V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Just Installed K&N Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Installed K&N Filters

Hi all. Just dropped in 2 K&N filters for my G-unit. Went for a test drive, engine sounds a bit deeper, more responsive, and a tiny bit faster. Overall I feel a small difference which I'm happy with.

Air suction sound is same as before, not louder and no whistle sound... maybe after the filters break-in few hundred miles. Hopefully the K&N filters will help with gas mileage.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM
They will certainly help bring in more dirt into your oil.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
And other intake filters won't?

I believe K&N actually supplies filters for some intake companies.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by oughttoreturn
Hi all. Just dropped in 2 K&N filters for my G-unit. Went for a test drive, engine sounds a bit deeper, more responsive, and a tiny bit faster. Overall I feel a small difference which I'm happy with.

Air suction sound is same as before, not louder and no whistle sound... maybe after the filters break-in few hundred miles. Hopefully the K&N filters will help with gas mileage.

As for the sound, I hear the whistle a bit louder and the growl is tad bit louder under WOT. It could be just me though.

Anyways,

Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
^It is just your car cuz it's special!

Does K&N filter really work tho'? I mean... for that price... I don't know.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really tough to say without a dyno. On a 1g turbo DSM, the stock filter is cone shaped. Removing the air can and adding a K+N is good for about 10hp. Now, that is turbo car, I would suspect a K+N drop in would net you 1hp...maybe.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
Really tough to say without a dyno. On a 1g turbo DSM, the stock filter is cone shaped. Removing the air can and adding a K+N is good for about 10hp. Now, that is turbo car, I would suspect a K+N drop in would net you 1hp...maybe.
None of the intake systems currently available for the G35 will net you any negligible power increase. Infiniti did a great job in desigining the stock air boxes. Cobb Tuning recently documented this on their blog. I bought these filters as replacement for my stock filter because I can wash them when they are dirty. Easy math for me $12X 2 every 7500-10000 miles or $85.00 unlimited life span.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C5TOG35
None of the intake systems currently available for the G35 will net you any negligible power increase. Infiniti did a great job in desigining the stock air boxes. Cobb Tuning recently documented this on their blog. I bought these filters as replacement for my stock filter because I can wash them when they are dirty. Easy math for me $12X 2 every 7500-10000 miles or $85.00 unlimited life span.
Right, and that's fine. I was just posting some info on power increases. A lifetime filter is a good thing.

I haven't looked, but is the G35 a MAS or MAP sensor setup? If we have MAS, the oil from the K+N oil can coat the MAS and reduce efficiency.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
gao
the hard truth is that you dont really save anything and unless u race a lot, k&n isnt going to do anything for u except for a tiny sound effect.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E

I'm not sure if it works or not, but knowing I won't need anymore filters is a always good.

I got them as a gift from my friends anyways.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E

The K&N panel filters may not "work" by giving you more HP, but you will save money in the long run for not having to replace your air filter...these ones you just clean, re-oil, let them dry, and them put them back in. in the long run you may see some savings.

they are more effective in other ways such as trapping more dirt due to their superior construction. if you got yourself a set of intake tubes without resonators for a louder sound, and then these panel filters i think it would be a great combo.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brownfv
The K&N panel filters may not "work" by giving you more HP, but you will save money in the long run for not having to replace your air filter...these ones you just clean, re-oil, let them dry, and them put them back in. in the long run you may see some savings.

they are more effective in other ways such as trapping more dirt due to their superior construction. if you got yourself a set of intake tubes without resonators for a louder sound, and then these panel filters i think it would be a great combo.
This is completely false, k&n's trap significantly less dirt than an OEM filter

Old 05-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
This is completely false, k&n's trap significantly less dirt than an OEM filter
You are correct.. OEM filters do a better job of trapping debris and dirt than K&N.

And as for the sound, drop in K&Ns are not going to give you any sound increase to my knowledge. I've tried the drop ins in my Honda and I did not hear anything different.. but who knows it might b different on the VQ motor..

Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I agree OEM filters trap dirt better than K&N. When you look at K&N filter under a light there are lots of tiny open holes...

Would be nice if I can run these filters on some car for 1000 miles then put them in my car, K&N filters works better as it ages.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I've used K&N's for years and never had a problem. I just installed drop in panels and have felt no HP/quickness difference.

I've been very disappointing in my MPG since I bought this car (14,500 miles so far). 16.9 to 17.1 average pre K&N. First two fillup's averaged 18.3 and 17.8 repectively (currently at half a tank on second fill up since K&N) on the 17.8 mpg tank. Not much but it did actually increase a tiny bit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Installed K&N Filters