G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35x tpms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x tpms

Hey everyone,

So about 3 weeks ago I swapped on my snow tires which are on steelies. These winter tires came with the car which I bought earlier this year. The previous owner of the vehicle + snow tires did not get back to me yet to see if they had installed TPMS on the steelies.

So today, My TPMS light turned on while driving. I would have assumed the light would have turned on after a few KM's of driving on the snow tires (which might not have sensors in them). It decides to turn on after 500 KM's of driving is what is throwing me off. I had checked the pressures of all 4 tires when they were cold and they were fine.

Do I have to worry about anything? Would the light turn back off when I swap back into my summer tires(these have the TPMS)?

06 G35X

EDIT: How often does the ECU check the TPMS?

Last edited by MrGaryZ; 12-13-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: New question
Old 12-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by MrGaryZ
Hey everyone,

So about 3 weeks ago I swapped on my snow tires which are on steelies. These winter tires came with the car which I bought earlier this year. The previous owner of the vehicle + snow tires did not get back to me yet to see if they had installed TPMS on the steelies.

So today, My TPMS light turned on while driving. I would have assumed the light would have turned on after a few KM's of driving on the snow tires (which might not have sensors in them). It decides to turn on after 500 KM's of driving is what is throwing me off. I had checked the pressures of all 4 tires when they were cold and they were fine.

Do I have to worry about anything? Would the light turn back off when I swap back into my summer tires(these have the TPMS)?

06 G35X
TPMS sensors should be programmed correctly to each wheel as specified in the FSM.
TPMS sensors have a sealed non replaceable battery with a lifespan of 3-4 years
Driving with a TPMS light on is not smart. They were required because of so many accidents and deaths due to tire failure.
If you are ever involved in an accident and it is discovered upon investigation that you failed to install the proper sensors in your tires you could be held at fault and possibly sued.

Go get them fixed

Telcoman

Old 12-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
^^^^ http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/291546459016

Little bit of a lead time (2 weeks of so) but your best price for sure.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by telcoman
TPMS sensors should be programmed correctly to each wheel as specified in the FSM.
TPMS sensors have a sealed non replaceable battery with a lifespan of 3-4 years
Driving with a TPMS light on is not smart. They were required because of so many accidents and deaths due to tire failure.
If you are ever involved in an accident and it is discovered upon investigation that you failed to install the proper sensors in your tires you could be held at fault and possibly sued.

Go get them fixed

Telcoman
3-4 years hmm.. I ended up finding out that there the previous owner did not put in TPMS on the snow tires but the summer tires might be due soon if that is the case.

We don't have regulation in regards to mandatory TPMS installed in vehicles sold or imported into Canada. From what I have dug up, they don't have enough evidence to see a pattern in tire failure with accidents. :P

Would anyone happen to know how often your ECU checks the TPMS?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_TPMS

"Legal status
USA

The use of TPMS in vehicles in the USA was mandated in 2000 by the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act (or TREAD). This states that the driver of a vehicle must be warned of under inflation by 25%.[15] The warning is displayed to the driver in line with 49 CFR Part 571 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). The minimum requirement for the warning is in the form of a simple lit symbol on the dashboard, and this is often augmented by the display of a graphic of the car showing the wheel position to which the warning light corresponds. All new model year 2008 light vehicles shall have a TPMS (direct or indirect) fitted which is capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to all four tires, is 25% or more below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard, whichever is higher.[16]
EU and Far East

European Union (EU) and Far East legislators are looking at TPMS as a way of reducing CO2 emissions, and are presently (as at January 2009) considering compulsory tire pressure monitoring systems from this environmental stance.[17] Starting in November 2014 (ECE-R 64 EU Directive), all new models of passenger cars must be equipped, in E.U., with a TPMS."

Telcoman

Old 12-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_TPMS

"Legal status
USA

The use of TPMS in vehicles in the USA was mandated in 2000 by the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation Act (or TREAD). This states that the driver of a vehicle must be warned of under inflation by 25%.[15] The warning is displayed to the driver in line with 49 CFR Part 571 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). The minimum requirement for the warning is in the form of a simple lit symbol on the dashboard, and this is often augmented by the display of a graphic of the car showing the wheel position to which the warning light corresponds. All new model year 2008 light vehicles shall have a TPMS (direct or indirect) fitted which is capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to all four tires, is 25% or more below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard, whichever is higher.[16]
EU and Far East

European Union (EU) and Far East legislators are looking at TPMS as a way of reducing CO2 emissions, and are presently (as at January 2009) considering compulsory tire pressure monitoring systems from this environmental stance.[17] Starting in November 2014 (ECE-R 64 EU Directive), all new models of passenger cars must be equipped, in E.U., with a TPMS."

Telcoman

My bad, Should have made it more obvious that I am in Canada.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGaryZ
Would anyone happen to know how often your ECU checks the TPMS?
It doesn't. When you swap the original wheels back on, the TPMS system will detect them and the light should go off. This assumes the batteries in the transponders aren't dead. The system in the Early G35's is pretty primitive to be quite honest.

In the meantime, nothing is being hurt by driving your car with the TPMS light on, and people did manage to drive 100 years or so before they were made mandatory. Tire pressure gauges and a visual inspection of all 4 wheels prior to a drive are also an option.

My TPMS sensors have been dead for 2 years now. I was always proactive in checking my pressure with a gauge rather than waiting for the light to come on anyway.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
It doesn't. When you swap the original wheels back on, the TPMS system will detect them and the light should go off. This assumes the batteries in the transponders aren't dead. The system in the Early G35's is pretty primitive to be quite honest.

In the meantime, nothing is being hurt by driving your car with the TPMS light on, and people did manage to drive 100 years or so before they were made mandatory. Tire pressure gauges and a visual inspection of all 4 wheels prior to a drive are also an option.

My TPMS sensors have been dead for 2 years now. I was always proactive in checking my pressure with a gauge rather than waiting for the light to come on anyway.
Read my post #3

Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tpms in my 06 g35 is all over the place. Switched to some aftermarket wheels last winter, put the sensors in, but I drove a week on my summers without sensors and the light did not come on. Finally got around to putting the winters on and reset the system (I work at a tire shop) it said everything worked properly. Later that day the light came on. Reset and tried figuring out the problem multiple times but didn't work so decided to leave it and deal with the sensor light for the winter. Fast forward to couple weeks ago I bought new winter wheels and put the sensors in them and reset the system. Light didn't come on for 3 or 4 days. I've grown used to the light and I'm good when it comes to checking pressure so I'm just leaving it for now. Eventually I'll figure out if it's just my batteries being dead but still scanning with the tpms tool, some problem with the sensor not being able to transmit properly with the wheels I have on or if it's something else
Tl;dr tpms systems are a pain

Old 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Read my post #3
I planned to do that next tire change, but to be honest, not sure if i'll have the car that long.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I can understand that ^