Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Oem 19 Tiress... End All To End All

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
Oem 19 Tiress... End All To End All

Ok, ok, I know, I know. This subject has been beaten to death with a stick, brought back to life, shot in the face, resurrected, and now it's going to be throttled and thrown around again. I've searched, researched, looked high & low... and I'm still stuck without a definitive answer.

The rear 19's on my G35 are pretty much gone. The fronts are okay, but they have a bit of wicked wear on the inside.

Here's my dilemma:
I'm planning on sticking with stock sized tires. So please, no one try and convince me/bring other sizes besides
225/40/19 FRONT || 245/40/19 REAR

into this thread, unless you have reasons that will blow my mind.
I know that different size tires will mess with accurate readings from my speedometer. I've seen Redlude say "245/35/19 and 255/40/19".. Is it really worth it for wider tires?

Now, I'm trying to decide whether I should just buy another pair of Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (the ones that come stock) for the rear, or if I should go with something else. I'm not exactly on a budget, so I'd like to know what the absolute BEST tire there is disregarding price, and then tires that are good for their value.

I know Toyo T1Rs are popular on this site because of their value; I, however, am currently straying away from them because I don't like reports of soft side walls.

How about Michellin Sport PS2s? Those look pretty good.

I'm trying to keep the fronts and rears matching, so if I go for another brand of tire, I will most likely (99.9%) replace all 4 tires.

Please give me your opinions, but please don't just say "Yeah, they're good, I've been driving on them for X amount of time and no problems." I need moar, please.

Anything you guys provide me with is appreciated. Many thanks.

Last edited by xx7sephiroth7xx; 07-15-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Personally Had A Number Of Brands On My Stock 19"s..potenzas, Bfgoodrich Kdw2 And Falken Fk452..and The Best Bang For The Dollar Regardless Of Whether U Have A Budget Or Not Would Be Falken Fk452..

Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
G
Originally Posted by 35gsleeper
I Personally Had A Number Of Brands On My Stock 19"s..potenzas, Bfgoodrich Kdw2 And Falken Fk452..and The Best Bang For The Dollar Regardless Of Whether U Have A Budget Or Not Would Be Falken Fk452..
thanks for the reply, 35gsleeper. anyone else stand behind the falkens? i haven't really heard much about them.

on another note, I called Costco, and they can get me all 4 stock-sized Michellin Sport PS2s for $1380 (price includes everything [installation, nitrogen air fill up, etc.])
does this sound any good?

again, i appreciate all replies.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can afford the Michellin PS2s, they are a great tire and handle really well.. You'll still only get about 15K miles out of them though, they're still pretty soft. I liked them, they just didn't last long enough for me, esp when you bring their hefty price into play.

I put the Falken 452s on after that and up until I got my new rims, I liked those as well. Aren't going to handle as well as the PS2s because they aren't as soft, but they are def a very good value tire. Any tire really isn't going to last very long on our Gs, so being able to get a decent tire that won't break the bank is nice. The 452s are perfect.

I have BFG KDWs on my new set of rims. They are also an awesome tire but they scream like hell on the freeway.

You're going to get a lot of debate between Kumho, Toyo, and Falkens on here in the value category. The fact of the matter is, no tire is going to last WAY longer than another on our cars. 20K is about the max I've seen for most people.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
G
Originally Posted by 05GRide
If you can afford the Michellin PS2s, they are a great tire and handle really well.. You'll still only get about 15K miles out of them though, they're still pretty soft. I liked them, they just didn't last long enough for me, esp when you bring their hefty price into play.

I put the Falken 452s on after that and up until I got my new rims, I liked those as well. Aren't going to handle as well as the PS2s because they aren't as soft, but they are def a very good value tire. Any tire really isn't going to last very long on our Gs, so being able to get a decent tire that won't break the bank is nice. The 452s are perfect.

I have BFG KDWs on my new set of rims. They are also an awesome tire but they scream like hell on the freeway.

You're going to get a lot of debate between Kumho, Toyo, and Falkens on here in the value category. The fact of the matter is, no tire is going to last WAY longer than another on our cars. 20K is about the max I've seen for most people.
Thank you for the reply. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards those Michellin Sport PS2s... As far as mileage, as long as it's at least 15k, I think I'll be fine... reason is, I'm going to college soon, but not soon enough to leave the coupe with bald tires. I've had the stock Potenzas now for nearly 20k miles (the car is an 2005). Still, is $1380 from Costco (again, including everything like installation & nitrogen filled tires) a good price for PS2s? or too much? If so, does anyone have a better suggestion on how to get better prices?

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get BFGoodriches (sp?) or Kumhos or Toyos... though the Falken 452s are definitely not off my list yet.

Replies are more than welcome. ^_^

Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ive had toyo t1R and they grip pretty well in dry and wet. the rears lasted me about 18k and my fronts are almost gone with about 20-21k on them. they took the abuse i put on pretty well(heavy foot =D) and the only complaint i have is they get pretty noisy towards the end of its life(but i guess thats a good thing the tires are informing me they need to be replaced..

Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine are 18's but I ride on the PS2s. They're a great tire but don't seem to be lasting long at all. I have about 6k miles on them and the rears are over half worn of the usable tread. The fronts I estimate will get near double the life.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM
G
Originally Posted by nghiars
Ive had toyo t1R and they grip pretty well in dry and wet. the rears lasted me about 18k and my fronts are almost gone with about 20-21k on them. they took the abuse i put on pretty well(heavy foot =D) and the only complaint i have is they get pretty noisy towards the end of its life(but i guess thats a good thing the tires are informing me they need to be replaced..
thanks for your reply on your toyos; that's some pretty good tire life. still, i don't know about the soft tire walls that others have been reporting...

Originally Posted by RBull
Mine are 18's but I ride on the PS2s. They're a great tire but don't seem to be lasting long at all. I have about 6k miles on them and the rears are over half worn of the usable tread. The fronts I estimate will get near double the life.
whoah, thanks for letting me know. 6k miles & half worn already? that's really disconcerting. i'm still leaning towards these tires.

any other people have anything else to say about the ps2s or suggest other tires? (:

Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Michelin PS2's and they are a great tire...but really expensive. The Falken 452's and Toyo T1R's handle just as well (from the opinions of others) and cost less. They also last as long as the PS2's, if not longer. A vendor here quoted me around $850 shipped for the Falken 452's, add about $100 for install and you'd save about $400 (compared to the $1380 from Costco). Now I know you said price isn't an issue, but I'm POSITIVE you could use that extra $400 for something else.

Since you have OEM 19's, maybe putting that extra money towards some spacers wouldn't be a bad idea. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Klumzyee will vouch for the PS2's.

They're expensive, but far superior to the T1R and the P-Zeros he currently has on his car...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM
G
Originally Posted by hanguk9117
I have Michelin PS2's and they are a great tire...but really expensive. The Falken 452's and Toyo T1R's handle just as well (from the opinions of others) and cost less. They also last as long as the PS2's, if not longer. A vendor here quoted me around $850 shipped for the Falken 452's, add about $100 for install and you'd save about $400 (compared to the $1380 from Costco). Now I know you said price isn't an issue, but I'm POSITIVE you could use that extra $400 for something else.

Since you have OEM 19's, maybe putting that extra money towards some spacers wouldn't be a bad idea. Just my $0.02.
Hmm, thanks for the reply. Still fairly sure that I'm not going to buy T1Rs... 452s, maybe... Again, although price really isn't much of an issue saving $400 sounds pretty good if I can find that vendor, find a shop to install, and I read up more on the Falkens to convince myself. Gah, decisions, decisions... >.<
I actually am going to buy some spacers.. I think I found them for $130 a pair, project kics w/ hubcentric rings. I'm thinking going 20mm front/25mm rear; i just need to pull the trigger. I also want to drop the car on 350z h-techs... i just replaced my oil & the dealer (santa monica infiniti) did their complimentary inspection and recommended that I get new tires and a 4 wheel alignment (necessary? i'm not even going to give a second thought to the fuel flush they recommended)

Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Klumzyee will vouch for the PS2's.

They're expensive, but far superior to the T1R and the P-Zeros he currently has on his car...
Wow, better than P-Zeros? I think I'm almost sold! :P Thanks for the response.

Please, keep the replies coming.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires for OEM 19" are so expensive, cost me like 1200 to replace all 4 with original bridestones. I'd say you can just get a set of rims/tires between 2500-3000, it more worth it. I know for sure you can get a set of Axis Penta with Falken for under 2500. This way saves you like 300 on spacers too.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
G
Originally Posted by jlin615
Tires for OEM 19" are so expensive, cost me like 1200 to replace all 4 with original bridestones. I'd say you can just get a set of rims/tires between 2500-3000, it more worth it. I know for sure you can get a set of Axis Penta with Falken for under 2500. This way saves you like 300 on spacers too.
Haha, although I said price was not too much of an issue, I don't think I can get away with new rims... (I've got my eye set on a set of MercSilver Volk GT-S down the line... )

Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
Haha, although I said price was not too much of an issue, I don't think I can get away with new rims... (I've got my eye set on a set of MercSilver Volk GT-S down the line... )

Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

Ha! I was gonna settle with Axis Penta, but then now I got my eyes on GT-S too, too bad they dont make them in 20in.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
G
Originally Posted by jlin615
Ha! I was gonna settle with Axis Penta, but then now I got my eyes on GT-S too, too bad they dont make them in 20in.
Hahah. Indeed, tho I'm sure 20in. would be really heavy.
I'm sure we can achieve the same weight with bigger lips on 19in.

I still need to get those spacers...

Anyone else have any more input?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oem 19 Tiress... End All To End All