Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axxess ASWC install photos

Per the contribution requests, here are some photos of wiring in the Axxess ASWC. Unfortunately I didn't see the request link until after the job was done, so hopefully the pics are useful enough.

Wiring_Harness - Shows the wiring of the scosche amp adapter and the aswc I did inside. This includes the power wire for the aswc that I tied to the power wire for the head unit, and the blue antenna power wire that was connected as well.
Axxess_Before - Shows the harness connector in the G35 that you need to tap into to finish wiring up the ASWC.
Axxess_After - Shows the wires clipped from the harness and connected to the ASWC
Axxess_Ground - The last connection you have to do is clip another of the G35 harness wires and tie it to ground. I used one of the four screws on the original metal bracket that was refashioned (i.e. hammered the crap out of the indented screw holes) and put back into service to hold the entire stereo / nav unit together.

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-wiring_harness.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-axxess_before.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-axxess_after.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-axxess_ground.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Metra nav modification photos

And finally, the another contribution request I have some pictures of; modifying the metra board to work with the stock nav system.

Looks like there's a 5 photo limit, so I'll do this in two posts. First, the nav control board...

NavBoard_Orig - Shows how the nav board fits into the metra frame out of the box. Pretty lousy fit indeed.
NavBoard_Half - Shows how it fit in after doing some filing on the bottom corners of the nav board. As explained in the youtube video, the corner radii on the nav board need to be rounded and filed down to make things fit. Note in addition to filing at an angle, I put masking tape over the front of the nav board to protect the finish from my less-than-skillful hands.
NavBoard_Done - Shows how it fit when I stopped work. Fit flush, and looked pretty even.
NavBoard_RoundedCorner - A closeup of one of the bottom corners of the nav board, so you can see exactly where to file it down to get that improved fit.

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-navboard_orig.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-navboard_half.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-navboard_done.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-navboard_roundedcorner.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Metra nav modification photos

Part two of two.

Metra_TopScrews - Shows the finished nav board placement after tape removal. Also, I've drilled the two new screws in the top so I could bolt the metra plastic frame to the nav unit. I couldn't use a standard countersink bit to properly countersink the screws because of the angle, so I just used a conical grinder bit on the dremel.
Metra_Spacers - Looking behind the screws (standard #8 countersunk head screws, cut to the right length, a little over 1"), you can see three #8 nuts between the metra and the nav unit as spacers, and one holding the two together.
Metra_TopScrewsCovered - And finally, with the trim in place, you can't even see the screws.

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-metra_topscrews.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-metra_spacers.jpg   Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-metra_topscrewscovered.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Wrathernaut;5036315]FAQs:
Alright so I finally got my nis2 in the mail today, but I am just a bit confused you say to connect blue/white to blue white which I am assuming is for the bose amp. What will I connect my amp that powers the subwoofer to?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Nadim
I've never done car work before, but I'm fairly handy in general. And there was enough info out there I could just search for videos and answers, rather than asking people to answer the same questions they've already answered before.

I took a whole bunch of pics as I was doing it (so I could remember how things were before I messed them up), so if anyone needs a pic of some aspect of the process, just ask. Attached (assuming I did it right) is a pic of the final result, with the new head unit and the nav system popped up (it opens and closes properly through the metra) and operational.
Nice work. Just those metra buttons.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by iamdsutin12
Alright so I finally got my nis2 in the mail today, but I am just a bit confused you say to connect blue/white to blue white which I am assuming is for the bose amp. What will I connect my amp that powers the subwoofer to?

Thanks
Use the same blue/white amp power on signal wire for both amps.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Use the same blue/white amp power on signal wire for both amps.
First I just wanted to say thank you for all the help an quick replies. while battling to get the deck installed I ran into a couple problems.

1. I currently have my amp wires hidden underneath my glove box, how can I wire them behind my deck to plug in.

2. I purchased the metra kit and it is a pretty tight fit with my pioneer x4500bt, it doesnt allow the screen to tilt to insert a cd or dvd. I was thinking of cutting off the back edges of the metra kit, hopefully it will give it enough clearance. What do you think?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Nice work. Just those metra buttons.
Those metra buttons look beautiful to me, because when I push them, they actually work, and I can defog the front windshield or defrost the rear. It's an 11 year old car...I still enjoy driving it every day (okay, except when there's snow on the ground), but I'm okay with function over form at this point...

Oh, and going from using the tape adapter to play audiobooks from my phone, to sweet bluetooth goodness, makes me smile every time I turn it on.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by iamdsutin12
First I just wanted to say thank you for all the help an quick replies. while battling to get the deck installed I ran into a couple problems.

1. I currently have my amp wires hidden underneath my glove box, how can I wire them behind my deck to plug in.

2. I purchased the metra kit and it is a pretty tight fit with my pioneer x4500bt, it doesnt allow the screen to tilt to insert a cd or dvd. I was thinking of cutting off the back edges of the metra kit, hopefully it will give it enough clearance. What do you think?
1. There's space to go from behind the glovebox to behind the radio, not sure how well you can see it, but I ran my wife's iPod connection through there:

2. You might have to drill new holes for the screws to adjust the position of the radio forward/back, or take a file to increase the size of the gap under the radio.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to this post and Wrathernaut. Follow the direction and install came out mostly as expected. Here's my install on a 2007 Bose w/SAT and BT.

Attached Thumbnails Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List-img_20140202_182746.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 04:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JDM A/C Control Question

I want to preface by saying thanks to Wrathernaut and all of the contributors! I also want to say that I have read all 1405 posts here, but I'm a little unclear on something.

Apparently, the '05-'07 JDM Dual-Zone Climate Control units are currently unavailable from Grubbs. If I install an '05-'07 Single-Zone Climate control in a car equipped with dual, is the process of modifying for dual functionality the same as with the '03-'04 control unit? Is it still just a matter of installing the button/switch/led? Are the components laid out the same on the newer circuit board?

Quoted from FAQ: "For 05-07, it is not usually necessary, as all my recommended sources for the trim and a/c controls price the dual controls the same as single, so there's no excuse, unless you can get the single for a much better price."

Same price or not, the Dual-Zone just isn't available.

Thanks for any guidance here. Also, if the control board is configured differently, I'd appreciate a close-up pic of the newer layout.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Purplevike
I want to preface by saying thanks to Wrathernaut and all of the contributors! I also want to say that I have read all 1405 posts here, but I'm a little unclear on something.

Apparently, the '05-'07 JDM Dual-Zone Climate Control units are currently unavailable from Grubbs. If I install an '05-'07 Single-Zone Climate control in a car equipped with dual, is the process of modifying for dual functionality the same as with the '03-'04 control unit? Is it still just a matter of installing the button/switch/led? Are the components laid out the same on the newer circuit board?

Quoted from FAQ: "For 05-07, it is not usually necessary, as all my recommended sources for the trim and a/c controls price the dual controls the same as single, so there's no excuse, unless you can get the single for a much better price."

Thanks for any guidance here. Also, if the control board is configured differently, I'd appreciate a close-up pic of the newer layout.
Yeah, process is the same, I did it to mine. Not sure why I unlinked my video, but this video was me moving a button from the original board to another spot on the original board. You would, of course, be moving from the original board to the JDM climate control board:

Old 02-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Purplevike

It is a lot of work just to save you moving the dials on the actual vents. GL!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
It is a lot of work just to save you moving the dials on the actual vents. GL!
Not a lot of work. Without worrying about the camera being able to see or anything, it's really only about a minute of work.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, process is the same, I did it to mine. Not sure why I unlinked my video, but this video was me moving a button from the original board to another spot on the original board. You would, of course, be moving from the original board to the JDM climate control board:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EgXl82Ufwvc
Perfect. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List