370Z springs experiment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Just for the record, I am now loving my Tanabe springs... dropped the car about .90" on all four corners, so the drop is moderate, but not extreme. That said, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Eibach's... I originally thought I didn't want to drop my car that much, but now every time I see a car on Eibach's, I look over at my car and think it's too high. LOL... Guess I'll just have to wait for the TEIN coil-overs to come out to lower the car some more.

Incidentally, I've heard that if you use the G37 Coupe Eibach springs on the V36 sedan, then you will get slightly less of a drop than with the sedan fitment Eibachs... I met a guy that did this and he estimated the drop at around 1.2" up front and 1" in the rear. Whether this is fact or fiction, that I cannot confirm, but I can tell you that the guy I talked to at Eibach did say that the coupe springs would work on the sedan, and the only difference between the two fitments is that the coupe spring rates were slightly higher than the sedan's and the coupe springs were also slighly shorter... I was going to try this myself, but have decided to stick with the Tanabe's until I end up going with some coil-overs.

Like someone else mentioned, you could always use the Eibach sedan springs and get some thicker spring isolators from Energy Suspension... They make the proper diameters for both front and rear fitments and offer several different thicknesses from 1/4" thick to 5/8" thick. Just another option to think about.
sell me your nf210's and get the eibachs!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks for the nice words...

Yeah, I don't know why the drop seems to vary so much from car to car. When I called Tanabe and asked them, they said that the other guys were most likely using either the DF210 model springs, which will drop the car more, or they were using the NF210 springs for the 1G sedan fitment, since the NF210's for the V36 sedans weren't available until November or December '08. I was told that many places were actually selling the Tanabe springs for the 1G sedans for use on the 2G sedans (just like H&R does) until they actually came out with 2G specific fitments. Either way, I'm happy with how the drop turned out on my car... just wish is was maybe .1 - .2" lower. LOL.. maybe I'll have to try cutting down the factory front and rear sping isolators slightly like you did.

ahhhh, that makes more sense now, thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by JP1080INC
lol... I though wifee pulled the plug on your springs

Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering accidentally ordering them.... Do I dare?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
hmmmmm... maybe
I wouldn't use a coil booster though.

On the front strut, there is an upper rubber mount, then the top plate.
It may be possible to put a donut in between.
I think I have the names mixed up. Is a coil booster the same as a coil spring isolator? and which is the donut?

2Gornot2G indicated you can put coil spring isolators on all 4 springs. If this is the case, then maybe this route with the Eibach springs can be another good option for guys out there.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Just for the record, I am now loving my Tanabe springs... dropped the car about .90" on all four corners, so the drop is moderate, but not extreme. That said, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Eibach's... I originally thought I didn't want to drop my car that much, but now every time I see a car on Eibach's, I look over at my car and think it's too high. LOL... Guess I'll just have to wait for the TEIN coil-overs to come out to lower the car some more.

Incidentally, I've heard that if you use the G37 Coupe Eibach springs on the V36 sedan, then you will get slightly less of a drop than with the sedan fitment Eibachs... I met a guy that did this and he estimated the drop at around 1.2" up front and 1" in the rear. Whether this is fact or fiction, that I cannot confirm, but I can tell you that the guy I talked to at Eibach did say that the coupe springs would work on the sedan, and the only difference between the two fitments is that the coupe spring rates were slightly higher than the sedan's and the coupe springs were also slighly shorter... I was going to try this myself, but have decided to stick with the Tanabe's until I end up going with some coil-overs.

Like someone else mentioned, you could always use the Eibach sedan springs and get some thicker spring isolators from Energy Suspension... They make the proper diameters for both front and rear fitments and offer several different thicknesses from 1/4" thick to 5/8" thick. Just another option to think about.
Glad to hear your loving your Tanabe's =) I guess its not so bouncy anymore? Or you've grown accustomed to the ride and like it the way it is now?

Interesting... using coupe eibachs... who would have known that would result in a more moderate drop. If only we can get a hold of this guy you spoke too... so we can get more information.

Im liking the idea of using spring isolators with the eibachs.. I should look into it further.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Coil isolator jambs between coils to minimize them compressing.
The flat 'donut style isolator mounts above the spring upper mount & does not change the spring characteristics.
It just gives a little added lift.

Something like these.... (there are many others)

Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
considering accidentally ordering them.... Do I dare?
Ooops.... But honey I was checking prices & accidentally clicked the wrong button.

If your's is anything like mine, IDTS.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
ahhhh, that makes more sense now, thanks
No problem... It'd be nice if someone else would step up to the plate and get the NF210's too, so we can compare the results.

Hehe... If / when I sell my NF210's it will be to buy a set of coil-overs, but I'll definitely let you know when I end up going that route. In the mean time, if you want to pick up a set of the Tanabe's, Rick at Riverside will give you a great deal on them.

Originally Posted by Wes_888
I think I have the names mixed up. Is a coil booster the same as a coil spring isolator? and which is the donut?

2Gornot2G indicated you can put coil spring isolators on all 4 springs. If this is the case, then maybe this route with the Eibach springs can be another good option for guys out there.
Spring isolators are the rubber or polyurethane bushings that sit either on top or below the springs to help reduce body shock and vibrations caused by the car hitting hard bumps and impacts. Spring boosters are typically installed between the coils to help reduce the sag created by old or heavily fatigued spings.

I see no problems in using spring isolators, as the factory already uses them both front and rear. You can either use an additional isolator to raise the car slightly, which is most likely what you would have to use in the rear, or you could use a slightly thicker isolator to raise the car slightly.

I wouldn't suggest using spring boosters, as they can effectively reduce the amount a spring can compress due to them holding two coils apart, which could effect your ride quality and handling.

Glad to hear your loving your Tanabe's =) I guess its not so bouncy anymore? Or you've grown accustomed to the ride and like it the way it is now?

Interesting... using coupe eibachs... who would have known that would result in a more moderate drop. If only we can get a hold of this guy you spoke too... so we can get more information.

Im liking the idea of using spring isolators with the eibachs.. I should look into it further.
Yeah, as it turned out, most of the poor ride quality was because of the alignment being off. I originally got the car aligned about a week after installing the springs, but the car settled more after that and I had to go back to have it realigned... so, having the springs fully settled in and the car properly aligned, now it rides very close to stock. I'm, actually very happy with the ride now and the handling is definitely improved, as well. My wife also like the ride and handling with the Tanabe's, and that is the ultimate test!

I met the guy who's running the Eibach's for a G37 coupe on his sedan at a local meet months ago, and I'm not sure of his name.... but, there's another meet coming up on the 25th of this month, so I'll see if he is there.

I actually have access to a used (read: cheap) set of Eibach springs for the G37 coupe, so I'm still debating on whether or not to try them on my car... If I do, then I will definitely post my results.

Coil isolator jambs between coils to minimize them compressing.
The flat 'donut style isolator mounts above the spring upper mount & does not change the spring characteristics.
It just gives a little added lift.

Something like these.... (there are many others)
Here's my understanding... Spring isolators are the donut style bushings that sit either on top or below the springs, and spring boosters are typically installed between the coils. I think a lot of places use these terms interchangeably, but what's important is to use the type that install on top or bottom of the spring and not the type that goes between the coils.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
K thanks for making it clear to me guys. Much appreciated.

I guess what I really meant was spring isolators.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
No problem, Wes... The guy I talked to at Eibach is the one that actually recommended the Energy Suspensions spring isolators to me. He said that they have use these before on customer's cars when the cars sit lower than the customer wants. He said he would definitely go this route over using spring boosters to raise the vehicle.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)

Here's my understanding... Spring isolators are the donut style bushings that sit either on top or below the springs, and spring boosters are typically installed between the coils. I think a lot of places use these terms interchangeably, but what's important is to use the type that install on top or bottom of the spring and not the type that goes between the coils.
Thanks, that's what I meant, but
those descriptions make more sense.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
I added one more pic in post 49 with the final rear drop of 5/8"

Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey that looks great Ian =)

VERY even drop all around. Great job.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Hey that looks great Ian =)

VERY even drop all around. Great job.
Thanks Wes.
It's a very conservative drop, but at least it doesn't look like a SUV anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 370Z springs experiment