DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 10-23-2011 | 10:40 PM
I think I remember mine idling at about 800 for a few days and then coming down to where the abouve picture shows. The main difference that I noticed is the car would nosedive and somewhat engine brake (as it should) when you release the throttle in manual mode after everything was back to normal. When the idle was high before I finally fixed it, it felt like I wasn't off the gas all the way and the car would continue to coast as if I was feathering the throttle. From a stop, not even touching the gas, the car would slowly accelerate to 20+ mph. Definitely not normal.

Old 11-09-2011 | 04:55 PM
Just did this last night. What a difference!

my idle was so rough, at stop lights, my entire car would vibrate, at first I though my cats were loose, but after a nice cleaning yesterday, my idle is back at normal, feels so smooth.
I actually didn't take off the screws. Just added some TB cleaner to a microfiber and opened the butterfly and put my hand in there lol.best ten minutes I've spent in this car

Old 11-12-2011 | 12:18 AM
Thanks for the write up. Finally got around to doing this. Idle was getting rough. Fixed that and tip in throttle response seems a bit crisper now Thanks!!

Old 11-18-2011 | 05:39 PM
Having a problem with my throttle body now. Seems to be sticking at times and the car is throwing 2 throttle postion codes. So hopefully a cleaning might fix it. Anyone else experience this?

Old 11-18-2011 | 05:43 PM
if it's sticking then you need to clean it

Old 11-21-2011 | 07:51 PM
I did this following this guide to a tee being extremely careful with the buttefly valves cause I know thay have a delicate motor and now my idle SURGES out of control between 1500 and 2500 rpm every second. It's throwing engine codes and none of the reset procedures work.

Had to take it to the dealership and they flashed the ECU and still could'nt get it to reset idle position now they're saying I need new throttle bodies which they want $2500 for just in parts.

Took it to nissan specialty shop - same problem, ECU won't reset the idle. Car is barely drivable and is burning the hell out of the clutch with the reving and running lean.

So now I'm off to scour junkyards for used throttle bodies unless someone else has any other ideas? PLEASE don't say "try the reset procedure with the gas pedal".

Thanks

Old 11-21-2011 | 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Yanns
I did this following this guide to a tee being extremely careful with the buttefly valves cause I know thay have a delicate motor and now my idle SURGES out of control between 1500 and 2500 rpm every second. It's throwing engine codes and none of the reset procedures work.

Had to take it to the dealership and they flashed the ECU and still could'nt get it to reset idle position now they're saying I need new throttle bodies which they want $2500 for just in parts.

Took it to nissan specialty shop - same problem, ECU won't reset the idle. Car is barely drivable and is burning the hell out of the clutch with the reving and running lean.

So now I'm off to scour junkyards for used throttle bodies unless someone else has any other ideas? PLEASE don't say "try the reset procedure with the gas pedal".

Thanks
Wait, so you're saying that you need two new throttle bodies? They BOTH failed as a result of the cleaning . . . THAT is very strange indeed. Many folks have successfully performed this procedure without any damage to a single throttle body as far as I can ever recall seeing, so for you to lose even one would have been very unusual; let alone TWO in your case. IDK, something just doesn't seem to be adding up here.

Old 11-21-2011 | 08:07 PM
^did you try the gas pedal reset procedure?

Old 11-21-2011 | 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Wait, so you're saying that you need two new throttle bodies? They BOTH failed as a result of the cleaning . . . THAT is very strange indeed. Many folks have successfully performed this procedure without any damage to a single throttle body as far as I can ever recall seeing, so for you to lose even one would have been very unusual; let alone TWO in your case. IDK, something just doesn't seem to be adding up here.
Well I'm just not sure how I can determine which one it is and the left and right are different so I guess I could get one and try it but just like you said, I've never heard of people damaging them and I was very careful moving the valve

Old 11-27-2011 | 03:44 PM
My idle went crazy after throttle body cleaning and the ECU won't reset with a computer nevermind the pedal reset procedures. So after posting around with no solutions I decided to take them apart since everyone said I must just need new ones even tho I know they arent broken. Heres some pics if anyone was curious, it's just too bad there's so much damn electronics controlling it all cause they're fine. The motor and gears are very strong to handle cranking the valves open so fast when you floor it so there's no way someone could damage them moving the valve for cleaning.

Still, interesting stuff. Not even sure what the next step to take is for my poor G

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Clean your throttle bodies-tb3.jpg   DIY: Clean your throttle bodies-tb2.jpg   DIY: Clean your throttle bodies-tb-1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011 | 04:43 PM
I guess that's one way to satisfy curiousity. I'd think it'd be cheaper just to take it to the dealer and pay them to do the procedure. It looks like now you may need to pay for a new throttle body or 2 and pay the dealer to properly calibrate them. I can see the dealer hesitating to calibrate throttle bodies with the rivets drilled out that have been screwed back together. I wish you luck though.

P.S. Sorry.... I lost track of this thread and just now re-read your above posts. If even the dealer can't reset the idle, I'd try to maybe find someone who'd be wiling to let you slap their throttle bodies on to see if the car will calibrate then. If not, you'd at least know that something else is causing the problem. Good luck again.

Last edited by G3Sx; 11-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yanns (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011 | 09:25 PM
NYT
Will using an oil catch can virtually eliminate the TB getting so dirty? If so, why is everyone not doing this mod?

Old 11-27-2011 | 09:30 PM
I doubt it. It's not just oil that gets in them, but deposits that normally occur as a result of combustion.

Old 11-27-2011 | 09:56 PM
Air goes through the TB before it ever gets to the oil catch can so I don't think the can will do anything to prevent the TB from getting dirty

Old 11-28-2011 | 10:32 PM
It seems as though if you're not having idle issues it's not worth doing this DIY. It also seems like it may be safer to just rub some throttle cleaner with a rag and try to get as much dirt out without actually unscrewing the throttle bodies. Too many people are having issues with this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies