sure.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Treacherous. So the Updated is CF card based and it looks like they somehow can send data through the CF slot onto the hard drive inside the car... I've never heard of such thing being possible unless the hard drive polls the CF slot for a certain batch file ever few seconds... then it would just execute that file if found. Which means if we have a CF card with the right files it should do it without the Consult-III system.

It looks like it also updates the CDDB as well according to one of the steps toward then end of the TSB.

I'm still curious what the process is if your hard drive were to crash... what version is shipping in replacement parts and if the coupon code can be used more then once.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I think I found the CF adapter they use to connect to the system. It's intended use is for PDA's with CF slots to have a USB port.

http://twin-paradox.com/SEPDA.html

So basically this tool is just giving the Car a "USB" port through the CF slot. Then when it connects through the USB cable into the Consult-III system I'm guessing the Car just sees it as an external hard drive.

But I'm still unsure how having a USB port can force something into the hard drive, I still think the hard drive needs to poll for a particular file..

Basically the system has a HDD writing utility installed on the C-III system, and the Maps are loaded on the C-III system as well. The DVD's they supply with the kit do nothing more then the one-time setup of the C-III system.

Last edited by kring; 05-05-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Got the information

I just received my call back from Infiniti and they indicated that the voice commands are installed at a hardware level and will have nothing to do with the install of a map software update. It is indeed just a coincidence that early build 08s have the more robust voice commands and 8.0 map software and the newer build 08s have the lesser voice commands and 8.1 map software. It seems that the time it took to re-tool the voice command hardware coincided with the map update.

So 07s and early 08s with the full voice commands should feel confident upgrading their map to 8.1

Well..except for th 190 price tag plus dealer determined 'service fee'

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by mthowell
Well..except for th 190 price tag plus dealer determined 'service fee'
Well after getting ICA and my local service shop on the line I now understand why there's a "service fee". Basically, the update process is done through the diagnostic system the dealership has for *all* infiniti vehicles, the "Consult III" system. This means that system is unvailable for standard repair or diagnostic work and therefore you're charged the shop rate for the time the machine is tied up, just like you would on any other "diagnostic" work.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So could you use this "adapter"...

to plug a USB drive into the car to play music as opposed to memory cards? would you still have the 500+ song limit?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 AM

to plug a USB drive into the car to play music as opposed to memory cards? would you still have the 500+ song limit?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by adamr001
Well after getting ICA and my local service shop on the line I now understand why there's a "service fee". Basically, the update process is done through the diagnostic system the dealership has for *all* infiniti vehicles, the "Consult III" system. This means that system is unvailable for standard repair or diagnostic work and therefore you're charged the shop rate for the time the machine is tied up, just like you would on any other "diagnostic" work.
Scheduled my appointment this morning for the update and the stealership did not have verification on how much the fee would be. I guess we will just have to wait and see on the 26th.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by stanfna

wtf!! $90 for a stupid adapter?? i might as well buy a bunch of CF cards

Old 05-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Did any dealerships tell you first update is free? My dealership told me that.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 AM
Wow.... first update free? That would be VERY nice. Or course I'm not sure all of our dealers will tell us that. We'll have to find the "nice" dealers and all descend on them for the "free" update :-)

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Ok..here's my experience..

My dealership is incompetent! I bought my code from Zenrin..$190..gave the coupon code to the dealership. Apparently, they have 'no idea' how to update the HDD nav units. They called their 'rep' and they have to buy a kit to upgrade their system first..I asked them this when I brought it in thanks to the TSB posted here. They told me they spent an hour trying to upgrade my nav to something that 'wouldn't take'. It frightens me what they tried.

After they called their rep, they decided that 'at this time, they weren't going to invest in a kit that costs over $300'.

So I guess I have to wait until a lot of people here in the Lou want thier nav upgraded and then maybe they will buy the kit and upgrade my nav system.

Grrr...

Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
mthowell... you can just wait until the dealer gets it's kit in the next couple days/weeks. Every dealer is getting a kit in May automatically and they dealer is being charged for the kit. they have no say in getting the kit or not. it's part of their regular tools update program... so check back in a week or two.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Mthowell, I would find another dealership that can do the upgrade quickly since the key is only good for 3 days. You may be able to get another key from Zenrin after that but it may take alot of fighting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation Updates