G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Recently bought an '07 S, have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Recently bought an '07 S, have some questions

I recently picked up an '07 S auto with 104k miles. I had been looking at '10-'11s with 40-60k miles, but this one drove better than any others (and was about 50% of the cost of one of those), so I decided to take a chance. It has a full Infiniti dealer service history, including new steering wheel and door trim, and every recommended maintenance preformed. That part is good, but I do have some questions. I searched a bit, but couldn't find definitive answers.
My automatic takes around a second to engage from reverse to drive. Is this normal? It's not the 2-3 seconds that some people mention, but it's lags more than newer automatics. There's no way to check the fluid level, correct?

There's a delay when accelerating from a stop in "D". The engine is not hesitating, but there's a .5-1 second lag between rolling on the throttle and the car moving. I've unhooked the battery for an hour or so (removed an iPod adapter from the P/O), and I assume that reset everything. Anyway, is that lag normal?

(Searched a bit more, and read about this one. Never mind.) The 2-3 shift is usually harsher than others, especially at redline or in manual mode. Is this normal?

(Same here, searched and this seems normal) If I'm listening to the radio while the car is off for a while, and then start it, there's a quick "pop" from the speakers. Normal?

I may get splash guards, but everywhere I've seen online lists that they don't fit on Sports. Is there a unique p/n for Sport?
So far, I've replaced the plugs with the OE Densos, new air filters, had a PDR guy fix some dings, and changed the oil to Pennzoil Platinum. Fun car.

Thanks!

Last edited by EricF; 04-15-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Everything you mentioned I've experienced, except for the hesitation from reverse to drive.

The acceleration delay is a small issue with 07's and a few 08's. There was an ECU reflash released that fixed the issue in later 08 models.

2-3 shift is also always harsh with the AT. It's especially pronounced in the tiptronic. I find if you put in more gas during the shift you don't feel it.

The pop is also something I noticed. I think it's all of our V36 cars when you start from ACC or ON mode.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
You can check the fluid level. There are posts on how to check but essentially you unbolt (10mm) the dipstick (located behind the engine towards the passenger side) and check it when cold or hot (different markers on dipstick) and car running. I have drained/filled mine three times since I purchased 8 months ago so it can be done.

I had the ECU reflashed for the throttle response but mine car had a slight delay and then would take off abruptly (ie not a linear response). The reflash fixed it. Read up on it because some people actually prefer the original throttle response.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:34 AM
All of that is normal I get these things as well with my 07. Not so much with the 7 spd. in the G37, but I don't drive that one daily. I am going to look into the reflash as well. The auto transmission (07-08) in general is strong but not the smoothest by any stretch. Even on cold starts I find the transmission can be "not smooth". Once it warms up for a few mins tho its all good. I replaced my fluid about 20,000km ago and my mechanic said everything looked good.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all of the information. The car has had the ECU update, at least according to the Infiniti service records. It does get less laggy as it warms up though.

The transmission dipstick was right there out in the open... you think I would have noticed it. Oops. I need to check it with the proper procedure outlined in the FSM. Just pulling it out while warm or cold results in a way high level, so hopefully (and likely) that's just inaccurate. It had the 90k done at the dealer, which included transmission fluid. I believe it also had that done at 30k and 60k.

As far as the 7 speed in the G37 is concerned, I didn't like it as much. It does make the car slightly more efficient, but it hunted around a bit more than the 5 speed.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Ya with the 7 spd I find I loose track of what gear I am in because the ratios are closer and it is hard to feel out what gear you are in with your right foot. Also if its sunny good luck reading a dam thing on the instrument cluster (like gear number) with sun glasses on lol.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear35
You can check the fluid level. There are posts on how to check but essentially you unbolt (10mm) the dipstick (located behind the engine towards the passenger side) and check it when cold or hot (different markers on dipstick) and car running. I have drained/filled mine three times since I purchased 8 months ago so it can be done.

I had the ECU reflashed for the throttle response but mine car had a slight delay and then would take off abruptly (ie not a linear response). The reflash fixed it. Read up on it because some people actually prefer the original throttle response.
Can I ask where/how you had your ECU reflashed? My '07 G35 has a significant delay that has always bothered me. The one time I asked the dealer about it, they said nothing was wrong. Is reflashing a dealer operation or a speedshop operation?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM
The dealer did it. There is a TSB with the version that is listed here.

TSB post

The following users liked this post:
rkoolkin (02-10-2016)