UpRev ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UpRev ECU Upgrade

Hey all,

I have been looking through the forums here in regards to the ECU flashes for my 2008 A/T G35 Journey, I have intake and exhaust installed.. and I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

I live in Tampa and I have contacted the local uprev dealer which is a reputable custom shop here in town. They seem pretty knowledgeable with my engine and seem to have a good understanding of how the VQ engine makes power. They said the new uprev flash came out recently, however they have not installed it on the 07' or 08' G's but have done a lot of 03-06 G's. Is anyone using the new uprev flash? Also, their pricing seems right inline with what other have said also.

Some of the things they covered with me was that they use an open ecu tuning. They adjust the timing, AFR, cam's both intake and exhaust. And in the previous Gen they saw gains from 30-35 torque and 10-25 hp gains "noting more torque gains than hp". They also said that they heard Gen 2 uprev makes a lot more gains than previous generations. "http://www.uprev.com"

Also they said they have the option to map custom tuned profiles to the cruise control which offers up to 5 maps e.g. street, normal, valet, etc.

They use a dynomyte dyno.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations or tips before I make a decision on purchasing this? Anyone ever use SnR performance to do their tuning? Anyone prefer an uprev flash verses another tuning mode. Other posts mention shops in Cali but obvi that is too far for me :-) Any help would be appreciated with this decision.

Also, are there long term tests while using this on our engines, am I going to need to change out plugs for colder or am I going to expect to have to use different oil or expect higher maintenance costs? I want to keep my "My G" for at least another 50 - 60k miles. I dont want to have to be buying new rods or engine components in a year or so.

Also, does this really increase overall MPG?

sorry for all the q's.

thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
i'm pretty sure you're not gonna run into con rod problems over a simple reflash. good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i was not aware that the UpRev was already out for our cars? any insight folks?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I spoke to UpRev today; they expect to have tunes available for our HRs in January, but Osiris won't yet be ready. I'm probably going to head up there (Austin) when they're ready.

But, I would be astonished to see gains as described in the OP's post, I'm expecting WHP in the low double digits at best.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 3.5 hours to the north and am working in austin on occasion. you can bet your *** when it's ready that I'll be down there in line for some of their wholesome goodness.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Talked to the same shop again today, owner said that UpRev is releasing the whp gains and torque gains to him next week as they have been testing the software with on their own cars and (G35Now) is correct they say software will be in the first week / second week in January. I guess I'm going to be 2nd in line for the flash according to shop...

Does it matter that the new version of Osiris will not be available when they release uprev? Should I wait until new version comes out?

I would assume that since I have some minor mods that the gains will be a little higher?? I saw the dyno results from the previous generation of uprev tunes and they were pretty impressive, owner showed me a dyno graph of a 2006 G that gained 21whp after tune with uprev and I can't remember torque but it was similar if not equal. I think they went from 249 to 270 whp.

I'll keep everyone posted as to what I hear, thanks for the comments so far.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
chit, i better get on the horn with them as i need to be on that list as well...

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Can

Spoke to Richard at uprev today just to check on the status again.
Like we stated before they are releasing the updates to the protuners 1st / 2nd week in January.

He also said the VQ35HR car they tested on (the Z on the homepage uprev.com) was bone stock and received a 6hp gain, although he said that they didn't do an extensive amount of dyno tuning on the car. He mentioned that some of their protuners get more hp out of the car due to the fact that they extensively dyno tune for optimal results. I'm hoping for 10 or more HP since I have a couple breathing mods.

I am counting the days I will probably call the shop 1st week in January because I am so impatient. If anyone else gets tuned please keep us in the loop.

Originally Posted by G35Now!
I spoke to UpRev today; they expect to have tunes available for our HRs in January, but Osiris won't yet be ready. I'm probably going to head up there (Austin) when they're ready.

But, I would be astonished to see gains as described in the OP's post, I'm expecting WHP in the low double digits at best.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
this place is in austin? how much does something like this run?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The going rate in California is about 750 for Osiris + tune. Additional if you like Cipher.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Is $750 for 6hp ($125/hp) a bit expensive?
Just a rough guess/calculation but did Terryc pay in the $60-$70/whp price range?
I realize these are two entirely different levels of mods but how much R&D goes into ECU flashes to justify the seemingly high cost/hp and how much labour is involved.
This is a sincere question by one who does not know. I am not being a smart ***.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Here in Tampa SandRPerformance is giving a huge discount on the flash and tune. You don't get uprev's software or cable (to keep) but you still get the product flashed on the ECU and a professional dyno tune. They only have so many slots for the VQ35HR right now and when they fill up I would assume they are going to start charging their normal rates which are inline with what I have seen in the posts. I guess the discount comes so low because it is new and I am sure they will be using the first couple HR's as a testbed baseline for future tunes.

Heck, SandR's price is so resonable I could buy their tune and cipher off uprevs website and still come in under normal pricing.

As For me, it is actually my cheapest (and smartest) mod yet. Even if I only get 6hp which I hope I get double that it will be worth it just to smooth out the curve through the band and balance my AFR's.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Is $750 for 6hp ($125/hp) a bit expensive?
Just a rough guess/calculation but did Terryc pay in the $60-$70/whp price range?
I realize these are two entirely different levels of mods but how much R&D goes into ECU flashes to justify the seemingly high cost/hp and how much labour is involved.
This is a sincere question by one who does not know. I am not being a smart ***.
You have hit the nail on the head. Getting small gains out of these motors is lots o' $$$$ The most you can ever hope to get out of a VQ in ANY form in NA is 400hp +/-. In the Castrol Syntech Top Shop Challenge, Sport Compact Magazine took a VQ35DE and built the bottom added Cosworth pistons, heads, and intake, they got a shade over 400 hp. They spent MANY DOLLARS. For less than half of what they spent, you can get FI and get 400+.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Just fyi uprev has released their updates to their pro tuners for the hour motors.

I went to the shop yesterday to let them copy my rom. From there they are sending it to uprev where they do their thing. Should only be a couple days till my tune!

Uprev.com..... Made their deadline and I'm happy now and can't wait till next week!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
So the release is only available if you live by one of their Pro Turners?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UpRev ECU Upgrade