DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
if you are talking about the downshift rev-matching then thats normal and in fact a cool feature to make your car feel more sporty, responsive and helps elongate the trannies life.
I am not sure but it only does it when the car is just about to come to a stop. Not sure if the car is even down shifting but that's what it feels like.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The tranny does not rev match on its own during downshifting unless you are in the DS mode. I don't think it rev matches when it's downshifting in the M mode either, it simply goes back to 1st as you slow to a stop. Although I've had it remain in 2nd on its own as I slowed down while in M and got going again since I never came to a complete stop. No rev matching there either unless you use the shifter or a paddle to shift it down.
Generally speaking, it seems downshifting when coming to a stop is rather evident in a lot of new vehicles.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had it downshift and rev match 3 times while in regular D mode and not DS... kinda freaked me out but according to everyone it'd normal... even though I thought it only did it in DS mode. Once I had to floor the brakes and come to a sudden stop while in D mode and the car downshifted to help me slow down... weird

Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Hmmm, maybe I better get out there and try some "spirited" driving tonight to see if the tranny would act any different when slowing down faster than ususal. Now all I need is an excuse to leave the house.... got it, running low on coffee!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by eddystone
So my idle is at 800 now but it does a harsh down shift when coming to a stop because the RPM would shoot up alittle. What problem is this?
My car started doing this after I cleaned my TB as well. It's annoying as hell. The car will "jump" while I'm braking. It's definitely unnerving and can't be good on the transmission...

Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by WxAxGxS
My car started doing this after I cleaned my TB as well. It's annoying as hell. The car will "jump" while I'm braking. It's definitely unnerving and can't be good on the transmission...
Is it still doing it? or is it fixed and how?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Is it still doing it? or is it fixed and how?
I cleaned it about a month ago. It still does it. I've done the relearn procedure at least 6-8 times and it always does it to varying degrees... I'm poor, though, so I've yet to take it to the dealer.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
I cleaned it about a month ago. It still does it. I've done the relearn procedure at least 6-8 times and it always does it to varying degrees... I'm poor, though, so I've yet to take it to the dealer.
Do you want to take it to the dealership to do the throttle relearn by computer? or to diagnose the problem by other methods?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Do you want to take it to the dealership to do the throttle relearn by computer? or to diagnose the problem by other methods?
Computer TB relearn. The TBs are working fine, the computer just freaks out. I'll probably put it off until I head back home where I can have a relative do it for me fo' free.... But that's at least a couple months away.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My throttle body needs to ne cleaned badly, but I think ill hit up the dealer cause this stuff I am hearing is scaring me...

Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Computer TB relearn. The TBs are working fine, the computer just freaks out. I'll probably put it off until I head back home where I can have a relative do it for me fo' free.... But that's at least a couple months away.
You might want to call some local shops if they have the infiniti computer because I was able to find one in my area who can do it for $30.

Originally Posted by RedBaronK
My throttle body needs to ne cleaned badly, but I think ill hit up the dealer cause this stuff I am hearing is scaring me...
You should, lately everybody that is doing this DIY is getting the high idle problems.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Guys, forgive me for not re-reading this long thread again (I did a a while back but can't recall), but I just wanted to ask if there is any pattern to which folks have success vs. those that don't? Has it been confirmed that people who pull their battery cable AND pump the brakes (to discharge any latent capacitance charge in the electrical system) AND then don't disconnect the MAF plug are still having issues afterward? I just don't see how the ECU would have a clue that anything ever happened under those circumstances.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure disconnecting the MAF has much to do with it. What's happening is that the electronic throttle body plates are being moved from their memorized positions. You obviously have to open the plates to clean the throttle body. The relearn procedure simply synchs the sensor with the plate so the ecu knows where closed throttle is and where wot is etc.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by G3Sx
I'm not sure disconnecting the MAF has much to do with it. What's happening is that the electronic throttle body plates are being moved from their memorized positions. You obviously have to open the plates to clean the throttle body. The relearn procedure simply synchs the sensor with the plate so the ecu knows where closed throttle is and where wot is etc.
But isn't the only observer of that movement "asleep" ?

...and if all is returned to where it was before the ecu wakes up, then how would it know or care? We don't have to do a TPS and idle re-learn every time we disconnect the battery, so how does it know??? I guess I just don't get it.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i had 0 rpm problems post-cleaning, i did NOT disconnect battery, TB harness at any time and the car was in OFF position during whole cleaning process. I moved the butterfly valve with my fingers while cleaning as well, not ecu reset afterwards with battery disconnect either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies