Short Ram / Hood changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Short Ram / Hood changes

I was talking with some buddies yesterday and discussing that the stock intake on my g35s sedan is obviously not the best design for airflow to the engine. We were thinking that I could replace them with short rams right where the filter boxes are now and to aid in the airflow, a new hood with intake holes should also be added.

What are some of the best and best-per-dollar short rams for an 08 g35s sedan?
Also, is there a hood to accommodate with intake cutouts right where the intakes are placed?

Thanks for the help, I've already learned so much from these forums,
eatsleepdrum

Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
SRI's? None. They're mostly for sound than anything else. Arguably, they don't work as well as the OEM intake which actually draws air from outside, through the grill, and has a semi-ram-air effect at highway speeds.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope someone can produce a hood with intake hole as well.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
I was thinking CAI but I really don't want to take my entire front end off to install/change filters. There's got to be a better way!

Maybe a list of some of the best intakes for the v36 is in order?
From what I've read there are dozens of different brands who make intake for the g35 sedans but how do I know which is the most technologically sound? Performance and audible sound matter just as much as well.

so... What are the some of y'alls favorite intakes for the g35 sedan?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
the problem with a cold air on these cars. is you are not going to get one. it will get heat soaked and then be pulling in hot air. thats why they are saying tha the stock instake boxes are actualy the best for these cars because they have a mini ram air built into them which is acuallly pulling air from outside of the car which is cooler. just get some knn drop in filters

Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
R2C is by far the best made intakes for the G IMO with an easy install, great dry performance filters(check website for testing and dynos) good sound and great heat shields that seal with the hood and are enclosed from all four corners as well.

I went through researching a lot of intakes before choosing them and they have great finishes on the piping i just got black chrome that i got to swap out this weekend.

So my vote is obviously for the R2C!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:01 PM
So why would I get the R2C over a pop charger? A little cleaner for a lot more money?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Crespo
I hope someone can produce a hood with intake hole as well.
There is a Ram-Air Hood for the 07+ G Sedan.
The make escapes me right now, but there are pics of it around here somewhere..
It was on one of the car show G's a few years ago. I thought it looked great and looked for it recently but couldn't seem to find it (I admit that I have a short attention span sometimes)

Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ i am not telling you to buy it you asked what everyone like so i told you my choice. Do your research and you will know for yourself

Last edited by kool_yaar; 03-24-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A big issue with our intakes IMO is heat soak from the throttle bodies. There is coolent circulating through them. Once the engine gets to operating temperature, the throttle bodies do as well and heat up the air. I am planning on making a bypass valve to stop the circulation through them. It looks like an easy fix. From there getting an intakes with plastic tubing instead of metal would help out too.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
^ The coolant flows over a small area and the air passes it at pretty high velocity. I doubt the coolant would have a chance to heat up the air much.

As for CAI's, they DO work but the gains that you receive are

A) Minimal (without a tune that is)
B) Dependent upon intake (Stillen 3G generally allows a little more power to be produced versus Injen CAI).
C) Are usually over a certain RPM range, usually upwards of 5,000RPM.

If you're planning on tuning the ECU, a CAI can be beneficial. This is proved by the increase in air (indicated by a leaner A/F ratio on the dyno) a CAI provides over the stock units. SRI's generally provide very minimal gains if any, mostly because of their placement in the engine bay. I've had both Injen SRI and now using Injen CAI. Even though my A/F ratio became leaner after installing the CAI, I did feel more power and even more should be produced once the A/F ratio is adjusted.

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 03-25-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Personally I don't like aftermarket filters, if I was go for one I would only go for the Stillen 3G as the filters are located behind the front grill.

and why would you want cutouts in your hood? It'll just look ghetto and I doubt you'd benefit from anything

Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM
CAI is just too much work and cost for such minimal gains over SRI, that's the only reason I wouldn't put it on.

Kool- sorry bro didn't mean to sound like an *** haha
Gevo - I'd love to hear more about it.
Kuwaity - great advice man... looks like CAI isn't for me just yet.
Defratos - I just want it to be different! I feel like that hood could be even more aggressive with proper cutouts - and that also would eliminate the hot air getting to the SRI.

One more thing - any intakes offer the same type of style that sucks straight from the grill like the stock one does? And the biggest question of the day* what the heck is the tube between the intake and the engine that the ztube replaces? Doesn't that restrict airflow like none other? Can I just replace it with a straight plastic tube?
AH I think I found the official name - a post mass airflow hose?*

thanks yall

Last edited by eatsleepdrum; 03-25-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
I just call them intake tubes. The stock pieces are not restrictive. they are straight through and the ribbed part is to allow flex, which doesn't really have any negative effect anyway. Cobb Tuning makes replacement silicone tubes that are straight through and remove the ribbed part. they come in different colors. Those tubes, coupled with something like Wix dry-type drop in filters would be a good combo. Personally if I didn't go with a CAI, I'd go that route.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Awesome, I just took another look at them and realized that 1) you're right kuwaity and 2) I was probably smoking crack when I saw a "restrictor" in the tube.

Aren't Stillen gen 3 long tubes more "cold air" beneficial than other CAIs?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Short Ram / Hood changes