Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

275's on OEM 19's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clinty
Don't mean to drag you back in but the last picture in the third series shows a tire that does not have full contact across its width. And the 4th picture in the 2nd series shows a side wall that is rolled to the tire centre so much that the edge of the tread is lifted off the ground!

Maybe this provides extra tread on the side wall for cornering. Comes in handy when the whole car and wheel rolls over the contact patch.
Tire contact corrections were made the next day after the tires were put on - camber adjustments make a difference when they are needed.

Not sure what your seeing on the 4th pic in the 2nd though...either way - it's different now...

Old 01-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
All -

Take a look at this tire size comparison calculator
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

You can also change view options to show what the two tire sizes look like next to each other...this should answer your questions.

If you realize that changing rear tires from the 245/40 to 275/35 changes the actual tire dynamic by 1/2 of 1% - and you'll get a bout 1" more width of tire on the factory rims - you won't be sacrificing your life for the upgrade - lets get realistic here. You'll get more rubber on the ground - bottom line - and that is the purpose.

If you change the tire to a 295 - then the edges will begin to round out and the tire will not be as flat, negating the reason for the change. Remember your talking about gaining about a 1/2" on either side of the wheel, and at the same time, reducing the sidewall height as well.

When you look at the calculations and pictures - you'll realize quickly that the 275's are the way to go as the diameter and overall height is actually lower than stock...the width is the only real change.

I used to own a tire shop - trust me - tire mods are one of the biggest businesses out there. Tire swaps for plus size tires - up to 3 steps is so common - the argument is a waste of time. Manufacturers will not void a warranty because you installed a tire that is recommended to be on a 9" wide wheel and you put it on an 8.5" wheel. They will void it when you melt the rubber and then complain - track your car and align it so that it performs better on the track vs. wear better on the street and then complain about wear.

If you get in an accident - because of your tires, which has in history only happened to Bridgstone in large scale - under special circumstances as well - you'll have a pretty hard time proving it. You'd have to prove all ideal conditions were in place - road, speed, weather and how your were driving - a less than 1% increase in tire size wouldn't cause that to happen.

The manufacturer and dealer will look at wear to decide its warranted status. Melted and uneven wear void warranties. Bubbles and separations and road hazard are all covered. The issues where tire size can void a warranty, is when you take a tire that is TOO SMALL and force it on a wheel that is TOO LARGE. This compromises sidewall integrity and belt alignment - therefore voiding warranty.

I personally love the Bridgstones the car came with - but I have ordered my 245 and 275 upgrades in Michelin SP2's. I have never been a Bridgstone man - and a quieter ride with more traction, hence the Michelin, is what I'm after. Goodyear and Pirelli are also great choices - Michelin has the best warranty coverage and tire wear ratings though.

If you also check out TireRack.com - you can specify your car and have it recommend plus tire sizes - guess what you get - from one of the most recognized tire dealer associations? See the pic.

Attachment 26942 Attachment 26943
Actually, you won't be any more rubber on the ground. Your contact area will stay the same, but the contact patch shape will change. That is unless you change your tire pressures. Same weight, same pressure, same area (to first order). It is the increased lateral stiffness of this wider, shorter patch that gives the general handling performance benefit.

Last edited by MechEE; 01-05-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 AM
nt2
How about 255/35/19s up front, the new BMW 330 has 18X8 wheels all around and comes with 255/35/18s, wouldn't 245/35/19 be a bit too low and harsh when going over RR tracks and poorly paved roads?
I figured if I go 30 mm wider in the back, I could also go 30 mm wider in the front.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Oooh! Oooh! Can I add to the fire?

I want to fit 365/25 on the front and 145/65 on the rear using the stock 19" rims. Can I do it and still be safe? I want to be unique.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
^^

i think you missed the point of the thread with a statement like that

Old 01-11-2006, 10:05 PM
For all of you with the different tire dimension setup:

Have you had ANY issues concerning ABS and VDC? If not, how does the computer system take the measurements? Is it by individual wheel? Does it measure MPH of the tire or rotations? How much play to you have? I've read that 3% is the rule of thumb.

I desperately need to be put new shoes on mine and want to go with A/S and same size all round that way I can rotate the tires to get better wear. I want to go with 245/40/19s all around and I realize that the fronts are a wee bit taller, just under 3/4" but still under the 3& rule, but other than a slight height increase in the front, is this going to affect the ABS, VDC, and cause any rubbing?

I need to get tires fast so you're prompt replies would be most appreciated. I've done all the calculations using a tire calculator as well.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
bump!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:58 PM
What's wrong, if anything, with going to the following setup, using the stock ('06) 19" coupe wheels...

Front - 245/40ZR19 (+2.36% over stock)

Rear - 275/40ZR19 (+3.44% over stock)

The apparent overall differential between the above staggered sizes is 1.08%.

If you look at the stock sizes (225/40R19 and 245/40R19) the differential is 2.36%.

The apparent overall difference as percieved by the vehicle dymanics will only be 1.28%... or will it..?

For the sake of argument, let us assume that the C/G remains constant. Other variables will come into play (actual availability of specific sizes, etc.), and are worth mentioning but don't rely on them as sole rationale.

Feel free to offer alternatives; please atriculate.

Percentages/differentials were drawn from the Tire Size Calculator at www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp . Your thoughts are welcome.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I couldn't be happier - STILL - 275/35 and 245/35..the way to go...Rick

Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just ordered 9.5 front and 10.5 rear 19inch rims Volks SF challenge...but i havent chosen tire size.... has anyone run 255-35- front and 285-35 rear? on BFG KDW's any imput ..... i want wide....... wide.... stock ride height too....

Old 01-27-2006, 08:46 PM
here's a small related question.

can you scale tire width to rim width linearly?

my old honda accord has 5.5" wide wheels and comes with 195mm wide tires from the factory.
increasing the by 3", or 76.2mm gives you an 8.5" wide wheel.

Adding 3" or 76.2mm to a 195mm width of a tire gives 271.2mm, close to 275 that's being discussed here on the 19x8.5" G35 wheels.

Is it correct to scale the tire/wheel widths linearly?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 PM
That's reasonable I would think. The tires can probably be up a to a fixed amt. wider than the rim. It could be somewhat related to the overall width but I can't think of a reason it would be be substantially different.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by MechEE
Actually, you won't be any more rubber on the ground. Your contact area will stay the same, but the contact patch shape will change. That is unless you change your tire pressures. Same weight, same pressure, same area (to first order). It is the increased lateral stiffness of this wider, shorter patch that gives the general handling performance benefit.
Sorry - The patch on my tires is about 1 1/4" larger/wider. After 5400 miles on them already - they wear perfectly - no issues - still extremely quiet - one of the best decisions I've made on this car.

BTW - see you in the next day or so Mech....

Old 01-28-2006, 02:41 PM
If you want wider rubber, try this.

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires/83359-widened-stock-rims-10-5in.html

Much better than squeezing the larger tire on a too narrow rim.

Lou

Old 01-28-2006, 04:35 PM
^ One problem, it would be a bigger risk to mess with the structural integrity of a forged wheel than to run a lager tire on a smaller rim. However, on a cast wheel that would def. be better BUT keep in mind… the original question was about the OEM 19's which are forged.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 275's on OEM 19's?