Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

a/c wont turn off and radio not working.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Upgrading to an aftermarket radio seems to be the only option. From what the '03 guys say, it's the radio that is the cause, and only way to fix it is to remove it.

As for me, it's still only done it that ONE time. So i guess if it happens infrequent i won't worry about it. I was debating getting a DD radio anyway

Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Upgrading to an aftermarket radio seems to be the only option. From what the '03 guys say, it's the radio that is the cause, and only way to fix it is to remove it.

As for me, it's still only done it that ONE time. So i guess if it happens infrequent i won't worry about it. I was debating getting a DD radio anyway
If it was the radio itself causing the problem shouldn't getting a new stock radio alleviate the problem? I've had the radio replaced twice now which leads me to believe it's something other than the radio. I definitely think it's an electrical problem, just not sure where.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
This has alot been happening to me alot. I just replaced the faceplate and the problem is still there. I heard that it could be the ribbon that connects the radio to the face plate but that is on the radio itself. My battery is also weak. I dont know if its the battery maybe not sending out enough power or if its just the radio that is bad. Has anyone else had the battery problem?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by wpr101
If it was the radio itself causing the problem shouldn't getting a new stock radio alleviate the problem? I've had the radio replaced twice now which leads me to believe it's something other than the radio. I definitely think it's an electrical problem, just not sure where.

It's something to do with the way the setup is wired. There have been lots of speculation, but from other threads I have searched and read up on, the consensus is that when you swap to a doubledin radio setup using the JDM DD faceplate the problem disappears completely.

One day I may go DD myself, but the issue has only happened to me ONE time so I am not all that concerned for the moment.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by MI SO FST
This has alot been happening to me alot. I just replaced the faceplate and the problem is still there. I heard that it could be the ribbon that connects the radio to the face plate but that is on the radio itself. My battery is also weak. I dont know if its the battery maybe not sending out enough power or if its just the radio that is bad. Has anyone else had the battery problem?
Yea, when I first started getting the radio problem it was also in conjunction with a battery problem. Whenever I would leave my car sitting for over three days the battery would be dead. I had the battery replaced a few times and was still having an issue for awhile. I haven't had the battery have an issue recently and the radio problem has decreased in frequency. I think it does have something to do with the battery and the radio but I'm not exactly sure how.

It has been a very frustrating problem. When I would tell my dealership about it they just assumed I was an idiot who always left my lights on and that's why the battery died. Plus they told me they have never heard of this problem ever, even when they consulted with head quarters. It's all a bunch of BS, cause I come on here and there's multiple people with either the same or similar problem.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
More than likely, the battery drain is a result and not the cause. So your battery issues are more likely a side effect than the initial cause.

Just to clarify, the issue seems ot be mainly centered around a control board in the center console that controls both the radio and A/C unit. It "shorts" or another problem develops (overheating, etc) and you get the symptoms you are expeirencing.

The reason an aftermarket radio fixes the issue is because the JDM kit includes a new separate A/C controller board that is not integrated into the stereo setup. So basically you are cutting out the cancer, the radio, which is the problem issue here.

Downside is the cost of the JDM DD setup alone, which is $300-500 just for the faceplate and a/c controller board and i beleive some modification needs to be made if you have DUAL climate control.

Just what i've learned through several days of researching this after it happened to me.

This thread may help as well

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ontroller.html

Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollingrocksrol
Hi...I finally did my much enticipated DD installation but unfortunately the temp is stuck at 70 and temp up and down button wont work anymore.
i'm in the same boat. i didn't do the installation myself, but i'm not sure that a new a/c controller was installed (as i've seen many on here recommend this needs to be included), so maybe that's it?

i'm pretty much a car audio novice, so any help you anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks goodness I wasn't the only one....

I guess it's finally time to get that double-din setup I've been thinking about..

Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM
My battery is very weak at the moment. It has been this way for about 2 months but getting weaker as the time goes by. I noticed that just last week my radio stopped playing altogether. I can see the radio display but no sound comes from the speakers. My A/C controls work just fine for now.

I am planning on changing my head unit next week. I already bought the A/C control kit for the aftermarket radio. I plan on getting a new battery and changing my head unit next week. We will see how this goes!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by zeus
i'm in the same boat. i didn't do the installation myself, but i'm not sure that a new a/c controller was installed (as i've seen many on here recommend this needs to be included), so maybe that's it?

i'm pretty much a car audio novice, so any help you anyone could provide would be appreciated.
this happened to me as well -- here's the problem:

the AC controller is fried -- does the air point to the feet on the driver's side and the air flow is very low, right?

Yeah, i had to have another A/C controller overnighted to me from Grubbs Infiniti for $250 --

My problem was that I did NOT disconnect the negative terminal from the battery when i was connecting and disconnecting the A/C controller .. it is EASILY fried .. beware.

Hope this helps

PM if you have q's

Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
It seems I'll have to tough up cash for the DD and A/C unit. I'm not having any luck finding either item, anyone have any "in stock" sources? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh and yes, my battery was also getting weaker and weaker. I replaced it before it really went dead.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
had the same problem all it was a blown fuse for the radio

Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
this is a very common problem... almost as common as the 6-disc changer jamming. just call up a local mobile audio repair guy, it's like $300 to fix it and takes about a week. just got me & my Wife's factory setups fixed.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by zeus

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
this happened to me as well -- here's the problem:

the AC controller is fried -- does the air point to the feet on the driver's side and the air flow is very low, right?

Yeah, i had to have another A/C controller overnighted to me from Grubbs Infiniti for $250 --

My problem was that I did NOT disconnect the negative terminal from the battery when i was connecting and disconnecting the A/C controller .. it is EASILY fried .. beware.

Hope this helps

PM if you have q's
actually what it ended up being, there was a tab or something that the guy who installed the dd forgot to remove. once he took care of that everything worked fine.

so to recap. i had the a/c problem that some have mentioned here. it would get stuck on the last temp setting i had and the radio would shut off. initially this would happen randomly and for only a few seconds, but it got to the point where it would happen more frequent and last longer. also related to this my battery would drain if the car would sit longer than a day...initially it would be if it sat a few days but again it just got worse.

the reason i figured out it was the radio because my mechanic looked at the problem and said i had a "short" with my radio.

anyway, based on the advice here i went ahead and got a new radio along with the dd (the a/c controller is part of the dd) and have not ANY of these problems since. i was very nervous when i had to take my first 2 day business trip, but when i got back the car started back up just fine, no drag at all.

so my advice would be to do what i did if anyone is having the problems i described. all together i paid about $500, but obviously that's going be dependent on the type of radio you end up getting. i do miss having the changer but the radio i have now has an ipod hook up which is better anyway.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
same problem yesterday on an 06 g35x...what the hell???? You figure they'd have recalled this for an 06 like 2 years ago!!! Taking it to the dealership on monday to see if they know the actual problem...if nothing works, i already have the JDM DD and dual climate unit, so i'll install that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: a/c wont turn off and radio not working.