Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
finagle is correct, I am refering to the "ENTER" button in the center of the circular thingy.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamr001
Okay, I think I understand what's what... part of what had me confused was the whole "Pressing the OK button" ... I was thinking to myself, but we pressed that automatically when the car was started didn't we? Now I realize you mean the OK / enter button on the steering wheel / console on the various nav screen entries.

Thanks!
Hi Adamr001,

Not sure if this will help or not, but since I've installed mine and had some of the same questions, I thought I'd try.

1. When you turn your car on, you get a disclaimer screen displayed that requires to you press OK/Enter to acknowledge. The module you purchased will send a signal to the OK button to simulate a press so you don't have to press OK. The module has a little **** that when you install it you can turn to change the length of the time delay prior to the OK being simulated so you can ensure that the display is displaying the disclaimer screen before the module "presses" OK for you. This is one of the reasons you solder two wires to the OK button, it can both sense when you have pressed it (more on that later) and it can send a signal to make the car think you pressed OK. We are talking about the OK button on the dial right under the display screen. Although it dismisses the disclaimer screen so you don't have to, that part really has nothing to do with the ability to use options that are grayed out while driving. That's the next feature of the same module.

2. In addition to the module (brain), you must install the relay that comes with the kit. The relay's purpose in life is simply to break the connection to the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire so the car "thinks" it isn't moving (without the need for a manual toggle switch.) As you know, the minute you start driving, MANY features become unavailable and are grayed out (in the navigation area, the music area and the phone area.) By interrupting the VSS signal, the car "thinks" it isn't moving so you can use any of the features that are typically grayed out when moving. It's as if you are still standing still.

So when you press the OK button in the round control thing under the display screen for 1 second or more, you hear the relay click and it stops the VSS signal. On your Nav screen, your little car symbol stops moving (although it will turn in a circle where it is stopped as your turn the car in different directions.) While the signal is interrupted, you can find the closest bathroom, closest McDonald's, scroll through more than one page of choices, etc. Once you are done making your selections, you press the OK button again for 1 second or more, and the VSS signal wire is reconnected via the relay and your car icon starts moving on the screen again (but in the wrong place.) Within about 1 minute, the GPS system figures out where it really is and places the icon of your car in the correct location.

If you don't want to have to press the OK button for 1 second (which causes the VSS wire to be reconnected and a signal sent) when you are done making choices and using the display screen, you can program the module you purchased to automatically return to normal mode after 30 seconds of not pressing the OK button on the dial under the display screen.

Don't know if all of this information helps, but I thought I'd post in case it helps you or anyone else.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned
Great information garyjay. From the feedback I've got and the limited exposure I've had to the newer cars I've noticed that the GPS usually corrects itself within ~10 seconds of the VSS signal being reconnected.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^I can confirm this. i have been using this mod for a while now (original tester) and i have never had any issues with how long it takes the GPS to get back on track. Normally it is very quick...under 15 seconds. the longest it has ever taken was still under a minute...and that only happens 1-5% of the time.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
^^^I can confirm this. i have been using this mod for a while now (original tester) and i have never had any issues with how long it takes the GPS to get back on track. Normally it is very quick...under 15 seconds. the longest it has ever taken was still under a minute...and that only happens 1-5% of the time.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by stanfna
I can also confirm this. Usually, the GPS takes longer to get back on track when i'm on a straight section of road/highway. If i'm in town making turns, it'll usually re-sync within 5 seconds. I guess this has to do with how the unit polls the satelites...

Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be doing my install this weekend.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Lovin' mine so far as well!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I have a question that I think I know the answer to but if the NAV screen is not on the display when you start the car (e.g. the Music Box screen is up) will the "OK" button be hit in timed manner? Or if you turn the car on and slam it into reverse and then have some slow old lady walking behind you and you're in reverse for 1.8 minutes, waiting for her and her walker to move, does the "Press OK" feature activate during that time effectively not doing anything?

I bought it...just haven't installed (out of town and not wanting to tear apart my new car after a long day of work) and I was curious.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by StoutAg35
I have a question that I think I know the answer to but if the NAV screen is not on the display when you start the car (e.g. the Music Box screen is up) will the "OK" button be hit in timed manner? Or if you turn the car on and slam it into reverse and then have some slow old lady walking behind you and you're in reverse for 1.8 minutes, waiting for her and her walker to move, does the "Press OK" feature activate during that time effectively not doing anything?

I bought it...just haven't installed (out of town and not wanting to tear apart my new car after a long day of work) and I was curious.

Thanks!
As long as you hook the reverse input wire up correctly you can keep the car in reverse for 60 minutes and it will still process the "OK" screen IF the "OK" screen loads.

If the navi system starts up on another screen the module will NOT process the "OK" button correctly. The module has no way to know what screen the unit starts up on. If your system loads up on another screen you will have to process the "OK" screen manually when you are ready to use the Navi system.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned
Is there enough interest in these to offer a group buy? We would be looking for 20+ buyers and offering a discount of around $20.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any installers in the SW Florida area?
Fort Myers?
Naples?
Sarasota?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
Is there enough interest in these to offer a group buy? We would be looking for 20+ buyers and offering a discount of around $20.
Is this the same module which allows you to operate the Nav's features while vehicle is moving?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by EZDozzit
Is this the same module which allows you to operate the Nav's features while vehicle is moving?
Yes.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok I'm in. I'm a regular on MyG37 but subscribed to this thread a while back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatically process the Navi OK screen