V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

got rid of some Rattles!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking got rid of some Rattles!!!!

I have been on a mission to get rid of all the rattles when listening to music with heavy bass. I thought i would post my progress. The main rattles on the inside of the car were coming from the rear rack of the car and the front doors.

In the rear of the car I narrowed it down to 1) the child seat anchor covers, 2) the center console and 3) the Bose woofer grill.

1) the anchor covers were the loudest rattle by far. a quick fix is to just leave them open. but for a permanent fix, all i did was put a thin strip of weather stripping on the bottom of the cover so it rests on the foam & not on the plastic part. - problem solved, rattle gone!!!

2) the center console rattled at the point where the plastic "frame" rested against the metal of the wall between the trunk & the cabin of the car. I just put a thin layer of weather stripping down along where the "frame" touched the wall & then reattached everything - no more rattle!!!

3) as for the woofer grill this was a much more difficult task. those of you who have taken out the rear rack, know that it is not an easy task. you have to take out the following: rear seat cushion, rear seat backs, center console and three pieces of trim on both sides. well...once i got it all off i did not see how to take the grill off without damaging stuff. so what i did was put weather stripping along the outer edge of the rear sub so that the woofer grill rests on the weather stripping as opposed to hanging freely to vibrate. so far so good...no more rattle.

as far as the doors go. i did not take the entire door panel off. i just took off the cover for the screw behind the door handle and the window switch panel. I again put some weather stripping on all the contact points and viola! the rattles are gone!

as for the outside of the car, the biggest rattle was coming from the tail lights and the trunk lid liner. i am sure you can guess what i did to the trunk lid liner...pulled it off....weather stripping...poof...rattles gone.

basically the same was true for the tail lights. i stood outside my car and when the bass would hit, if i was touching the tail light, then there was no rattle. as soon as i let go...rattle!! so, i took of the rear lights...put some weather stripping on it & no more rattles!

there are still a few very small rattles with certain frequencies, but i am going to give the car some time to break in before i chase those down. Overall, you don't hear them during normal listening...so no point in running the risk of breaking something & making things worse.

The big rattles are gone and things sound great.

hope this helps!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info

Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am assuming you have a aftermarket setup in your trunk. What is it?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
My bose generates enough bass to get rattles in certain songs. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Time to stock up on some weather stripping ... Great info!

Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great write up....i have some various rattles that really annoy me when the SOW is otherwise amazing in its funtion and sound.

The rear deck generates some noise on 50% of major deep bass applications, i especially hear it during low overall gain situations.

the front doors right next to my elbows make the other 50% of rattles during certain frequencies in mid level gains.

at HIGH volumes, the sound overwhelms the rattles and i cannot hear them. They mostly occur at 40-60percent volume. anything from rap/rock/electronic.

any inputs on this stanfna?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:29 PM
IvoryPearl07G - i had the same rattles you described & what i did in the first post got rid of them.

my system....

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-general-tech-questions/196089-4080-amp-install.html - post #6, 7, 8 & 15

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/96499-should-i-get-4080-zenclosures.html - post # 24

Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice job. Any kind of weather stripping you used in particular?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM
yeah....but i don't remember what specifically it is called. i just went to Home Depot and looked at the different types. i used the foam type that is sticky on one side. maybe....1/4" thick? However I ended up cutting it in half most of the time so it would fit in the smaller areas. but the sticky side makes it really easy to put on.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
great thanks for the info...I plan on doing this plus dynamating the rear deck.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Do you not get the rattles from the roof liner?

I have 2 12" subs in my car, and i actually STRIPPED the entire rear of the car only to find out that the ROOF was rattling.

Then my amp died so I am waiting for my JL Audio 1000/1 to come in and then i am goin gto rip the roof off ..

So far, i have removed the afctory 10" Bose sub in the rear, and left the grill there.