Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Quick question about Spacers.... why exactly are they dangerous?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about Spacers.... why exactly are they dangerous?

I want to get my story straight (I did a search, but the polls and the responses weren't completely to my understanding)...

So I have a 44 offset on my 11'' rears right now, bad! I want to put on a 5mm hubcentric spacer which will punch it down to 39...

WHat dangers lie in this? Is it because there will be LESS length on the hub stems for the lug nuts to wrap down to?

What it ultimately comes down to is this... is 5mm small enough to not make a big "safety issue" difference? Thanks!

Last edited by dennis_said; 06-09-2005 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No, I have had H&R 5mm spacers on my sedan now for over a year with no problems. I installed the longer lugs myself, and the wheel still sits on the hub.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure why you think +44 is bad on a 11".

Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 PM
there are a few philosophies why a spacer is not necassarily bad but not favorable. Obviously you want the wheel to mount directly onto the hub and have a direct mechanical connection - that's the way wheels are designed to work - that's the way it should be.

Some argue using a spacer transfers the forces of the wheels directly onto the wheel studs (when it is supposed to be absorbed a majority onto the hub) - but if you run a hub and wheel centric spacer (like the H&R mentioned above or get one made) in concept, this theory is still valid, but nothing to worry about.

My belief is that by transfering the rotating weight further from the originally designed point of contact - you will wear the bearings a little quicker. However, we all know that wheel bearings last forever and when I say wear quicker - I really mean they will last 500,000 miles instead of the 600,000 miles they may last without spacers. I don't plan on keeping my car that long.

I'm running a 7mm spacer with the 50mm wheel studs in the front - wheel and hub centric, no problems. Know a bunch of people running spacers, no problems. All in all, it is not the perfect situation, but if you do it right I don't think there are many real world implications. . .

Old 06-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey Kenchan, it's because I'm thinking about dropping, and it'd just eat up my wheel =)

Would I need to upgrade to longer studs w/ the spacers? Can I stick w/ my stock studs?

Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
No, def get the studs H&R sells a hubcentric kit (what I have). It comes with the spacers and the studs. Not hard to install if you have a puller.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:52 PM
i'm a little confused here.....are you experiencing rubbing??....is this going to push your rims out further or tuck them in??... the reason that i ask is that i only have 10'' rims and they rub in the back when i hit bumps cause they stick out a little bit...it's tearing my tires up and i'm thinking about getting my fenders rolled....but this seems like a more viable option if it does what i think it does...TIA

Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 PM
So, hubcentric spacer w/o the stud upgrade = BIG NO NO?

Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 AM
eat up your wheels on the fender side or the shock side?

If you can get 7 revs on your lug typically you're okay with
stock studs unless you plan to track the car...but since we're
talking about a wide wheel for your rear, i recommend
you get longer studs

Originally Posted by dennis_said
Hey Kenchan, it's because I'm thinking about dropping, and it'd just eat up my wheel =)

Would I need to upgrade to longer studs w/ the spacers? Can I stick w/ my stock studs?

Old 06-10-2005, 02:19 AM
Hey Ken, I'm thinking about it eating up my rim on the fender side.... purely an aesthetic standpoint for me...

How are the longer studs installed?

Old 06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
You need to remove the rear caliper/rotor, then install them from the rear. I used a series of washers, then put on a nut that fit the studs, and used my pneumatic gun to pull them through all the way. You should be able to do it with a wrench though. To get the old ones out, I used a puller with a plate of metal on the tip. Put the jaws around the rear of the hub, then put the center point with the metal plate on the end of the stud. Then I just tightened it up until they popped out.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 AM
dennis, you didn't answer any of my questions...................

Old 06-10-2005, 02:39 PM
When I changed my studs out, I just tapped the old studs out with a hammer from the front... It takes about 3 or 4 good "taps" and they pop right out... (make sure you leave at least 2 studs on so you have something to keep the hub from turning...) To install the new ones, I used a 1/2" drive socket as a spacer, then put a lug on and tightened it up with my ratchet... They pulled through with minimal effort... FWIW, I'm running 15mm spacers all around, I have 24,000 miles on them and not one problem... I have run spacers on 5 vehicles (Don't ask why), and most of my buddies run spacers as well... I don't know of anyone who's had issues with them... I'm almost starting to think it's an old wives tale...

Last edited by Risingsun124; 06-10-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Never enough
5mm spacer is no big deal, nothing to worry about. The reason why most get pics cause they have to use a spacer is because they've had custom wheels made. If you have a wheel made for your car it seems kind of odd to use a spacer.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:57 PM
If you're going to lower the car, you may or may not hit the fender.
You'll just have to try it and see.

Install is pretty easy...as above. I use a peice of wood over the
stud and use a 3lbs mallet. much easier.

Originally Posted by dennis_said
Hey Ken, I'm thinking about it eating up my rim on the fender side.... purely an aesthetic standpoint for me...

How are the longer studs installed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick question about Spacers.... why exactly are they dangerous?