V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

GRIPES -What was Infiniti thinking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry GRIPES -What was Infiniti thinking?

Just drove home a new '07 G sedan.
Love the engine......Love the technology....

But........I have a few gripes....
Maybe someone can help explain.....

1. The disabled functions while driving.....is driving me completely nuts. ie. navigation, music box searches, convenience settings.....what the hell?.....is there a way to overide this feature without messing with the electrical system?

2. The automatic headlight off feature is only available in "auto" mode. I'm the type that likes to keep the headlights on during the day. If I keep the headlights in the "ON" position, the lights don't turn off until 5 minutes. This automatic off feature cannot be engaged in the "ON" position....only in Auto....which the lights will be off during the day.

3. It would be nice to have a split screen Navigation Map/Radio screen.

4. Why can't the music box system be configured to burn from the disc changer or compact flash?

5. The XM satellite radio screen should have the text of the artist and song with the preset screen. Instead, the user must toggle to "TEXT" to see this information. There is plenty of room on the left hand side to show this info.

6. The circular control module would be better positioned near the handrest, dare I say.......like the BMW......(ouch....cringes)

I'm sure I'll have more.....I'm just learning the ins and outs of this car.
But on the whole, I love the car....the ride.....the engine....the abundance of technology.

But just as technology goes.....the more you are given.....the more critical you become.....

As the Japanese say....."KAIZEN & HANSEI"...
(continuous improvement thru relentless reflection)

Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering, why do you like to keep the headlights on during the day?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=G Wiz]Just drove home a new '07 G sedan.

- If you have a route entered, just push the "Status" button until you see the arrows/directions at the bottom of the screen. It'll have your Radio info. at the top with your route info. just right below it.
5. The XM satellite radio screen should have the text of the artist and song with the preset screen. Instead, the user must toggle to "TEXT" to see this information. There is plenty of room on the left hand side to show this info.
- My XM trial is over, but from what I remember is that if you push the "Status" button it should tell you the name and then you could have your fuel economy showing at the bottom, or route info., or climate settings.

With this "Staus" feature it shows you what you're currently listening to on the top of the screen and it can show you your climate control settings, or route info., or fuel economy info. below the music info.

Hope this helps!
QUOTE]

Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to keep the headlights on in the day to be seen.

I frequently drive down 2 lane roads (one lane each way) and head on traffic will instantly see the oncoming lights.
Also, when drivers see me in their side or rear view mirrors the lights make my presence more prominent.....sort of like a loud motorcycle proclaiming its existence.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Just drove home a new '07 G sedan.

1. The disabled functions while driving.....is driving me completely nuts. ie. navigation, music box searches, convenience settings.....what the hell?.....is there a way to overide this feature without messing with the electrical system?
Every car does that, its something to avoid lawsuits.

2. The automatic headlight off feature is only available in "auto" mode. I'm the type that likes to keep the headlights on during the day. If I keep the headlights in the "ON" position, the lights don't turn off until 5 minutes. This automatic off feature cannot be engaged in the "ON" position....only in Auto....which the lights will be off during the day.
Most people don't care if they have their version of daytime running lights. Besides, I personally don't like the idea of having xenon's running constantly.

Hit the "STATUS" button repeatedly until it shows a map screen on the bottom half.

4. Why can't the music box system be configured to burn from the disc changer or compact flash?
Don't know, just the way it was designed.

Again, hit the "STATUS" button.

6. The circular control module would be better positioned near the handrest, dare I say.......like the BMW......(ouch....cringes)
Why would you need to use the circular ****? Thats what the steering wheel controls are for.

I'm sure I'll have more.....I'm just learning the ins and outs of this car.
But on the whole, I love the car....the ride.....the engine....the abundance of technology.

But just as technology goes.....the more you are given.....the more critical you become.....

Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Every car does that, its something to avoid lawsuits.
acura doesnt. i can use the navi in my RDX ANYTIME. so frustrating not to be able to use it while moving. so then not even my passengers could use it. how different is using navi than using the radio? or adjusting the climate control?

Originally Posted by fecurtis
Most people don't care if they have their version of daytime running lights. Besides, I personally don't like the idea of having xenon's running constantly.
they say xenons will last longer than the car itself. why not take advantage of that? my STi will turn the lights off as soon as i turn the key to 'off.' this seriously has to be the cheapest convenience feature that most companies dont do. the RDX doesnt turn them off until 30 seconds after the car is shut off...why cant they just shut them off as soon as the car is off?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Yep! Acura does make the nav controllable during driving. I like this feature a lot.

Car manufacturers make headlight dimmer during the day and full bright at night. This is DRL. For the dimming reason, it cannot be HID, but halogen. If the car equipment with HID, they will use an auxiliary halogen light for DRL.

I see many people making independent fog mod. They just turn on fog light without turning on headlight and using fog light as DRL.

I remember seeing a howto article for 1st generation, but haven't seen the one for 2nd generation.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by happasaiyan
acura doesnt. i can use the navi in my RDX ANYTIME. so frustrating not to be able to use it while moving. so then not even my passengers could use it. how different is using navi than using the radio? or adjusting the climate control?

they say xenons will last longer than the car itself. why not take advantage of that? my STi will turn the lights off as soon as i turn the key to 'off.' this seriously has to be the cheapest convenience feature that most companies dont do. the RDX doesnt turn them off until 30 seconds after the car is shut off...why cant they just shut them off as soon as the car is off?
So you have a G35, an RDX and an STi?

Wierd, I have a G35, my wife has an RDX and I use to have a WRX

Looks like we have very similar taste for cars.

William

William

Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by happasaiyan

Most cars keep headlights on and call them "courtesy lights". Something some people find useful when parking in a dark place at night. I actually see no use in it. You can actually turn that feature off.

But I will agree, the fact that I can't scroll through all the traffic updates while I'm moving is quite annoying.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by chakdey
just wondering, why do you like to keep the headlights on during the day?

Hey there,

Canadian onboard here. Unlike the US everywhere else in the developed world headlights are a must during the day. We call them daylight running lights. It's proven through countless studies and sheer logic that running your headlights on during the day will have you be seen more than just driving without them on.

Makes sense doesn't it? The 1970's have long passed. Canada adopted this law back in the late 80's a decade later than our Euro cousins.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by G Wiz
I like to keep the headlights on in the day to be seen.

I frequently drive down 2 lane roads (one lane each way) and head on traffic will instantly see the oncoming lights.
Yeah, it's a great safety feature IMO. Daytime Running Lights have been mandatory here in Canada for over 17 years. The fog lights on the Canadian 07 Sedans act as the DRLs.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by PR G35S
So you have a G35, an RDX and an STi?

Wierd, I have a G35, my wife has an RDX and I use to have a WRX

Looks like we have very similar taste for cars.

William

William
haha

actually, i have an RSX-S, an RDX and an STi...and im currently looking into trading in the RSX and the STi in for something (the wife drives the RDX). my co-worker has let me drive his '07 G35x a few times...and i am seriously looking into get it. (realllllly wish they had a G35x-sport with 6mt, though!)

the other runner-ups are the TL-S, the upcoming TSX or the upcoming TL. currently, its looking like i will sacrifice the AWD for the 6MT and get the G35S. i have gripes with the G and the TL-S, but the G seems like the better package for me, right now.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Yeah, it's a great safety feature IMO. Daytime Running Lights have been mandatory here in Canada for over 17 years. The fog lights on the Canadian 07 Sedans act as the DRLs.
This is the first car I've owned with DRLs.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
This is the first car I've owned with DRLs.
LOL, I take it you've owned some older cars huh?

Old 09-05-2007, 02:39 PM
According to the NHTSA, DRL's do not decrease the number of accidents. In fact, in some cases it may be worse. A few examples:

1. Improperly installed DRL's (aka when your headlights are aimed higher than they should be, which happens over time after hitting bumps and what not...hence why sometimes it appears that one headlight is far brigher than the other), these cause glare towards other drivers, impairing their sight.
2. When you use the windshield wipers, your head and tail lamps must be on. However, most people with DRL's fail to realize that they only have their headlights on, not their tails, so they'll be less inclined to actually turn them both on.

In America, DRL's have not been proven to reduce the overall number of accidents. The difference in the number of accidents between DRL's and non-DRL's is statistically insignificant. They do reduce the number of head on collisions on two lane roads during sunrise and sunset. States like MD have it as law to turn on your headlights at all times on two lane roads only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GRIPES -What was Infiniti thinking?