Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I found the navscreen replacement I've been looking for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I think I found the navscreen replacement I've been looking for

The soon-to-be-released ($99!) Amazon Fire HD 6.

Dimensions look to be nearly perfect to fit in the navsceen location:
Fire HD dimensions:
Width - 16.9cm
Height - 10.3cm
Depth - 1.07 cm

Factory navscreen dimensions:
Width - 17cm
Height - 10.5cm
Depth - 3cm

There's going to be some extra depth to fill, but for height and width, you're looking at some simple felt tape to snug that thing in. I'll have to make a hole in the metal nav screen bracket for the USB to be permanently connected to the side, and it looks thin enough that it can sit ahead of the screws on the side, so I doubt they'll need to be ground down at all.

Now I'm a bit concerned that there's no mention of GPS in the unit, but there are bluetooth GPS units that might work to fill that gap.

The following users liked this post:
Henry Els (10-12-2019)
Old 09-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The soon-to-be-released ($99!) Amazon Fire HD 6.

Dimensions look to be nearly perfect to fit in the navsceen location:
Fire HD dimensions:
Width - 16.9cm
Height - 10.3cm
Depth - 1.07 cm

Factory navscreen dimensions:
Width - 17cm
Height - 10.5cm
Depth - 3cm

There's going to be some extra depth to fill, but for height and width, you're looking at some simple felt tape to snug that thing in. I'll have to make a hole in the metal nav screen bracket for the USB to be permanently connected to the side, and it looks thin enough that it can sit ahead of the screws on the side, so I doubt they'll need to be ground down at all.

Now I'm a bit concerned that there's no mention of GPS in the unit, but there are bluetooth GPS units that might work to fill that gap.
Did you remove your nav screen or just add the mechanism?? I want to add a screen and would much rather just buy the mechanism vs a double din kit.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by eswift1983
Did you remove your nav screen or just add the mechanism?? I want to add a screen and would much rather just buy the mechanism vs a double din kit.
Yeah, I've had the navscreen out for a while, did a how-to on the procedure - https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ment-info.html

You can add the mechanism, all it really needs is the switched power and constant power that runs the radio, detailed in this post from that same thread.

The following users liked this post:
ron4row2 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Very cool find. Nice to see your still looking forward on this platform.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Very cool find. Nice to see your still looking forward on this platform.
Yeah, I was looking for a 6" tablet forever, but the only thing that came close was the prohibitively expensive Samsung Galaxy Note. $99 is almost as cheap as you can find a 7" monitor. The lack of GPS is kind of annoying though, as an external bluetooth receiver like this Dual Electronics XGPS501A is almost as expensive as the tablet.

If I can just remote control and view a phone from the Fire HD6, that would be enough, since I know my phone can do all the navigation and audio streaming just fine, but I'd rather the larger screen and permanent mounting to putting my phone in the nav screen box like I'm currently doing.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I've been using the appradio as the main music screen and the phone landscape in the ash tray as a secondary. Would be nice to have a perms second screen for navi alone.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I've been using the appradio as the main music screen and the phone landscape in the ash tray as a secondary. Would be nice to have a perms second screen for navi alone.
The appradio just has some limitations I don't like (though the Fire HD might have some too) and the price on this is great.

And looks like there's apps for sharing my phone's GPS with a non-gps device over the same wifi (or bluetooth) I'd be tethering with for streaming audio and such in the first place:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.tgps&hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...randroid&hl=en

DOMO

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thing you brought this up. I like my setup, but I hate the fact I have to boot my android mini pc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Inch-Ultra...item3cdd4928c6

The dimensions are a just a hair bigger on the width, but should work.

17.2cm x 10.8cm x 1.2 cm

I was going to jump on this, but I'll probably wait on the fire. There's plenty of GPS antennae. I paired it with an app (think it's called You Are Here?) and it worked decently well. My concern on the fire is the USB cord and the 3.5mm. They sit on the side, and with the width on it, I don't know how you'll get it to fit. Shaving down the plastic on the cords themselves, along with a 90 degree bend may do the trick, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by ihiryu; 09-22-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Appradio extensions hasn't worked since iOS 5, which is something that should be a necessary component. It's accessed through the jail break.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ihiryu
Good thing you brought this up. I like my setup, but I hate the fact I have to boot my android mini pc.

17.2cm x 10.8cm x 1.2 cm

I was going to jump on this, but I'll probably wait on the fire. There's plenty of GPS antennae. I paired it with an app (think it's called You Are Here?) and it worked decently well. My concern on the fire is the USB cord and the 3.5mm. They sit on the side, and with the width on it, I don't know how you'll get it to fit. Shaving down the plastic on the cords themselves, along with a 90 degree bend may do the trick, but I'm not sure.
If you plan to never take the tablet out, then go ahead and hardwire it. Open up the tablet, take off the USB and 3.5 connectors and solder the lines straight to the connections.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:07 PM
I thought about that too, but I'm no good at soldering ha ha.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

17.2cm x 10.8cm x 1.2 cm

The power cord isn't terribly hard, and I plan on doing bluetooth for audio streaming, rather than use the 3.5mm, since I will be keeping my aftermarket radio. The power button might have to get some minor soldering to relocate. I'd really like to have a small roller integrated such that the power button is pressed as the screen rises.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Why do that? Why not just use Tasker/Llama and use it to sleep with power off, and wake on power on.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
subscribed

Old 09-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Why do that? Why not just use Tasker/Llama and use it to sleep with power off, and wake on power on.
Good idea, as the button would just be doing essentially the same thing. But I'll still need a way to manually power it on and off though, for vacations and stuff.

So current plan:
Use existing phone for wireless data and as the GPS source.
Double-check the output from the "screen is up" signal, which is listed in the manual as being +5v, but no idea if it gives enough milliamps to keep the tablet fully powered. If not enough power, just use a 12v to 5v USB adapter from the switched power supply.
Use tasker to turn the thing on and off with power.
Cut a slot in the metal screen bracket to fit a 90 degree angle USB power cable - or solder the power directly.
Pair the tablet via bluetooth to the existing aftermarket headunit for audio.

Total cost looks to be about $120, covering a tablet, tasker app, 12v to usb charger, and 90 degree usb cable.

If you don't already have an aftermarket headunit, I suppose you could work a 3.5mm connection in there to any of the auxiliary input options.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 09-22-2014 at 09:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I found the navscreen replacement I've been looking for