Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by msilverton
Is the yellow (reference ground) in the M39 harness the same yellow wire that is in the trunk connected to the bluetooth factory adapter?

For that matter the red and green as well.

If so, this may be the issue i am having with the sterring wheel commands.

Thanks, Mike
Same, yes, in the sense that the wires are routed through the factory bluetooth adapter, to the steering wheel. They're not the same as in a "Y-split" going to both devices. If you leave the factory bluetooth adapter installed, it'll still intercept those buttons presses. If you just remove it, it won't route through it. You have to solder the in/out wires at the bluetooth harness to route the signal from the steering wheel to the headunit.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I have a 2005 JDM Non Nav trim piece, can I use it on a nav version g? What's the difference?
Thanks!

Old 02-28-2019, 05:51 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by christopherv5
If I have a 2005 JDM Non Nav trim piece, can I use it on a nav version g? What's the difference?
Thanks!
One of them is slightly shorter at the top. (The Nav one)

If u install the wrong one, you will either end up with a slight gap, or the lid for the storage above it wont close flush.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-non-navi.html

Heres my car. I installed a nav trim but my car doesnt have a nav. I was left with that gap above which I later covered with some aluminum trim that I customized.

Last edited by Scorpi0; 02-28-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
04 TB G35 coupe 6mt w' Brembos
Have an 04 g coupe. I ordered the jdm double din kit it should be here in a day or two. I’m gonna be installing a Pioneer AVH 2400nex. Will I need the universal outer trim for this set up? This unit has a the dvd/cd so the screen moves, also where are others putting the Bluetooth mics? On the dash or routing them up by the visor or mirror?

Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Siknin
Have an 04 g coupe. I ordered the jdm double din kit it should be here in a day or two. I’m gonna be installing a Pioneer AVH 2400nex. Will I need the universal outer trim for this set up? This unit has a the dvd/cd so the screen moves, also where are others putting the Bluetooth mics? On the dash or routing them up by the visor or mirror?
I put my mic right next to the ignition. People had no problem hearing me!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:07 PM
I put my mic right next to the ignition. People had no problem hearing me!
Cool. I wasn’t sure where to put it. If that worked out then no reason for me to run it up near the mirror or sun visor. What head unit did you go with?

Appreciate the reply.

This thread is a big help. Shout out to the thread starter

Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Siknin

Cool. I wasn’t sure where to put it. If that worked out then no reason for me to run it up near the mirror or sun visor. What head unit did you go with?

Appreciate the reply.

This thread is a big help. Shout out to the thread starter

No problem, I had the AVH x2700BS buy pioneer.
As for the trim, if you bought trim if you got the JDM DD kit then you should be cool. There will be a gap in the headunit and din, you'll need those faceplate covers. ($5-$10) on amazon

Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 PM
No problem, I had the AVH x2700BS buy pioneer.
As for the trim, if you bought trim if you got the JDM DD kit then you should be cool. There will be a gap in the headunit and din, you'll need those faceplate covers. ($5-$10) on amazon
i didn’t order the universal trim cover. I’ll stop by an audio shop and grab one tomorrow.

Thanks for the info

Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM
Just got the jdm double din in the mail today. test fitting. When I’m done and it looks like this I’ll be satisfied. Any tips on adjusting the PAC ROEM piece to get good sound from the Bose? Turn up the sound and turn the screws until it distorts then back them down?

Last edited by Siknin; 03-21-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe 6Speed MT with Bose/Brembo/Nav
How much is still valid?

I see the post was originally started quite a few years ago, I'm curious what exactly still is usable, or if new upgrades have been released so we no longer have to modify things so intensely. I assume the JDM and Metra are all the same still in modification but more so the other parts of the install I'm referring to. I'm not sure what head unit to go with either so a little guidance there would be awesome. I'm leaning more towards the JDM double din rather than a Metra since I do have the navigation and Bose. I'm aware I'll have to desolder and resolder the LEDs and swap button. The head unit I was looking at seems outdated even it itself. There is however quite a few options I desire out of the HU. I'm not to concerned about a DVD player integrated although it would be nice. A backup camera option however is a must, might not be installed at first but later for sure. I had heard rumor of new android chipsets that work with OBDII bluetooth scanners as well. GPS definitely is a must as well as wireless tethering to use with my phones mobile hotspot. Voice controls dont matter much although a microphone is a must. Gesture controls dont matter much either but I do need steering wheel controls. Amplified Data Interface to keep the stereo on until you open the cab door would be nice as well. I seen the shopping list from OP listing a few I would need but also seem a bit outdated.

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single zone climate, no nav
I have a unmodified 2006 G35 Sedan with single-zone climate and no navigation. I want to DIY install a 2din JDM and I found a seller who is offering it with a dual-climate AC controller for cheap. Question is - can I install a dual-zone AC controller in my single-zone car? I don't necessarily need the dual-zone to work. I just want to make sure that the pins will fit and the dual-zone button won't fry the car's board or something like that.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:41 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
You'll be fine with the install, it won't cause any issues. Congrats, cheap deals on the JDM faceplates are becoming more and more rare.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by MrStark007
I see the post was originally started quite a few years ago, I'm curious what exactly still is usable, or if new upgrades have been released so we no longer have to modify things so intensely. I assume the JDM and Metra are all the same still in modification but more so the other parts of the install I'm referring to. I'm not sure what head unit to go with either so a little guidance there would be awesome. I'm leaning more towards the JDM double din rather than a Metra since I do have the navigation and Bose. I'm aware I'll have to desolder and resolder the LEDs and swap button. The head unit I was looking at seems outdated even it itself. There is however quite a few options I desire out of the HU. I'm not to concerned about a DVD player integrated although it would be nice. A backup camera option however is a must, might not be installed at first but later for sure. I had heard rumor of new android chipsets that work with OBDII bluetooth scanners as well. GPS definitely is a must as well as wireless tethering to use with my phones mobile hotspot. Voice controls dont matter much although a microphone is a must. Gesture controls dont matter much either but I do need steering wheel controls. Amplified Data Interface to keep the stereo on until you open the cab door would be nice as well. I seen the shopping list from OP listing a few I would need but also seem a bit outdated.

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Double-...DKIKX0DER&th=1

The shopping list is still completely usable, there haven't been any real major changes since Scosche brought out their DDin trim kit a while back, otherwise, the parts listed are the same. They don't need to update things for old cars, they just keep them around.

There are some headunits that don't require the steering wheel adapter anymore, but they're still the exception, rather than the rule.

Just about any android phone since 2005 can connect via an ELM327-equipped bluetooth adapter with Torque or similar apps. GPS on the headunits is generally a waste these days since phones have better, constantly updated maps with traffic via stuff like Waze. The stereo itself doesn't know when you open the door, and our cars don't keep power to the accessories with the car open, so you'd need to wire up a timed relay to the door sensor to get that type of function on the radio.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 5AT, 3M clear bra, 15mm wheel spacers (rear), throttle body spacer, custom fitted floor mats.
Wrathernaut, did you ever imagine that this thread would turn out to be such a monster?!
Mad KUDOs to you for getting it started and also for your PATIENCE!!! (some people were clearly too lazy, or just couldn't be bothered, to look through the abundance of information here to get their answers, so they just bypassed the research by posting questions which had already been answered more than once?).

I have a 2006 Coupe (with 31k miles) and I'm about to embark on installing a JDM DD kit - even though I'm rather leery of changing my AS-NEW (literally) car in order to do some "needed" updates. When I decided to do the changes, I was apprehensive; now that I have spent MANY, MANY hours reading through all the posts, I am positively terrified! (HAR! HAR!). Terrified of messing something up in a 13-year-old "new" car that is in pristine condition, you know?

Anyway, wish me luck and expect to see me asking some dumb questions in the near future? I hope and trust you'll be as patient with me as you have with others over the years(?). I promise it will be a last-resort scenario before I do. Maybe even take a drive from Memphis to GA to do it right? (lol).

All the best, bud and my sincerest thanks again for this post! I don't think I would have attempted it as confidently as I am, without THIS VERY thread!?

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (09-13-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
White G35x
Can anyone confirm if you can tell the difference between NAV and non-NAV dash panel just from looking at it? I'm really wanting to purchase a used V35 dash kit as opposed to new, and the only place I can find is ebay. I see one I want to buy now but it doesn't mention whether its for NAV or not, and it's coming from Japan by a non-english speaker and my Japanese is a bit rusty. I've tried messaging the seller but haven't got a reply.

I know the NAV panels are shorter at the top, and the ones marked non-nav look to have a noticeably taller section of trim above the climate controls than the one under them, and my piece with NAV looks to have about the same amount of trim above and below the climate control panel. So I'm just wondering if this would be enough to confirm the difference by just seeing a pic.

Last edited by TheBFA; 12-19-2019 at 11:40 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List