V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Gracenote DB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gracenote DB

I searched in this forum and couldn't find an answer.

I am wondering how to update the DB on my car. I want it to be able to recognize new CDs I have purchased. I don't want to rename songs that are on my Music Box.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 PM
One of the biggest complaints about the Gracenote thing... the fact that it's out of date already and it doesn't contain any info for CDs that were released after the program was created.

Apparently Infiniti thought of this, and instead of upgrading the software in the car, they offer a solution:

http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/

What you do is try to search for the missing titles, transfer the info to a CF card and run a utility that they provide on your PC with the card connected. After you do this and the track information is updated, you can take the card back to the car and import the info back into the Music Box, and you're all set.

Clever work-around... It would have been nice if there was a way to update the Gracenote db itself constantly from the web, but it's better than nothing.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by MikeOC
One of the biggest complaints about the Gracenote thing... the fact that it's out of date already and it doesn't contain any info for CDs that were released after the program was created.

Apparently Infiniti thought of this, and instead of upgrading the software in the car, they offer a solution:

http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/

What you do is try to search for the missing titles, transfer the info to a CF card and run a utility that they provide on your PC with the card connected. After you do this and the track information is updated, you can take the card back to the car and import the info back into the Music Box, and you're all set.

Clever work-around... It would have been nice if there was a way to update the Gracenote db itself constantly from the web, but it's better than nothing.
Thanks. This won't help me for the new CDs I buy in the store right?

Old 08-21-2007, 02:37 PM
This is wierd, the guys at the dealership told me there wasn't a DB in the car. That gracenote was just a method the system used to read the data off of the CD. And, in their words, "Some CDs don't use the info the way Gracenote can read" Grrrr, now I can go back to loading my cds in.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by treacherous
This is for any CD that isn't showing up correctly...new or old.
I finally got around to trying it. This didn't work. When I took the CF card to my car it didn't give me the option to search for missing titles (probably because I don't have any music on the HD). I just want it to correctly read CDs when I listen to them in the car.

I guess there is no way to update the DB for this

Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 PM
This is wierd, the guys at the dealership told me there wasn't a DB in the car. That gracenote was just a method the system used to read the data off of the CD. And, in their words, "Some CDs don't use the info the way Gracenote can read" Grrrr, now I can go back to loading my cds in.
Gracenote is the company that created CDDB which is a database. Reading the info on the CDs is CD-TEXT, which is completely different technology.

I'm pretty sure the find missing titles doesn't actually update the database, but rather calculates the disc ID of the stuff ripped and then uses that disc ID to retrieve the title/artist/track info and then properly tags the files. The CDDB database is pretty large and grows alot, so I imagine allowing updates to the database for CD playback could get somewhat unwieldy soon.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dopey
Gracenote is the company that created CDDB which is a database. Reading the info on the CDs is CD-TEXT, which is completely different technology.

I'm pretty sure the find missing titles doesn't actually update the database, but rather calculates the disc ID of the stuff ripped and then uses that disc ID to retrieve the title/artist/track info and then properly tags the files. The CDDB database is pretty large and grows alot, so I imagine allowing updates to the database for CD playback could get somewhat unwieldy soon.
Most commercially produced CDs are not encoded with CD-TEXT, if they were the car would recognize them right away with out the need for the Gracenote data base as the titles would be stored on the disc. The data base is designed to identify commercially produced discs by looking at a number of characteristics on the table of contents (number of tracks, length of each track, etc.) As the cars are not able to connect to the internet to search the database for titles, the only way that Gracenote would allow Infiniti to create a full database update is if they were paying for that service and could offer a secure way to transfer the information. Gracenote's database is a pay service, and they don't want someone making a copy and starting a competing service.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:22 PM
You can make burn of your CD and add the CD text using Nero (I'm pretty sure, because I haven't done it in years.) If not Nero, there are other programs that will do it. Basically, the program finds the album/artist/track info from the internet CDDB, and burns it to the CD-R.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by barrister89
You can make burn of your CD and add the CD text using Nero (I'm pretty sure, because I haven't done it in years.) If not Nero, there are other programs that will do it. Basically, the program finds the album/artist/track info from the internet CDDB, and burns it to the CD-R.
iTunes will also do it. I was just hoping for a way to avoid that. I guess the CF slot is useless for me as I rip everything in iTunes to AAC and buy a lot of stuff from iTunes. I guess I really need the iPod interface to have my complete music solution.