DIY: Installing Sport paddles

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Nik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed mine last weekend. Thanks Jason. I run into a small problem. One of the airbag screws was not T-30. It was a larger screw, more like a key asymetric star pattern. I couldn't find anything for it at Depot. I end up removing plastic trim with out removing a wheel. It was a hustle, but it came out. Just heads up, check both sides of the airbag before doing the install.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Nik, when is your G's birthday?
I'm curious why yours would be different.

Got my tracking # this afternoon, so I'll be doing mine soon.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 01-21-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Nik
mine is early 2007. Maybe because I live in a high crime city of Chicago, dealer ordered extra protection. who know...

Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Nik
I installed mine last weekend. Thanks Jason. I run into a small problem. One of the airbag screws was not T-30. It was a larger screw, more like a key asymetric star pattern. I couldn't find anything for it at Depot. I end up removing plastic trim with out removing a wheel. It was a hustle, but it came out. Just heads up, check both sides of the airbag before doing the install.
Could it be an anti-theft bolt for the air bag?

I've never seen one in person, but just based on the description it sounds like the security device Infiniti sells as an accessory to the G35 sedan. If it is the anti-theft bolt, the installer probably left the key in the car somewhere....

Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Everyone:

Has anyone had this mod done by the dealer? Will they be willing to do this mod? I'm not overly opposed to doing this myself, but I'm a little nervous about it because I'm not the most handy person when it comes to this type of thing.

Thanks a lot
Tamir

Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by t1328
Hi Everyone:

Has anyone had this mod done by the dealer? Will they be willing to do this mod? I'm not overly opposed to doing this myself, but I'm a little nervous about it because I'm not the most handy person when it comes to this type of thing.

Thanks a lot
Tamir

If you can turn a wrench you can do this. There're only three things you have to take off. The whole job takes only about 1/2 hour.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok, I just bough mine from Jason. I should get it end of next week. I'm really psyched about having this installed. I've wanted these paddle shifters since I got the car - needed the X for DC weather. LeModular - Thanks a lot for your detailed writeup with pics. I'll install it once it arrives.

Cheers
Tamir

Old 01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD NEWS for those with MANUAL steering wheels!

I JUST got the correct console finisher pieces for the MANUAL steering wheels W/ PADDLE SHIFTER OPTION!

So there will be no need to cut the new console or get a dummy switch!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, I installed the girls this morning.
It went fairly easily. The garage was like 40 degress and I was taking my time, so being a little chilly was the worst of it.
The hardest part is when it's time to put the airbag bolts back in, being sure not to drop them down into the steering wheel trim, causing you to take everything apart just to fish them out... which I did. lol

The old bottom trim piece has 3 screws.
One in the bottom right, and one on each side. The new trim comes in pieces. Sides and bottom. I used one screw for each side and one for the bottom screw hole of the new bottom trim piece. I left the top piece in place and never needed to replace it.
This new bottom trim piece also has a cople of screw holes in the front of it. I think this is where people have been asking about screws and extra hardware. After playing around with several variations of where to put the screws, I found that leaving these new screw holes empty and using the bottom screw hole left everything tight and secure. You'd never know a few screws were missing (insert joke here)

Test drive went well (in the snow) and everything looks and works great.
Thanks again to Lemodular for the write-up and to Jason for making this so easily available.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 01-27-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jason, please check you pm

Old 02-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Thumbs up

I managed to install the paddles myself. The most challenging part of it was finding a T-30 tamper resistant torx wrench or bit. I ended up not finding it at local hardware stores, and borrowed one from a neighbor who had one.

The torx screws are very tight and require a lot of turning before they come off - seems to start off easy, then get tighter, and then easier again.

Other than that, the most important thing is to make sure that the steering wheel is exactly straight - 3 and 9 when you take it off, and when you put it back on (yes, I had to redo it because it ended up slightly off center.... - I'm definitely not the most handy person).

Still, in the end, the paddle shifters are installed, and work like a charm. I am enjoying my car so much more with these in place. Thank you so much Lemodular for your help and for taking the time to put together this very detailed and excellent posting.

Cheers
Tamir

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by t1328
I managed to install the paddles myself. The most challenging part of it was finding a T-30 tamper resistant torx wrench or bit. I ended up not finding it at local hardware stores, and borrowed one from a neighbor who had one.
I found a set of 1/4 drive bits for $30- at Sears.

The torx screws are very tight and require a lot of turning before they come off - seems to start off easy, then get tighter, and then easier again.
LocTite... not a bad idea to hit the bolts with a drop when putting them back in as well.

Other than that, the most important thing is to make sure that the steering wheel is exactly straight - 3 and 9 when you take it off, and when you put it back on (yes, I had to redo it because it ended up slightly off center.... - I'm definitely not the most handy person).
The threaded stud and the wheel both have a notch in them so you know how they line up. It's a good idea to start with the wheel perfectly straight, but if you forgot and you're already elbow deep, look for the notches.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Premier Member

Cool Jason Please PM Me

-------- Got To Have Them! --------
Questions:
Are willow and wheat the same color? I have wheat interior.
Do you have the kits in stock now? <--- Say YES .. lol
I will pay you buy card, Just call you during the day?
Send UPS Today.... Will install this weekend. (X Fingers)
Thanks - Paul

Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Jason doesn't work for riverside anymore...

Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 AM
I would still call Riverside because the guy I spoke to there after Jason sent me the wrong part seemed to be willing to sort things out, and he may be willing to give you the same pricing on the package. I will tell you that one part of the trim in wheat color is currently on back order, and I was told today by the dealer that it should be arriving around the 28th of Feb.

Regards,
Tamir

PS. Good feedback/suggestions regarding searcs, the loctite, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Installing Sport paddles