Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

275's on OEM 19's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:46 AM
G's Up, Ho's Down
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice tires man... Where are the wheel sensors located? (for speedometer and odometer)

Old 11-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BocaCoupe
Nice tires man... Where are the wheel sensors located? (for speedometer and odometer)
Info is taken from the rear speed sensors. The is only a .3 MPH change at 60MPH with these tires. 60MPH = 60.3MPH.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by lowrider
I know I'm sprayin' in the wind here, but no body notices the tire bulge in the rears or that the outside of the tread is not contacting that pavement Look closely at the last picture in the second series. Also, look at the front tire, first picture in the third series, that one fits fine (no bulge, and proper contact patch). IMO, the rear is just not safe, and if you have a problem, you will get no help from the tire manufacturer. But, guys, it's your decision. YES, it fits, but certainly not properly.

Lou
Sorry Lou - but look at the 3rd set #2...really look at it! You can clearly see where the Armor All is and is not - and it's ONLY on the sidewall - not the overwipe on the tread -

Old 11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Lou - I really don't mean to seem like I'm bashing you on this - I really value other's opinions - that's what this board is about. But to put the things out there that you have, just gets me. I have literally built 100's of cars - for street and strip, and never had the problems or issues/concerns you have on this.

Can you give us some background for your claims, at least, not just 'opinion' based ones. The problem I have is that much of what is on this board is opinion-based - and usually that's good - and there are so many facts out there otherwise on many topics that make some threads useless. You are stating things as if they are facts, and they're not. I have the background to prove that, but I would like it of you could prove otherwise, if you can at least.

Also, if your concerns are actually your opinion, rather than documented facts, please let us know. I wouldn't want someone assuming safety and other issues based purely on opinion in this case.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
Lou - I really don't mean to seem like I'm bashing you on this - I really value other's opinions - that's what this board is about. But to put the things out there that you have, just gets me. I have literally built 100's of cars - for street and strip, and never had the problems or issues/concerns you have on this.

Can you give us some background for your claims, at least, not just 'opinion' based ones. The problem I have is that much of what is on this board is opinion-based - and usually that's good - and there are so many facts out there otherwise on many topics that make some threads useless. You are stating things as if they are facts, and they're not. I have the background to prove that, but I would like it of you could prove otherwise, if you can at least.

Also, if your concerns are actually your opinion, rather than documented facts, please let us know. I wouldn't want someone assuming safety and other issues based purely on opinion in this case.

Thanks!
Gentlemen

After this post, I will respectfully bow out of this discussion. To answer a few of the questions you raised.

My qualifications - I have been an auto enthusiast and car buff all my life. BTW, I'm 67 years old. When I was in my early 30s I had a part time job managing a Firestone Store on weekends. I was there at the birth of High Performance Tires, Wide Ovals, Speed Ratings, Low Aspect Ratios, Bias Ply Belted, Radials, Steel belts, you name it I've seen it. Done my homework, and still doing it.

Wheels - Do I own aftermarket, wide wheels? Yep, I do. I have a set of Nismos, 18" - 8.5" front and 9.5" rear, running 245/40/18 and 275/40/18. Did I waste my money on these. IMO, Nope. My Dunlops fit perfectly, and I'm very happy with the handling of my Coupe.

Do I have experience with your set-up, No I don't, but from my experiences I recognize tire bulge when I see it. And, Fella, you have it. It may not pose a problem to you now, but it is a risk. The tire and automobile companies spend a lot of money making sure the tires and wheels they provide and recommend will work for the consumer. Some times they get it wrong as Ford and Firestone did.

But, No Auto or Tire company recommends or uses a 275 wide tire with an aspect ratio of 35 on any wheel less than 9". 8.5" is close, but no cigar. BTW, the optimum width is 9.5". The range is from 9" to 11".

As I said you probably wont have any issues, other than uneven wear in the center, but probably is not good enough for me. On an aggressive maneuver, you may very well spin that tire off the wheel, it may happen, but probably wont. But again, probably is not good enough for me, my safety, and the safety of others around me is more important than trying to get the "look" by squeezing a wide tire on a too narrow wheel. Don't get me wrong here, I am a maverick, and love making non recommended things work, but when safety is involved, I don't take chances.

As I said I will not contribute to this thread any longer, you don't want to hear what I have to say. So good luck to you, and may God bless you - You may need it.

Lou

Old 11-22-2005, 09:09 AM
So I guess a 275/40/19 would work too?

Old 11-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Im tempted to try a 285/35/19 because I will be putting this on a new 19" rim that is wider than stock. Wil this fit. It looks like it will from the pics especially with that 35 profile.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I would check out the tire calculators earlier in the thread an verify overall diameter, height, etc. You'll want to make sure that the front tires are not taller than the rears...I had given thought to 295/35's but knew that was pushing it a bit too much in the plus sizing arena.

The 40's will be taller - and if you have wider rims, then wider tires could be put on as well - just watch for the wheel wells and suspension parts that may come into play when going wider and taller.

Last edited by ISMSOLUTIONS; 11-22-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 AM
just watch for the wheel wells and suspension parts that may come into play when going wider and taller.
I'm assuming you had no clearance issues with the 275s out back?

Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I was trying to ind some that actually did it with the 285/35 or 295/35 because my girl wont let me roll her fenders.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
i have a few customers w/ 305/30/20 in the rear w/ no clearance issues. as for the 19s i've seen 275 work with no problems.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by seanl
I'm assuming you had no clearance issues with the 275s out back?
Correct - clearance is not an issue...

Old 11-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd like to put all seasons on my stock 05 6MT Coupe 19 inch rims.
Would a set up involving 245/40/R19 on the front and 255/40/R19 on the rears work ? I want to go with Pilot Sports A/S and this seems like the most viable combination without decreasing overall tire diameter.
I'd appreciate any input you have.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by alletMT
I'd like to put all seasons on my stock 05 6MT Coupe 19 inch rims.
Would a set up involving 245/40/R19 on the front and 255/40/R19 on the rears work ? I want to go with Pilot Sports A/S and this seems like the most viable combination without decreasing overall tire diameter.
I'd appreciate any input you have.
No...front tires would be too tall...Look at the calculator I posted and you'll see...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 275's on OEM 19's?