V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
Don't take what I wrote the wrong way, I agree we all waste fuel. It's just to what degree. I think V8 sports cars waste fuel, however not to the degree an SUV does. Also, there are far fewer of them. My other thought is that there are an aweful lot of SUV's. Some people have a legitimate reason for them. Large faimilies. etc. However, MOST people don't. They buy them as a bragging right. That that thing I hate most.
I was just trying to play Devil's Advocate. I agree its extremely excessive and wasteful to let your car warm up for 30 minutes. This is 2008 not 1968, we don't even really need to warm up our cars unless its extremely cold and even then it doesn't need to be warmed up for very long. Just don't go out and dog the car out while its cold because your car is running incredibly rich. If you baby it, the car will actually warm up far quicker anyway.

Edmunds did a test and found that avoiding excessive idling improves fuel economy by 19%, rule of thumb, if you're going to be leaving your car idling for more than a minute, just turn it off. You can find the article here:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...2/article.html

Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Mr Inkredibul
If butt ain't on the seat..it doesn't heat. I thought most cars have sensors that if you aren't sitting in it, it won't heat.
Not totally true... I have an 07 G35x and I turn on the passenger seat heater on high when I go to pick up my girl. By the time I get to her house(10 mins away) her seat is warm to the touch. I do agree that you have to put pressure on the seat for it to actually feel "hot" though.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by fecurtis
I was just trying to play Devil's Advocate. I agree its extremely excessive and wasteful to let your car warm up for 30 minutes. This is 2008 not 1968, we don't even really need to warm up our cars unless its extremely cold and even then it doesn't need to be warmed up for very long. Just don't go out and dog the car out while its cold because your car is running incredibly rich. If you baby it, the car will actually warm up far quicker anyway.

Edmunds did a test and found that avoiding excessive idling improves fuel economy by 19%, rule of thumb, if you're going to be leaving your car idling for more than a minute, just turn it off. You can find the article here:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...2/article.html

Great, glad we agree. Nice to know there are reasonable people on here. Only been on here less than a week (just go the car).

I was reading an article the other day about a new car (it was American, think Chevy) coming from one of their European models. They are importing it ot the U.S. Finally a good move for them I think. Anyway, that car will actually shift into netural when you come to a complete stop. It then goes to drive when you hit the gas. This was to save fuel. If you guys have ever been to Malyasia, Singapore, or Europe I always noticed the auto drives shift their cars to neutral whenever they stop. They said they do it since the price of gas is so high. Even that bit of savings is a big help. Great.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by mossman
Nice list of cars. Do they make you feel better about yourself..

Actually, the reason I got the Infiniiti was for AWD. The Altima doesn't come in AWD. I live in Vermont, we get some snow up here... I plan on putting snow tires on the G. I feel they are a must up here.

So yes, I feel I am justified getting an AWD car over an AWD truck for example.

Lincoln Navigator........... geezzzz Nothing else to say about that one. That fact alone says a lot about you...

No, haven't donated one cent to Al gore but nice try. How did I know you were a republican... Amazing, but some time stereotypes are actually accurate.

I need not continue this conversation with you. Stick to your beliefs and I will silently say thank you to you this afternoon while I fill up my G on the way to my country club for lunch.