Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

JL 450/4 or 300/4 for DLS Iridium 6.3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
JL 450/4 or 300/4 for DLS Iridium 6.3?

Just wondering if anyone knows which amp is best suited to pair up to DLS Iridium 6.3? Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G'duprideR6
Just wondering if anyone knows which amp is best suited to pair up to DLS Iridium 6.3? Thanks
Well, DLS recommends 100 watts RMS so I would say the 300/4 probably would be just about right. You may get a little bit more out of the 450, but probably not that much.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the sound quality of the DLS will blow that jl outa the water

Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by darrick
lol
darrick what are you talking about?

Basically it looks like you're choosing between
a: 150w x 2, 75w x 2
b: 75 x 4

Since that particular set uses 2 separate crossovers (one for the mid, one shared between the midbass/tweet) then it actually might make sense to do the 300/4 instead of a 450/4 only because you want to keep the proportions right. I believe they do that because you typically lose the mid on a 3-way set due to the way the power is divided when the mid/tweet share a channel and the midbass has its own channel.

It wouldn't be good to give the mid twice as much power as the midbass/tweet or vice versa... though they could certainly handle the power just fine, the 450/4 wouldn't fit well with that particular setup.

So there you go. Make sure you have someone that really knows their stuff install/aim/tune those for you, it is very important with such a picky set.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by darrick

Anyhow, the 300/4 will be fine, especially if you went with an active crossover, but I'm assuming you're going to be using the passives they come with. It doesn't hurt to have a little headroom so the 450/4 would be fine, however, you will need a 2nd amp if you want to power all the speakers off an amp, otherwise, it would be a waste buying just one amp.

It's the 3 way set, thus it has a midbass, midrange, and tweeter (2 drivers for each), thus 6 channels in total that will be needed. Either get a 6 channel amp (yes there are some, a/d/s/ even made an 8 channel) or buy one 4 channel and one 2 channel, or buy two 4 channels and bridge the midbass on one of the 4 channels.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lancer
lol
darrick what are you talking about?

Basically it looks like you're choosing between
a: 150w x 2, 75w x 2
b: 75 x 4

Since that particular set uses 2 separate crossovers (one for the mid, one shared between the midbass/tweet) then it actually might make sense to do the 300/4 instead of a 450/4 only because you want to keep the proportions right. I believe they do that because you typically lose the mid on a 3-way set due to the way the power is divided when the mid/tweet share a channel and the midbass has its own channel.

It wouldn't be good to give the mid twice as much power as the midbass/tweet or vice versa... though they could certainly handle the power just fine, the 450/4 wouldn't fit well with that particular setup.

So there you go. Make sure you have someone that really knows their stuff install/aim/tune those for you, it is very important with such a picky set.
sorry i must be smoking tonight .

Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by donpisto

Anyhow, the 300/4 will be fine, especially if you went with an active crossover, but I'm assuming you're going to be using the passives they come with. It doesn't hurt to have a little headroom so the 450/4 would be fine, however, you will need a 2nd amp if you want to power all the speakers off an amp, otherwise, it would be a waste buying just one amp.

It's the 3 way set, thus it has a midbass, midrange, and tweeter (2 drivers for each), thus 6 channels in total that will be needed. Either get a 6 channel amp (yes there are some, a/d/s/ even made an 8 channel) or buy one 4 channel and one 2 channel, or buy two 4 channels and bridge the midbass on one of the 4 channels.
what I'm saying though is that you actually *couldn't* do an appropriate setup with the 450/4 using the supplied passive crossovers, nor could you do an active setup with the 450, since you don't have enough (6) channels.
With the first scenario, you'd end up with really goofy power distribution since the midbass and tweeter are on the same crossover, and the midrange is on its own. Probably wouldn't be the best idea.

I used to run a 3-way setup similar to this one (albeit with Vifa tweets and Morel 3" mids, Morel 8" midbasses) and I went with a 300/2 for the midbasses, 300/4 for the mids/tweets, all active crossovers.

You wouldn't be able to do an active XO setup with the 300/4 either, since (again), not enough channels. I've heard a 2-way set of the DLS before and from what people have told me about the other sets is that there's no reason in trying to replace what these guys have engineered so well.

All that to say, either go with the 300/4 to use the supplied passive crossovers, or if you are crazy, pick up a 300/4 and 300/2 and go with all active crossovers. Have fun tuning that

Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Ah, I forgot that you can't bridge the JL 4 channel amps due to channels 3 and 4 having different power outputs. That's kinda stupid, but kinda beneficial. Personally I wouldn't want it, but it makes sense since the tweeters don't need much power.

However, if the OP went another route and decided to get two 4 channel amps, it would work, and that was the thought process I was taking. I personally wouldn't, unless the 4 channel is cheaper than the 2 channel.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by donpisto
Ah, I forgot that you can't bridge the JL 4 channel amps due to channels 3 and 4 having different power outputs. That's kinda stupid, but kinda beneficial. Personally I wouldn't want it, but it makes sense since the tweeters don't need much power.

However, if the OP went another route and decided to get two 4 channel amps, it would work, and that was the thought process I was taking. I personally wouldn't, unless the 4 channel is cheaper than the 2 channel.
I wouldn't call the 450/4 "kinda stupid" -- it's intended for people powering fronts and rears with one amp, giving the fronts twice as much power as the rears. (Good idea.)
This also works well on 2-way setups, putting more power on the mids than the tweets.

Going with a pair of 4 channel amps (8 channels) would mean you would have to bridge one of them, essentially giving you a 4 channel amp and a 2 channel amp-- why not just buy a 2 channel to begin with?

In the case of the JL amps, the 300/2 ends up being a lot cheaper than the 300/4, which is nice.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by lancer
I wouldn't call the 450/4 "kinda stupid" -- it's intended for people powering fronts and rears with one amp, giving the fronts twice as much power as the rears. (Good idea.)
This also works well on 2-way setups, putting more power on the mids than the tweets.

Going with a pair of 4 channel amps (8 channels) would mean you would have to bridge one of them, essentially giving you a 4 channel amp and a 2 channel amp-- why not just buy a 2 channel to begin with?

In the case of the JL amps, the 300/2 ends up being a lot cheaper than the 300/4, which is nice.
I meant for my needs it would be stupid (I plan on running a 3 way active setup). But correct, for a 2 way setup it's just fine....and yes, I agreed that two 4 channel amps would not be the best way to go with the JL amps. If it were some other amps, it might be a route to consider, but there are factors that would determine whether a 2 or 4 channel is needed.