Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I know I'm bringing back an old thread but I could use a little bit of guidance. I just purchased a 2006 G Coupe sport with bose, and want to add a little bit of bass. I have read the 41 pages here, and 13 pages in the sedan thread, but could still use some help since I have never hooked up a system to a stock unit before.

I am going to keep the stock HU, I am fine with running the power wire by the battery and along the running boards and so on. I will sand the paint in the area where I decide to ground my amp, and will run/splice my remote to the "light blue/ silver" wire going into the bose amp on the blue harness.

Help Part:
What I need help with is knowing if I need a LOC or not, I have one of 2 amps I can use, and a MTX crossover that can be used as a LOC if needed (everything is like 10 years old, but still sounded fine in my last vehicle).

This is what I have:
Alpine V12 MRV-F307 (amp)
- here are some pics found online and manual:
- http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products...M_MRV-F357.PDF
- http://www.hifi-pictures.net/base-ca...RV-F307/in.jpg
- http://www.hifi-pictures.net/base-ca...V-F307/out.jpg

Kenwood KAC-608S (amp)
- http://www.manualslib.com/manual/286...8s.html#manual
- http://bestamp.com/electronics/car_a...1f/kac608s.htm

MTX RT-X01A (crossover)
- http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...9200-Equalizer

I don't know if any of these units have balanced inputs that have been talked about here repeatedly (I don't know how to tell, and can't find what I am looking for in the manual). So I am not sure if I should cut up RCA's and splice them into the blue/pink + teal/purple (before the bose amp), then connect directly into one of my amps. OR if I should use the mtx crossover (as a LOC) and tap into some currently unknown wires after the bose amp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by xplosive1; 02-06-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
I have an 05 coupe with the bose and i just spliced a LOC into the blue plug i believe with all the colored wires you mentioned... works fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exactly would u like to know?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by g35SedanSC
What exactly would u like to know?
I would like to know if I need to use a LOC or not, based on one of the 2 amps I have listed? I don't know how to tell if the amps have balanced inputs or not. I listed the model, a few pictures, and a manual of the amps.

If I do need a LOC, do I tap into the wires going into the bose amp, or tap into the wires after the bose amp with a LOC. I will use my mtx crossover as a LOC, I think that should be sufficient?

Wrathernaut say's in post #610 that you connect the LOC after the bose amp. However, G35REVUP spliced the LOC before the bose amp and it works fine. (Thanks G35REVUP for the reply)

There is some contradicting information here, where some have used a LOC before the bose amp and some have used it after. Others have said that there is a low level signal going into the bose amp, and you can just splice RCA's before the bose amp and plug those RCA's into my amp (regardless of the amp having balanced inputs or not). I am just a little lost here.

I have set up a few systems once upon a time, however, I have never done so with a stock head unit, let alone a bose head unit.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by xplosive1
I would like to know if I need to use a LOC or not, based on one of the 2 amps I have listed? I don't know how to tell if the amps have balanced inputs or not. I listed the model, a few pictures, and a manual of the amps.

If I do need a LOC, do I tap into the wires going into the bose amp, or tap into the wires after the bose amp with a LOC. I will use my mtx crossover as a LOC, I think that should be sufficient?

Wrathernaut say's in post #610 that you connect the LOC after the bose amp. However, G35REVUP spliced the LOC before the bose amp and it works fine. (Thanks G35REVUP for the reply)

There is some contradicting information here, where some have used a LOC before the bose amp and some have used it after. Others have said that there is a low level signal going into the bose amp, and you can just splice RCA's before the bose amp and plug those RCA's into my amp (regardless of the amp having balanced inputs or not). I am just a little lost here.

I have set up a few systems once upon a time, however, I have never done so with a stock head unit, let alone a bose head unit.
Most amps don't take differential-balanced signals, you'll probably have to contact the manufacturer to know for sure, as it's a feature so rarely needed it's usually not on specs lists.

From best to worst:
If your amp takes balanced signals, use the pre-amp signal.
If your amp doesn't take balanced signals, get a LOC that converts from balanced to unbalanced and use the pre-amp signal.
If your amp doesn't take balanced signals, get a LOC and use the post-amp signal.
If your amp doesn't take balanced signals, and has speaker-level inputs use the post-amp signal.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks for your response. I will try to give one of these a try hopefully in the next week or so

Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM
i didnt have time to read the whole info since i am on my phone but i can say this.
my friend has a AM deck and i have my bose. i didnt use a lock i simply tapped in to the bose amp. and the quality beetween his and mine are no differenxe since we use the exact setup only thong that i have 2 12 abd he has one. i am quite happy with the bass setting from the stock HU the only thing i would do is probably have a equlizer on my speakers. the amp i am using is a kenwood 800w 2 channel

Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
another thing is i see ppl are sugfesting on lock after the bose amp... the problem is the bose amp has their *safety* after volume 23

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the help. I have successfully added a sub to my stock system. FYI, I ended up splicing RCA's into the appropriate wires before the amp, I did not use a LOC, and I am pretty sure my amp does not have balanced inputs. I used this set up to test the sound, I was then going to add a LOC if needed, however it sounds great so I have left it as is.

The only issue I find is that the subs are quite loud at a low volume, as if the subs are turning up at twice the pace of the regular speakers. At a higher volume, everything seems to be exactly where it should be. Anyhow, this worked great, thanks for the help. Now I need to figure out how to integrate an ipod without a wireless transmitter.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For the life of me i cant get the bottom cushion of my back seat to come out so i can run my power wire. Ive pulled up as hard as i could and they still wont budge. Any ideas on what im doing wrong or what else i can do?

Edit: Got it! Just yank the hell out of it

Last edited by MDH713; 02-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by MDH713
For the life of me i cant get the bottom cushion of my back seat to come out so i can run my power wire. Ive pulled up as hard as i could and they still wont budge. Any ideas on what im doing wrong or what else i can do?

Edit: Got it! Just yank the hell out of it
I hope you pulled he little black handles under the front edge before yanking the hell out of it.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
I hope you pulled he little black handles under the front edge before yanking the hell out of it.
No i Never seen any black handles under the front of the seat. I snapped everything back together and everything seemed like it went back into place.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 PM
is there a DIY on doing the subs and door speakers and a amp for a 04 coupe?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ajigga
is there a DIY on doing the subs and door speakers and a amp for a 04 coupe?
For non-bose?

Get the audio signal from the rear side speakers, run that signal through a LOC to your amp, power the amp with a power wire from the battery & proper grounds and hook your sub up to the amp.

The only real reason there's this one for bose is because there's the balanced audio signal and harness in the rear that complicates things. The non-bose cars install like 99.9% of all cars ever made.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
best set up I've found was to splice into the amp wires and tie in rca cables into that for your amp. sound quality is great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe