Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Nitrogen Tires,I'm sold.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Guys no since on arguing. The main thing is: if you can get your tires nitrogen filled easily then it is definitely the way to go. I does have some benifits over air filled tires, period
I don't think me or burns420 are arguing that it doesn't have any benefits, rather the performance benefits will be negligable, and we are simply correcting G35_TX's incorrect statements regarding nitrogen and it "magical" abilities. Its main benefits are that it holds tire pressure for longer through less seapage, and its corrosion resistance, which is pretty worthless for our aluminum wheels. So you may save some time having to fill your tires every few months, which you should do anyways, and repay to have them top off the nitrogen in the tires. Unless you have a home setup so that the tire pressures can be checked when cold, and filled when cold, you are going to have to introduce some air into the tires to maintain them, which will render the "benefits" useless.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I don't think me or burns420 are arguing that it doesn't have any benefits, rather the performance benefits will be negligable, and we are simply correcting G35_TX's incorrect statements regarding nitrogen and it "magical" abilities. Its main benefits are that it holds tire pressure for longer through less seapage, and its corrosion resistance, which is pretty worthless for our aluminum wheels. So you may save some time having to fill your tires every few months, which you should do anyways, and repay to have them top off the nitrogen in the tires. Unless you have a home setup so that the tire pressures can be checked when cold, and filled when cold, you are going to have to introduce some air into the tires to maintain them, which will render the "benefits" useless.
thats it

Old 08-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Oh, then I guess all the information on the Internet about Nitrogen in tires and on race cars is wrong right? lol.

Like it says, it keeps the tires cooler.
Yes... in RACE CARS at RACE TEMPERATURES.

But if you want to waste your money for what amounts to a negligible performance gain at street performance levels, all the power to you.

I have a http://cgi.ebay.ca/VOLTAGE-STABILIZER-GROUND-WIRE-GROUNDING-KIT-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ180145816167QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33577QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and an http://cgi.ebay.ca/Racing-Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-Nitrous-Boost-HP_W0QQitemZ330151051792QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem for you to buy next...

Just stop spreading automotive myths here. This is a reputable forum.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some interesting information here G35_TX, redlude97 and burns420. I think I agree with your summary above redlude.
I'm having some difficulty believing the claims made by the OP.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 350Zed
Yes... in RACE CARS at RACE TEMPERATURES.

But if you want to waste your money for what amounts to a negligible performance gain at street performance levels, all the power to you.

I have a grounding kit and an electric supercharger for you to buy next...

Just stop spreading automotive myths here. This is a reputable forum.
Actually it use to be a reputable forum till the past two years it has gone a bit down hill. Before your time.

Sorry to say I do race, and rather do what I can to get the best out of my car.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
BTW, I use nitrogen, because costco gives it to its members for FREE. I'm just not delusional about its "performance enhacing abilities". I'm also a chemical engineer so I'm fully aware of the effects of different gas molecules and pressure changes due to them. Anyone who has taken a thermodynamics class would laugh at the miniscule differences these sites are claiming that nitrogen makes. Notice how no tangeble quantification was made about any of the "benifits" because if you work out the numbers, its less than 1%

Old 08-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Race teams use it because they have to purchase a gas supplying machine anyways, so why not just use nitrogen instead of air. Nitrogen and oxygen behave almost exactly the same in regards to pressure flucuations, the <1% that is water vapor cannot make a significant performance difference.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Some interesting information here G35_TX, redlude97 and burns420. I think I agree with your summary above redlude.
I'm having some difficulty believing the claims made by the OP.
I totally understand the hesitance or skeptisism.I really believe the car rides a liitle nicer,and I only have to please myself.Question for the chemical engineer.Is it possible the larger molecules in nitrogen help the tire maintain its shape better in turns.And maybe compress less over bumps.Just a theory.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback,I'm still happy with my purchase,maybe thats all that counts.

For anyone curious here's a link to what I put in my tires.There is a dealer locator tool if you don't know where to find one.

www.whynitrofill.com

Last edited by AgentAero04; 08-06-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by AgentAero04
I totally understand the hesitance or skeptisism.I really believe the car rides a liitle nicer,and I only have to please myself.Question for the chemical engineer.Is it possible the larger molecules in nitrogen help the tire maintain its shape better in turns.And maybe compress less over bumps.Just a theory.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback,I'm still happy with my purchase,maybe thats all that counts.

For anyone curious here's a link to what I put in my tires.There is a dealer locator tool if you don't know where to find one.

www.whynitrofill.com
No, not possible. Molecules in a gaseous state actually only make up a small percentage of the space occupied. The pressure is a result of collisions between molecules moving in the free space, it isn't made up of a bunch of molecules tightly packed. One of the characteristics of a "gas" is that the size of the molecules relative to the amount of space surrounding them is small enough that they can be considered points with relatively no volume. That means that both the nitrogen and oxygen molecules are regarded as having appreciably the same size in a gaseous state when considering the characteristics. The only time the size of the molecules comes into play is when pressure loss due to seepage is consider, which is not a performance related issue. I'll bet 99.9% of people who were given nitrogen without their knowledge won't be able to detect a difference. Only the tire pressure matters, not the molecules inside which produce the pressure, and lets not forget once again that air is 78% nitrogen already

Last edited by redlude97; 08-06-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll bet 99.9% of people who were given nitrogen without their knowledge will be able to detect a difference.
I'm sure you mean "won't be able to detect a difference", and what you speak of my aforementioned placebo effect.

It's no different than people putting premium (i.e., 91+ octane) fuel in their cars that are factory-tuned tuned for regular, and using the argument that racing cars use high-octane fuel so it must be better, not knowing that the conditions simply don't exist for them to take advantage of the benefits (i.e., their engine ECU is not capable of advancing timing).

Let's not just gulp-down the advertising Kool-Aid that these companies are feeding us.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM
No, not possible. Molecules in a gaseous state actually only make up a small percentage of the space occupied. The pressure is a result of collisions between molecules moving in the free space, it isn't made up of a bunch of molecules tightly packed. One of the characteristics of a "gas" is that the size of the molecules relative to the amount of space surrounding them is small enough that they can be considered points with relatively no volume. That means that both the nitrogen and oxygen molecules are regarded as having appreciably the same size in a gaseous state when considering the characteristics. The only time the size of the molecules comes into play is when pressure loss due to seepage is consider, which is not a performance related issue. I'll bet 99.9% of people who were given nitrogen without their knowledge will be able to detect a difference. Only the tire pressure matters, not the molecules inside which produce the pressure, and lets not forget once again that air is 78% nitrogen already
Thanks for the reply and the education.I am going to perform a Labotimy on myself and well check in later.

Seriously though what you say makes a lot of sense.thanks and take care.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Edited

Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Screw nitrogen...i'm filling my tires with Hydrogen!!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by 350Zed
I'm sure you mean "won't be able to detect a difference", and what you speak of my aforementioned placebo effect.

It's no different than people putting premium (i.e., 91+ octane) fuel in their cars that are factory-tuned tuned for regular, and using the argument that racing cars use high-octane fuel so it must be better, not knowing that the conditions simply don't exist for them to take advantage of the benefits (i.e., their engine ECU is not capable of advancing timing).

Let's not just gulp-down the advertising Kool-Aid that these companies are feeding us.
At Sunoco's in Canada we can get 94 octane(Ultra 94).Now my car is stock but at least I think it responds better with that fuel.And I've done the math and I get at least 20 kilometers(12 miles) more to the half tank than with regular 87 octane..........NO QUESTION!Oh, the 94 contains only 2% ethonol compared to 10% with regular.But were off topic here,apologise and appreciate your reply and opinion.

Last edited by AgentAero04; 08-06-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Screw nitrogen...i'm filling my tires with Hydrogen!!!!
Where well the wake be?......I'll send something. kidding.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Tires,I'm sold.