Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stanfna
do they use the same harness? so i could just unplug the prototype and plug in the production version?
Yes, they are the same harness and everything. The only difference is some very minor firmware tweaks and the circuit board itself (prototype board vs production board).

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin,

In your installation guide on your forums at kptechnologies.com, you mention "Purple - Reverse input (Only needed if OEM back up camera is present, not sure of color at this time)".

I have the backup camera on my '07 G35. Do you now know what color the reverse input is?

OR TO OTHERS MONITORING THIS FORUM

Does anyone who is looking at this forum and has installed the module know what color in their wiring harness they tied into for the reverse input?

Thanks! Gary

Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Kevin,

I just received my '07 and up Navi Bypass module and relay and am looking through the installation instructions to become familiar with it prior to installing in my car. I have noticed something very strange. My relay seems to not have the right wire configuration. Looking down on the wires coming from the relay, there is one wire at the top (green), and then in a line, left to right, Red-Blue-White. So then pull the plug off to see what pins the wires go to. The Green wire socket slides onto the top pin number 87. The Red slides onto pin 86, Blue onto pin 87a and the White onto pin 85. NOTHING connects to pin 30.

..................__ <--- Green - 87
Red-86 --> | __ | <--White - 85
...................^------Blue - 87a
...................|<-no connection - 30

Anyway, this does not tie out to the diagram in the instructions. The instructions indicate that "One Side of VSS" goes to pin 30. But as you can see, I have no wire coming out of the plug to connect to the vss.

Might you shed some light on this? Am I misreading something? I'm happy to send you a jpeg picture so you can see what I'm talking about if this isn't clear.

Thanks! Gary

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned
It sounds like your harness is missing a wire. I can send you a replacement harness, or you can simply move the wire from pin 87 to pin 30. The wires have a release on the top side of the harness that you can push in with a small flat head screwdriver.

The reverse wire should be "Orange" at pin 37 of the same harness that all the other wires are in.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KPierson
The reverse wire should be "Orange" at pin 37 of the same harness that all the other wires are in.
Confirmed as correct. This is the wire I used, and the reverse functionality works perfectly! It's really quite clever!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned
Just a reminder, since we are getting a lot of emails about this.

This module will NOT allow you to watch videos while moving. Please don't Email us and ask us how to acomplish this, as we won't tell you. There is simply too much liability for us to provide this information.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
It sounds like your harness is missing a wire. I can send you a replacement harness, or you can simply move the wire from pin 87 to pin 30. The wires have a release on the top side of the harness that you can push in with a small flat head screwdriver.

Kevin,

I'll try to move it. I just wanted to verify the instructions were correct and that my harness was wrong. If it doesn't work for some reason, I'll have you send me another (but it should.)

And thank you VERY MUCH about the reverse wire color. I can't wait to get this puppy installed. I'm on vacation week after next and will do it then. Of course if I could do what *I* wanted to do on Father's Day, I'd be installing the bypass. My kids have other ideas for me to have "fun".

Gary

Old 06-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Kevin,

I installed the module and relay. Everything came up okay with a couple of issues...

1) The automatic "ok" doesn't seem to be working. I'll double check my solder job on the twisted red/black to see if that is the issue. But since pushing the Enter button toggles and relay (I can hear the click) and will enable me to use the nav while moving, doesn't that mean that the red/black are soldered and working? If so, I'm not sure why the warning screen with the okay button doesn't disappear? Does it take some time to do so?

2) I'm very confused about exactly what the purpose is of the **** I can turn on the module. I understand it changes some timing setting... but might you explain to me in a little more detail (and lay terms) what it controls. I know I can turn it to decrease or increase some delay... but what does it delay?

3) I am even more confused about the 3 programming modes and what they are for. I read about on/off mode, memory on/off and vdc bypass. But why would you use each?

4) Is just a quick press of the Enter button all that is needed to activate the relay and bypass VSS signal OR must you hold it for a certain amount of time.

5) Once activated, must you wait 20 seconds for the Nav system to start again or can it be turned back on another way?

6) One thing I think I have noticed is that once I put everything back together and started driving, even after 1-2 minutes, the GPS seemed to be just a little off (I pass a street and as I pass it, the car triangle on the display shows me arriving at the intersection. Not sure if this is a result of the disconnect/install/reconnect or if it just needs time to resync. We'll see.

Thanks for any info. you can provide as it will help me and I'm sure others.

Gary

Old 06-21-2008, 03:34 AM
sorry for asking

Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by garyjay
1) The automatic "ok" doesn't seem to be working. I'll double check my solder job on the twisted red/black to see if that is the issue. But since pushing the Enter button toggles and relay (I can hear the click) and will enable me to use the nav while moving, doesn't that mean that the red/black are soldered and working? If so, I'm not sure why the warning screen with the okay button doesn't disappear? Does it take some time to do so?

2) I'm very confused about exactly what the purpose is of the **** I can turn on the module. I understand it changes some timing setting... but might you explain to me in a little more detail (and lay terms) what it controls. I know I can turn it to decrease or increase some delay... but what does it delay?
The module outputs a signal X amount of seconds after the car is started to process the "OK" screen. X is adjustable from 1-30 seconds via the ****. If you didn't adjust the **** properly then the "OK" bypass won't work. We used to hard code the delay in to the module, but every different car, and every different year needed a different value. The **** was introduced so that we could make one software program compatible with all the different vehicles. Also, cars with bluetooth phones programmed to the navi system need a bit longer to start up.

3) I am even more confused about the 3 programming modes and what they are for. I read about on/off mode, memory on/off and vdc bypass. But why would you use each?

5) Once activated, must you wait 20 seconds for the Nav system to start again or can it be turned back on another way?
The three programming modes allow for flexability in the module. Some people like the "smart VSS bypass" that automatically reconnects the VSS signal after 30 seconds of not pushing the "OK" button. Some people like the VSS bypass to stay bypassed until they turn it off. In reality, 2007-up owners will probably only use 2 of the 3 modes - the on/off mode or the VDC bypass mode. There really isn't a need in this module for the memory on/off mode. To sum it up - in the VSS bypass mode if you activate the bypass it will stay bypass until 30 seconds go by in which the "OK" button isn't programmed. If you primarily use the touch screen for programming this most likely won't work for you. In the on/off mode the bypass will stay enabled until you shut it back off (the same way you turn it on).

4) Is just a quick press of the Enter button all that is needed to activate the relay and bypass VSS signal OR must you hold it for a certain amount of time.
To trigger the bypass you need to hold the "OK" button down for >1 second then let it go. This is to prevent accidentally activating the bypass.

6) One thing I think I have noticed is that once I put everything back together and started driving, even after 1-2 minutes, the GPS seemed to be just a little off (I pass a street and as I pass it, the car triangle on the display shows me arriving at the intersection. Not sure if this is a result of the disconnect/install/reconnect or if it just needs time to resync. We'll see.
When the bypass isn't enabled it should have no effect on the GPS. When the bypass is enabled the GPS will not update its position (because it thinks the car is standing still).

You may want to take a minute to reread the installation instructions as most of this information is in there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Wonderful customer service Kevin. The installation went great with your instructions and pictures. Thank you for a wonderful product.

Gary

Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Okay, I'm feeling dumb on this whole 3-mode thing...

I haven't installed my module yet but I was getting ready to do so...

What exactly does "Triggering the AUX output" mean in the programming section?

On/Off (Mode 1) – Every time the AUX output is triggered the output will
alternate states. When the car is first started this output will always be off.
Memory On/Off (Mode 2) – Every time the AUX output is triggered the output
will alternate states. When the car is first started the output will revert to the state
it was in when the ignition was last shut off.
VDC Bypass (Mode 3) – Triggering the AUX output will cause the output to turn
on for 20 seconds. However, while the output is on each time the “OK” button is
pushed the 20 second countdown timer will be reset back to 20 seconds. This
allows the VSS signal to be bypassed as long as information is being programmed
in to the navigation unit. Once data entry ceases the AUX output will
automatically shut off as soon as the timer expires.
Maybe what would clear it up is a description of how the various modes are supposed to work (practially) vs. how they work technically.

Based on the name of Mode 3 (VDC Bypass Mode) I'd assume it has something to do with me pressing the VDC button on the car? True? Not? Etc.

Mainly here, and what I thought I'd ordered was something that pressed OK for me when I started the car, gave me access to the extended menus when I interacted with the touch screen / nav console, but didn't effect the map / gps when I wasn't interacting with the system... If that's possible, which mode is it?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by KPtechnologies
4. GREEN (OPTIONAL) – SPEED SENSOR INTERRUPT
a. This 200mA output is triggered by pressing and holding the “OK” button for more then 1 second. This output can function in one of three programmable ways. Please see the PROGRAMMING section of this manual for more information.
Basically, each time you hold the "OK" button down for > 1 second and then release the button the output is triggered.

The only way to program these navigation units is to make them think the car is not moving. This is done by cutting the VSS signal from the navigation unit. With no VSS signal the navigation system "thinks" it is standing still.

In the VSS bypass mode (NOT VDC mode, thank you for pointing out the type) the output is on a timer that is restarts every time you press the "OK" button. Once the timer times out from not pushing the "OK" button for 30 seconds the output will turn off, and you will no longer be able to program while moving. The theory behind this mode is that every time you enter a piece of information (by pressing the "OK" button) the 30 second timer starts over. Once you haven't put any info in for 30 seconds the unit automatically switches back to the normal mode and the navigation system will see that you are moving again. This mode is great for people who like to use the "OK" button for programming.

The On/Off mode latches on until you turn it back off, and can stay on permanently, if you want it to. However, while the bypass is on the navigation system will "think" that it is standing still so it won't update your position. The theory behind this mode is that you will trigger it, program your data, and then trigger it a 2nd time when you are done. The 2nd trigger will turn the bypass off and return everything to its normal setting. In this mode, if you enable the bypass then turn the car off, when you restart the car the bypass will always default to the "off" setting.

The memory setting will allow the unit to stay triggered even if you turn the car off - I honestly can't think of any reason you would use this on this car, but someone might have an AUX need for it, so we left it in. On the pre '07s there was a reason for it!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Okay, I think I understand what's what... part of what had me confused was the whole "Pressing the OK button" ... I was thinking to myself, but we pressed that automatically when the car was started didn't we? Now I realize you mean the OK / enter button on the steering wheel / console on the various nav screen entries.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamr001
Okay, I think I understand what's what... part of what had me confused was the whole "Pressing the OK button" ... I was thinking to myself, but we pressed that automatically when the car was started didn't we? Now I realize you mean the OK / enter button on the steering wheel / console on the various nav screen entries.

Thanks!
Actually no, you're not using the steering wheel SELECT button. You're using the ENTER button on the circular dais in the stack.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatically process the Navi OK screen