Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New DDIN Install - Gone Bad

Should have kept an eye on the installer. Arrived after he pulled out the blue ANT wire from the harness. Said it wasnlt necessary. So looks like I will remove the deck and do it myself. Also need to set the deck in properly so that it is flush. Sticks out 1/2 inch and bumps the shifter when opened for SD or disc.

Is it possible to removed the deck, wire back up the heater controls and the other harnesses that are not "deck related" and drive the car without the deck in while I fix the harness? Don't want the car computer to be confused.

Thanks, Mike
2006 G35 Coupe

Old 12-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by msilverton
Should have kept an eye on the installer. Arrived after he pulled out the blue ANT wire from the harness. Said it wasnlt necessary. So looks like I will remove the deck and do it myself. Also need to set the deck in properly so that it is flush. Sticks out 1/2 inch and bumps the shifter when opened for SD or disc.

Is it possible to removed the deck, wire back up the heater controls and the other harnesses that are not "deck related" and drive the car without the deck in while I fix the harness? Don't want the car computer to be confused.

Thanks, Mike
2006 G35 Coupe
If you have an aftermarket DD trim kit then yes u should be able to remove your head unit while the climate controls keep working.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 PM
>Once you've done that, follow the programming instructions for your steering wheel control adapter and you'll be set.

I had programmed my steering wheel controls before I bypassed the factory bluetooth. As the sterring wheel controls no longer work, I need to re-program them. Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 PM
I have an Android dvd player I'm going to install in a few days, and I have a question about the steering control wiring of the new headunit. The Pumpkin unit has one wire marked Key1 5v (solid red) and the other as Key2 5v (red with a black strip). My car already has the PAC for the Bose system properly installed and connected( the PO installed it along with a Kenwood dvd player) but I'm unsure which wire(s) to connect to the new unit, thanks to the difference in color. Will testing the voltage determine which wires to connect? I'm a little lost at this point, and if I've missed that info from the thread I apologize in advance

Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 PM
I ma getting ready to put everything back together but had a couple of questions. 2005 G35 Coupe with Bose.

In the wiring diagram it shows blue with white to blue with white. I bought the Kenwood DPX502BT. Are either of the two wires below the ones to be connected with the blue with white? The reason I am a little unsure is that they are wrapped up where the other wires were just straight.

Also, it does not have an orange with white wire to connect the orange from the PAC ROEM-NIS2 for the dimmer. Does this matter?

Thanks.....Donald

Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 PM
Southy, the P. Cont and remote wire do the same exact thing. They give out power whenever your stereo turns on. You can use it to turn on an amplifier, raise a power antenna, or power your antenna amplifier. You can use it for whatever u want.

As for the dimmer, does the stereo have a wire labeled as "illumination"? That would be your dimmer wire.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (12-20-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 PM
Thanks Scorpi0. So to double check, those don't need to be used right now but if I ever added an amp or power antennae that's when I would use those?

As for the dimmer, the only wires that I have are all connected per Wrathernaut's diagram except for those two I previously posted and a brown one labelled 'mute.'

Also was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the steering wheel control after being hooked up to the car wiring harness.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Southy1021
Thanks Scorpi0. So to double check, those don't need to be used right now but if I ever added an amp or power antennae that's when I would use those?

As for the dimmer, the only wires that I have are all connected per Wrathernaut's diagram except for those two I previously posted and a brown one labelled 'mute.'

Also was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the steering wheel control after being hooked up to the car wiring harness.
Well if u have it wired up according to Wrathernaut's guide then I think u should be good. I'm assuming he has the antenna signal amplifier hooked up as well, or else u wont get any radio reception.

I have a Metra ASWC-1 hooked up to my stereo for my steering controls. If thats the one ur looking for I can try to take a pic of the connections for u.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks. Yes I have the ASWC1. I appreciate that.

It looks like the solid blue wire is the antennae according to Wrathernaut's diagram so I am going to try it and see.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
You can't power the antenna amp with the blue/white or P.cont wires, the don't carry the amps it needs. That's why you have to tap into the switched power from the car, not the power SIGNAL wires.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Southy1021
Thanks. Yes I have the ASWC1. I appreciate that.

It looks like the solid blue wire is the antennae according to Wrathernaut's diagram so I am going to try it and see.
Dude I thought I had enough slack to pull the harness out and take a picture of the connections, but this is the best I could do without taking the whole stereo apart.

On the ASWC harness, you do not use the blue/white and pink wires. The male 3.5mm jack plugs into the female. For a Kenwood stereo, u only use the solid brown wire on the female side of the 3.5mm jack. The brown/white wire is not used.

Follow Wrathernaut's guide...it tells u which wires go where.

If u still need help just ask away!

Last edited by Scorpi0; 12-29-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
You can't power the antenna amp with the blue/white or P.cont wires, the don't carry the amps it needs. That's why you have to tap into the switched power from the car, not the power SIGNAL wires.
Really? I didnt think they would need so much power.

Good to know though!

Old 01-02-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
The blue with white is remote turn on if I remember correctly, which is green on yours.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Is the yellow (reference ground) in the M39 harness the same yellow wire that is in the trunk connected to the bluetooth factory adapter?

For that matter the red and green as well.

If so, this may be the issue i am having with the sterring wheel commands.

Thanks, Mike

Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Thanks for the original write-up and for all the answers and advice given out over the years on this thread. I have mine new HU in and working and it sounds great. Thanks!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List