DIY: Installing Sport paddles

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
To properly disconnect a battery, you really only need to worry about the Red '+' terminal.
The '-' is just a ground.

My paddles haven't shipped yet.
I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning.
I feel ya on the Christmas thing.... I ordered mine before christmas thinking it'll be in on time for Xmas, but it went on back order. But when it came in a day early from the scheduled delivery date, i was really surprised, and literally went straight to my garage to put it in.

The write up is really good, you shouldn't have a problem, but you might want to take the screw out of the trim panel when you take off the wheel, and go to a hardware store to find one just like it to use on the bottom trim panel.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
To properly disconnect a battery, you really only need to worry about the Red '+' terminal.
The '-' is just a ground.

My paddles haven't shipped yet.
I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning.
Thanks AesonVirus. That helped

I got my paddles today from Jason (thanks again, Jason) and followed Lemodular's awesome tutorial and install was a breeze. I went slow to make sure I was doing everything correctly so the install took me a little over an hour (some of the time was spent looking for the right tools in my garage). Anyway, took it for a drive after I was done and they work perfectly. I'm quite happy with the install. I wanted the paddle shifters but didn't want the Sports package so this gives me exactly what I was missing.

For the trim screws, I just re-used the original ones - even for the bottom trim. Kit came with 4 screws/washers and 2 nuts. 2 Nuts and 2 screws were used to secure the paddles so I had two extra screws/washers from the kit once I was done. Not sure what these should have been used for. Did I miss something?

Last edited by gymcshoe; 01-10-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gymcshoe

For the trim screws, I just re-used the original ones - even for the bottom trim. Kit came with 4 screws/washers and 2 nuts. 2 Nuts and 2 screws were used to secure the paddles so I had two extra screws/washers from the kit once I was done. Not sure what these should have been used for. Did I miss something?
I think Jason included extra bolts/nuts just in case. They only place those things fit is to attach the paddle shifters to the steering column.

My kit didn't include any extra screws for the trim panel pieces and I did the same as you, ie. used the original trim panel screws. I'm a bit confused as to why people need to buy extra screws as it seems like the original trim panel screws fit the new trim cover as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I think Jason included extra bolts/nuts just in case. They only place those things fit is to attach the paddle shifters to the steering column.

My kit didn't include any extra screws for the trim panel pieces and I did the same as you, ie. used the original trim panel screws. I'm a bit confused as to why people need to buy extra screws as it seems like the original trim panel screws fit the new trim cover as well.
The new trim panels is supposed to have two screws at the bottom..... It's 3 screws for the bottom trim panel, one at the very bottom slightly right of center, two at the lower portion of the trim panel facing you, you then place the side pieces in, and then there's two screws for the top panel/side pieces.... I think you just left those two bottom screws out

Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
The new trim panels is supposed to have two screws at the bottom..... It's 3 screws for the bottom trim panel, one at the very bottom slightly right of center, two at the lower portion of the trim panel facing you, you then place the side pieces in, and then there's two screws for the top panel/side pieces.... I think you just left those two bottom screws out
oic.. thanks.. it seems to be holding up fine without the other two screws.. maybe when i have time I'll go back and put these in.

I did encounter an issue though: . After I was done and reconnected the battery, everything appeared to be fine. But this morning I noticed the "Check Engine Soon" light come on and remain on through my entire commute. Has anyone else encountered this issue? How do I fix this? Thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
Got it. I now recall seeing these 2 thin plastic tabs w/ holes in them. I didn't bother to bolt them down to anything. Thanks for the clarification. Since nothings rattling and all trim pieces seem to fit snugly, I don't think I'm going to bother w/ those screw holes.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by gymcshoe
oic.. thanks.. it seems to be holding up fine without the other two screws.. maybe when i have time I'll go back and put these in.

I did encounter an issue though: . After I was done and reconnected the battery, everything appeared to be fine. But this morning I noticed the "Check Engine Soon" light come on and remain on through my entire commute. Has anyone else encountered this issue? How do I fix this? Thanks
How many miles do you have on your car? You can set your car to alert you at the various service intervals. Could it just be a coincidence that you hit 3750 or 7500 miles right after you installed your paddle shifters?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Although it should be obvious, I updated one of the picture to show where the new screws should be located.

gymcshoe; I don't see why doing this mod would affect the CEL but it could be as simple as your gas cap not on tightly, or like AlterZgo says, an oil change is due. If you can not get it resolve soon, definately go get a scan. Maybe you trashed the engine on the test drive with the new paddles

Old 01-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great write up!

I include 4 of the bolts since that is what the parts system called for... I can remove them from the kits I put together, but it is not a significant price difference.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lemodular
gymcshoe; I don't see why doing this mod would affect the CEL but it could be as simple as your gas cap not on tightly, or like AlterZgo says, an oil change is due. If you can not get it resolve soon, definately go get a scan. Maybe you trashed the engine on the test drive with the new paddles

Thanks for the advice. I checked the gas cap, filled it up and made sure the gas cap was tight. After several trips, the light turned off. Just like the manual had originally said. Loving the paddles still. thanks again for a great tutorial Lemodular.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
WOW! nice write up

Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
folks...

For my next kits that are shipping out, I am only shipping 2 nuts and 2 bolts for the paddles...

I figured re-using the screws for the finisher pieces would be done...

(in my parts system, it said 4 bolts were required for the paddles... oh well...)

Last edited by Jason@Riverside; 01-21-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
So... is it safe to assume all furture orders will be $0.13 cheaper?

Thanks for what you do Jason!
I'm looking forward to receiving mine soon.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Shipping out 4 kits today...

might be yours !

Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Wicked Pissa!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing Sport paddles