G35 Sport - Be Wary When Installing Tires!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool G35 Sport - Be Wary When Installing Tires!

To All,

I finally got my OEM Bridgestone's replaced yesterday. I opted for the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires in the original stock (staggered) sizes. Overall, the tires are great, but my experience with the local tire installer was frustrating to say the least.

You would think that occasionally, these guys would encounter other vehicles with staggered tires, and be able to deal with the non-routine installation without any incidents. But in my case (maybe this is a rarity?) that was not the case.

I have been dealing with the same Big 'O Tire outlet in my town for several years now. I always deal with the same technician and overall I have been provided very good service. In this case, I clearly explained that the 225/50-18's go in the front while the 245/45-18's go in the rear. Additionally, I also explained that the wheels must be replaced in the same positions on the car as when they were removed. This shouldn't be too complicated - or is it?

Initially, it seemed to me that the installers understood the task at hand. When removing each wheel/tire from the car, they marked 'LF', 'RF', 'LR', "RR" on each tire with chalk. So far so good. Now they proceed to remove the old tire from the 'LR' wheel. Then I notice that the installer starts to put a new tire on the wheel - one which was not even the tires I ordered! My Goodyear's were stacked about 10 feet to my right while this guy is starting to install someone else’s tire on my wheel.

After I got that corrected (they had to check with the manager to verify that the Goodyear Eagles were the correct tires) it was all downhill from there. In every case they would proceed putting the wrong size tire on the wrong wheel. And in each case I had to intervene and actually tell them which tire to install on each wheel. In the end, all was OK, but I went home with a headache. I told the technician (the guy I have dealt with for several years), and all I got was " I will have a talk with them!".

Bottom line - when you have your new tires installed, make sure you watch what they do very carefully. I am not sure why this should be so complicated, but apparently whenever they have to deviate from a routine procedure, they seem to have difficulty. I agonized over this possibly happening for several days before having my tires installed, but I never thought it would actually become reality. I was sure (shame on me) that these guys would know exactly what they needed to do in this case.

Just thought I would share my experience with everyone.

Regards,

Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Ouch... thanks for sharing your experience.

How do the new tires compare to the Bridgestones. I am a big Potenza fan, but I understand the Goodyears are pretty good... do they ride quieter?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Damn shame you had to stay on top of someone you were paying to do the work. At least you caught them before they screwed something up!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
umm. its 225/45/18 front and 245/45/18 rear.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
You handled it all wrong. Next time, stand back and watch all the mistakes. And then, right when they are finished and ready to drop your car back down from the rack, walk up and show them that it's all wrong.

That way, you don't have a headache and the manager REALLY will "have a talk with them" because now the tech is wasting HIS time doing it over from the start. And the tech will now pay better attention next time as there is nothing they hate more than to have to do something twice.

There has to be some pain inflicted to wake them from their routine stupor.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
sounds like you need to find a new tire place. Any tire monkey with a brain could figure that one out, especially one that's been working at the same place for several years.
-GP-

Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by 04G35NYC
umm. its 225/45/18 front and 245/45/18 rear.
No, the fronts are 225/50-18.

Here is the link Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Select...=Sport+Package

Regards,

Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by ballisticus
You handled it all wrong. Next time, stand back and watch all the mistakes. And then, right when they are finished and ready to drop your car back down from the rack, walk up and show them that it's all wrong.

That way, you don't have a headache and the manager REALLY will "have a talk with them" because now the tech is wasting HIS time doing it over from the start. And the tech will now pay better attention next time as there is nothing they hate more than to have to do something twice.

There has to be some pain inflicted to wake them from their routine stupor.

ballisticus,

That's all well and good, but my time is valuable, and is better served by not having to wait for them to do the job over correctly. Not to mention, the more times these morons take the tires on and off, the greater likelihood that something else will go wrong or they break something.

I have already spoken to the store manager, and he was pretty upset. I am really **** about stuff like this, and I was not going to stand there and watch them screw up my tire install.

I think I handled it just fine.

Regards,

Old 01-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Nomad1600
Ouch... thanks for sharing your experience.

How do the new tires compare to the Bridgestones. I am a big Potenza fan, but I understand the Goodyears are pretty good... do they ride quieter?
Nomad,

So far, the Goodyear's are pretty quiet. I can't detect any difference in the noise level over the Bridgestones. Also, I take a winding, narrow country road on my way to work, so this morning I got a chance to see how they handle. I must say I was really impressed - they stick to the road very well. Overall I am pleased. However, only time will tell. I will give you guys an update after I have put a few thousand miles on them.

Regards,

Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
i have checked on discounttiredirect.com the tire size i listed are right i don't know who got the right info tho.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM
i have checked on discounttiredirect.com the tire size i listed are right i don't know who got the right info tho.
Not for the 07+ sedans with Sport package. There is 225/50-18 for the front and 245/45-18 on the rear.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 g35 sedan sport stock tires are as the original poster mentioned. You may be looking at a different year / model.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
225/50-18 (Front)
245/45-18 (Rear)

That's from discounttiredirect.com so I think 04G35NYC looked up the wrong year or model.

gstais: where'd you go to get your tires put on? I've never had that kind of experience before. Never seen someone
a) put on the wrong tire
b) screw up staggered fit tires.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I always watch these clowns very closely.
Most don't even know what torque wrench is.
They just zap the lug nuts on with an impact gun... no torque sticks or nothin'!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by dopey
225/50-18 (Front)
245/45-18 (Rear)

That's from discounttiredirect.com so I think 04G35NYC looked up the wrong year or model.

gstais: where'd you go to get your tires put on? I've never had that kind of experience before. Never seen someone
a) put on the wrong tire
b) screw up staggered fit tires.
Big 'O Tire in Brentwood, CA (near San Francisco - not OJ's Brentwood!).

As I said in my original post, I have been going there for years. This is the first time I have ever experienced anything like this with this store.

I have had one worse experience, though. This was at a Firestone Store in Connecticut (I am originally from there) where I went for an oil change and a simple tire rotation. This was years ago, but the moron literally snapped 4 out of 5 studs on my wife's car (on one wheel) while torqueing the lug nuts. You would have thought he would have stopped after the first one - but no he went for broke!

This was a Saturday, and my car was stuck in their garage until the following Monday morning when I had it towed to the dealer. They paid for everything including the tow and the repair bill from my dealer. Then, the manager had the audacity to ask me if I would come back in the future. He said he did not want to lose my business. I essentially told him "where to go" and never went back.

Come to think of it, if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all!!

Regards,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sport - Be Wary When Installing Tires!