370Z springs experiment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes_888
Noted. But yes... I wonder how the rears on the X's are.. and how much we can chop off from the rear rubber mounts.

This may not be an alternative for us X boys till we look into it further.

Are we back to Tanabe's and Impuls again?

I wonder if anyone has looked into G37 coupe springs.
Yes.
No love there.

Chances are still pretty good for the rears.
The X numbers I saw were very close to my sport rear #.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Wes, the X numbers Ian saw was from my measurements last week.
You would not want to drop just the front and leave the rear, it would have too much rake.

Here are my measurements along with Ians original measuremeents, then his dropped measurements, taken from the center of the wheel hub to the top of the wheel arch.

My 2007 G35X with a full tankon stock springs(Note the car is one year older than Ians, so they might have settled a bit more.)
RF ~ 15-5/8"
LF ~ 15-1/2"
RR ~ 14-7/8"
LR ~ 15"

Ian's 2008 G35 Sport before the drop with 7/8 tank of gas.
RF ~ 15-3/8"
LF ~ 15-3/16"
RR ~ 15"
LR ~ 15-1/16"

Ian's 2008 G35 Sport after 370Z Front coils, OEM rear with 3/8" shaved from upper mount.
RF ~ 14-1/2" (drop=.875)
LF ~ 14-5/8" (drop=.8125)
RR ~ 14-5/8"
LR ~ 14-11/16"

Last edited by GEE35FX; 04-14-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm not doing Tanabe's until someone gets the bouncy ride stigma out of my head.

I'm still stuck on the Impuls. I'm not real happy about cutting the rubber mounts in order to make this drop work.
I thought the S springs were a bit shorter than the X. I was personally hoping to secure some 370Z fronts and some G35S rears, but now I just don't know anymore. How bout 370Z fronts and fill the trunk with cement?

Maybe I should just invest some time into finding some morbidly obese friends to drive around with.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Wes, check this car out and then remind me why we're not going with the Eibachs again...
https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...ts-o-pics.html

Sure, I have a steep driveway that will be a little painful getting into and out of, but coming at an angle should resolve that.
My only real concern is winter... but what the hell, you only live once and I see others in my area driving on Eibachs year round, so just how bad can it be???

(trying to talk myself into the Eibachs again)

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Front spring comparison:
(these are not actual rates, they are a calculation for comparison only)

G35 spring rate = 550lbs
370Z spring rate = 608 lbs

Rear spring comparison:
(these are not actual rates, they are a calculation for comparison only)

G35 spring rate = 567lbs
370Z spring rate = 635 lbs

So the 370z springs are about 10% stiffer than the G35, both front and rear. So if you replace just the fronts, car will be front-heavy with weak rear springs, which means it'll nose dive during braking, and understeer during cornering. InTgr8r, do you feel that this is true?

By the way, Impul's website says the actual rates for the normal springs are 7.2/7.0 kg/mm (F/R), or 402/394 lbs/in. And for comparison, the Impul spring rates are 8.7/8.5 kg/mm (F/R), or 485/474 lbs/in. This is an increase of 20% in stiffness. Since these are progressive springs, I'm not sure we can compare the stiffness directly with linear springs, but my friend in Japan tells me the Impuls are very comfortable. Apparently, they eliminate the bouncy feel over expansion joints, and are very stable at high speeds.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by cocomurata
So the 370z springs are about 10% stiffer than the G35, both front and rear. So if you replace just the fronts, car will be front-heavy with weak rear springs, which means it'll nose dive during braking, and understeer during cornering. InTgr8r, do you feel that this is true?

By the way, Impul's website says the actual rates for the normal springs are 7.2/7.0 kg/mm (F/R), or 402/394 lbs/in. And for comparison, the Impul spring rates are 8.7/8.5 kg/mm (F/R), or 485/474 lbs/in. This is an increase of 20% in stiffness. Since these are progressive springs, I'm not sure we can compare the stiffness directly with linear springs, but my friend in Japan tells me the Impuls are very comfortable. Apparently, they eliminate the bouncy feel over expansion joints, and are very stable at high speeds.
Those numbers are just ballpark calculation & judging by feel on the street 10% is high.
They feel very close to OE.

Curious, if you are a little stiffer up front, how will that give you more dive.
In my books that = less dive.
It's important to minimize front preload by modding the rear perch to bring it down as well.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wayne - thanks for the the measurements! Very helpful.

Scott - Same. I dont want to cut into my rubber mounts. Then securing another set of rear springs (whatever that may be) seems like its a lot of work.

Yes, MishMosh's car is sick!! So nice. Funny you mention Eibachs, cuz I thought about it as well. lol

G35XQX1 swears by the Eibachs. He says he has no problem whatsoever clearing the snow and stuff. Although, he has damaged his front chin spoiler and his undercarriage, if I recall correct, cuz he couldnt avoid a huge ice block on the road. lol

And that does sometime happen, you cant avoid something on the road unless you crash into the other cars. There will always be potholes, some bigger than others, and ya... :S

I guess... your basically taking the good with the bad and hope that you fair out okay at the end of the day.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
The other consideration is the install, if you guys are not DIYers .
A shop will not likely want to play around with the install the way I did.

For me, if there was a mild drop set of aftermarket that were NOT progressive,
I would definitely have gone that route.
(assuming they weren't rape & pillage pricing like the Impul)

Old 04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Noted. But yes... I wonder how the rears on the X's are.. and how much we can chop off from the rear rubber mounts.
BTW, the upper mounts are < $25 US
if ever you need new ones after cutting them.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
BTW, the upper mounts are < $25 US
if ever you need new ones after cutting them.
Hmmmmm... interesting... if its that cheap... perhaps...

One could purchase these and have them cut well before the installation and keep the ones off the car as a spare...hmmmm...

It feels less intrusive when your cutting up a spare rubber mount rather than the one on your car. I know its essentially doing the same thing but mentally, I would feel better about it.

Last edited by Wes_888; 04-14-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
I'll have to agree with your friend. Mine are very comfortable, not bouncy, and I've had them up to 90 and they're very stable.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hmmmmm... interesting... if its that cheap... perhaps...

One could purchase these and have them cut well before the installation and keep the ones off the car as a spare...hmmmm...

It feels less intrusive when your cutting up a spare rubber mount rather than the one on your car. I know its essentially doing the same thing but mentally, I would feel better about it.
Wes, as far as I'm concerned there are two routes to go for a minimal drop for the G35X

The measurements below are for a RWD sedan

1/ Do Ian's Mod-Use the front 370Z Coils and cut the rear upper mounts (this cutting would be very simple to do) This gives a 3/4" to 7/8" drop. The price is right.

2/Use Impul Springs-these will drop a G35Sedan Sport ~ 3/4" front and ~ 1/4" rear. The downside is they are expensive.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Your probably right Wayne. These are the only options we have it would seem.

If I manage to acquire some springs, I'll go and buy extra rubber mounts and have it cut with proper cutting equipment.

Impuls... sigh.... so expensive. I priced it again on japanparts.com, It came to 692 CAD with shipping. But im thinking duty will be another 150 at least... then installation cost.. then alignment... UGGH....

Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
The other consideration is the install, if you guys are not DIYers .
A shop will not likely want to play around with the install the way I did.
I've done everything to my car myself and have yet to need the help of others, but this spring thing has me a little hesitant.
I have never done them before and I've also heard that the fronts on the X model are tricky. If you drop the arms too low, the front shafts come out and are a b!tch to get back in. With my small garage, limited tools and even more limited experience with suspension, I'd need to be working on this with someone like you to help.
I was thinking of buying springs and just having them installed at a local reputable shop. Once we get into the customized seats and stuff, I start looking for other options again.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a local meet on the 25th. One of the guys has an 07 G35X sitting on Eibachs.
He's from CT and if he's getting around okay, why can't I?

I'm gonna have a long talk with him, get his input and take a very long hard look at his car.
I'll make a final decision after that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 370Z springs experiment