Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Have a Question/s About Wheels/Tires/Offsets/Camber/Etc? Ask here::

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 856_reilly
hey shane was wondering if you can give me a heads up on this im planning to run a 20x10 0 in the front and a 20x11 -5 in the rear. i want aggresive but was wondering if its to much to go with i understand that when i drop my car ill have to do a roll and a pull but is it a major pull? and the camber will b in the neg. and i need to aline it correctly but after all is said and done will there still be big neg. camber to where ill go through tires lk crazy. please let me know if possible thanks bro
yepppp also depends how much you drive your car and what kinda tires you get but with those offsets i say your gonna go thru tires like underware lol (nohomo)

Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have your car set up with low offsets and lowered? cause all im reading and talkin to people they say as long as i do it right ill have a little wear but wont go threw tires lk crazy. if you can give me more info that would be great. cause u said " with those offset i say u would go thru tires" do you know or are u just assuming? not tryin to be a dick at all just tryin to get correct info. lmk thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 856_reilly
you have your car set up with low offsets and lowered? cause all im reading and talkin to people they say as long as i do it right ill have a little wear but wont go threw tires lk crazy. if you can give me more info that would be great. cause u said " with those offset i say u would go thru tires" do you know or are u just assuming? not tryin to be a dick at all just tryin to get correct info. lmk thanks
you can ride good and wont go thru tires as fast as changing underwear. Get a rear camber kit and make sure that you get the TOE in spec. Granted you wont get 30k outta ur tires you'll be at about 10k or so depending on tire. Im slammed to the ground wit single digit offsets and -3.2 camber and just changed tires bout 3-4k ago and tread is still lookin nice. Just get toe into spec, camber is more to get the fitment right but it obviously will have some negative impact on tire life but as long as ur toe is good you'll be alright.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
yea thats what ive been reading dudes makin it sound lk im goin to get a week out of my tires. yea i have the rear kit w/ toe bolts on my car already just need to get the fronts.goin to do the front when i get the wheels then ill take it to the shop and have them dial it all in

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool, just get a good alignment shop to do it. get the printout and just post it up. guys can prolly let ya know how good it was dialed in.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 AM
NEWB Questions

Shane,

I understand that you're the guy to talk to about wheels. I'm really excited to finally be able to put some wheels on my car, and now I just need some help to steer me in the right direction.

I want to put some 20" wheels on my 2003 G35 6MT Coupe w/ Brembos. This is my daily driver and I'd like a set-up that isn't going to be chewing up tires too often. I'd also like to avoid any rubbing and don't want to have to roll my lip.

I'm running the Kuhmo Ectasa Platinum tires right now, and with their tread wear rating of 600, am getting great wear. They're also pretty quiet and offer a nice ride (things that I would prefer not to have to compromise with my new set-up).

I'm really new to all of this, and a lot of the terminology used here is pretty foreign to me. I know that I need to choose rims carefully, and was hoping for some insight. I've read A LOT of the posts on this forum, but I get discouraged easily because I get confused with the terminology. I also see guys going WAY more aggressive than I would want to with ride height, and I just don't want to make those compromises.

Where should I begin shopping for wheels?

Can you reccomend the right size wheels (width/offset/etc...)?

What 20" tire size(s) should I run to avoid rubbing?

THANKS!!!

- BigJason

Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
yea mean def. I will post the sheet up. The shop i use is very, very good mainly this is all they do( these type of cars) but im going to put it all together then send it there. i asked them what it was goin to b and first they couldn't give me a straight answer, then finally they told me around and about so f it ill do it and just pay for the alignment. ( there crazy) Only reason i asked cause it's cold as s**t in nj right now, but whatever..... Yea man ill def post it up

Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
I asked about tires for my new wheels a bit ago. LightsOut answered Here.

Essentially. Stock wheels are 18x8 +30 (I had thought this was +33), New ones are 19x8.5 +20

I have checked several online calcs and all of them say the wheel will stick out more toward the outside of the car (Like adding spacers to my understanding)

http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp Says for front and rear:

"Package will stick out 25 mm (1'') farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset. "
"Package is 5 mm (0.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars. "

http://marksink.com/tire_wheel_offset/offset.html says:
The clearance from strut housing to the inside of the wheel will be 4mm MORE
The outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 16mm

Am I reading something wrong or is LightsOut wrong? I don't want to order $800+ worth of tires if its not gonna work on my car with these wheels so please help clarify the situation. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 AM
04 sedan spacer question

what are the biggest spacers i can put without rubbing?

i have 19x8 +42 wheels
245/40 tires
coilovers set to about a 2" drop
no camber kit

Old 02-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Will these offsets fit an 03 sedan?

19x8.5 offset 21 225/35/19

19x9.5 offset 23 235/35/19

Can i count on rolling the fenders?

Old 02-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
^ You're going to be rolling your fenders and running some negative camber unless you're at stock height.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
If you run the stock wheels equipped with tpms and add spacers to the wheels, does the tpms still function or do the spacers interfere with the sensor? Did a search on this but didn't find anything.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
How would the spacer effect the TPMS?

No it doesn't.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
TPMS is a radio frequency. It's not affected by the spacers. It doesn't work like ABS where there is a sensor and reluctor wheel. The sensor sends a little radio type signal to a receiver on the car.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey thanks GAU-8, I didn't know the TPMS worked that way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: Have a Question/s About Wheels/Tires/Offsets/Camber/Etc? Ask here::