Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 g35 coupe HU install

I'm still a tiny bit confused.
I have a 2003 G35 coupe with the Bose package. My CD player went out, so I decided to get the Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS. I'm keeping the same speakers, not adding a sub nor an external amp, ONLY replacing the head unit. I already got the antenna adapter and the Metra Doubledin installation kit. But I went to best but and they told me I needed and amp interface (model ISVE61). Just wanted to know what I should get, whether it's that one or the PAC ROEM-NIS2? AND which wire harness I should get?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Read one of the first posts, if you use the Metra you WILL lose bass.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Read one of the first posts, if you use the Metra you WILL lose bass.
Isn't the Metra thing just the installation kit with the Doubledin opening?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Look what this random guy said on youtube 4 years ago .

So the RCA's from the 7551 will plug back into the pioneer head unit?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 PM
2003 g35

I think I get it now. The head unit wires will connect to the PAC ROEM-NIS2. And that will connect straight to the factory harness, right?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

It pretty much converts signals from the DDin for your Bose amp to listen. On the device there is a + and - for each speaker. The other Metra piece (oddly also called 7551) connects aftermarket wires directly to your aftermarket radio without splicing of factory plug.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:50 AM
It pretty much converts signals from the DDin for your Bose amp to listen. On the device there is a + and - for each speaker. The other Metra piece (oddly also called 7551) connects aftermarket wires directly to your aftermarket radio without splicing of factory plug.
So the correct way to install this system without adding an external amp would be to connect the wires from the pioneer head unit to the PAC ROEM-NIS2, and then connect the harnesses from the PAC to the factory harnesses?

Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Without using the 7550/7551?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Look what this random guy said on youtube 4 years ago .
You can look up my history on my posts with that subject. Long story short, the lax quality controls and inconsistency with Bose products means once in a while, it works fine without the ROEM. If you get the harness free (like I did) and want to give it a try, go ahead. But there were many people who claimed to have it connected exactly like that and it didn't work at all, so rather than try and troubleshoot why they didn't get the same results, a $35-40 ROEM-NIS2 is money well spent to have something that's worked for 99% of people, rather than something that works for, I dunno, 20%?

There's a couple of reason I still leave that video up:
1) To prove that it *can* work fine to those who doubted me.
2) To show the way it should be connected if you want any chance of it working right.

Anyway, to answer the original question, the ISVE61 is supposedly equivalent to the ROEM-NIS2, and it's what Best Buy uses. Considering there's been relatively few complaints about volume levels by people blaming best buy for their installation, I can only assume it has a pretty good success rating. However, the goal of the list is to keep things simple and cheap. Listing equivalent options that are more expensive to purchase (like the ISVE61) only serve to complicate things, so they won't be included in the list.

So yes when keeping Bose amplifier:
Aftermarket Headunit Harness (speaker-level output wires) -> PAC ROEM-NIS2 -> Factory OEM Radio Harness

Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Wrathernaut, you wouldn't happen to be able to install a TransGo kit would you? Looking to see what I can get installed when I make the trip. Probably going to grab some new front speakers, possibly an amp and a subwoofer also. Any recommendations for those by the way? Looking to upgrade to the bare minimum, nothing special, just something that won't pop when I turn up the volume on my DD

Thanks man!

Last edited by SoFloVan; 03-29-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SoFloVan
Hey Wrathernaut, you wouldn't happen to be able to install a TransGo kit would you? Looking to see what I can get installed when I make the trip. Probably going to grab some new front speakers, possibly an amp and a subwoofer also. Any recommendations for those by the way? Looking to upgrade to the bare minimum, nothing special, just something that won't pop when I turn up the volume on my DD

Thanks man!
Nope, transgo kit is more than I can handle in my garage.

At how good they are for the price, I can't really recommend anything other than the Image Dynamics CTX65-CS. I've got them in my wife's car, and used them in Tr0uble's car too if you want a second opinion on them without any subwoofer. I can't remember which amp we used on his, but I've got the RF P300-2 running in my wife's and have been very happy with it.

Subwoofer, I'd say sundown SA-10. You'll need to get another amp for that, again, I've been happy with the RF amps I've used, so: RF P500 amp.

You'll need a dual-amp wiring kit for something like that.

Oh yeah, you'll also want to pick up some speaker spacers. zenclosures used to make some good ones, but they're not on the site - http://www.zenclosures.com/Speaker-Spacers-s/36.htm - you may want to try calling them. It took me like an hour or so to make them last time.

The following users liked this post:
SoFloVan (04-01-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Nope, transgo kit is more than I can handle in my garage.

At how good they are for the price, I can't really recommend anything other than the Image Dynamics CTX65-CS. I've got them in my wife's car, and used them in Tr0uble's car too if you want a second opinion on them without any subwoofer. I can't remember which amp we used on his, but I've got the RF P300-2 running in my wife's and have been very happy with it.

Subwoofer, I'd say sundown SA-10. You'll need to get another amp for that, again, I've been happy with the RF amps I've used, so: RF P500 amp.

You'll need a dual-amp wiring kit for something like that.

Oh yeah, you'll also want to pick up some speaker spacers. zenclosures used to make some good ones, but they're not on the site - http://www.zenclosures.com/Speaker-Spacers-s/36.htm - you may want to try calling them. It took me like an hour or so to make them last time.
So if I just want to upgrade the front speakers, I just need to get the speaker themselves and some speaker spacers? (using the links you provided)

Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the help and inputs, this is the only place I could find anything about this.
I have a 2006 G35 Coupe, I will be replacing the HU with a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, adding a sub and sub AMP, I'm trying to keep my factory AMP for surrounding speakers from once they sound good with the new HU, if not I'll go ahead and replace the factory AMP also.
I have read your post and you said if I want to keep my factory AMP I should buy the PAC REOM-NIS2,
but when I checked eBay for it they said it's not compatible with my car.
Can it still work?
Is there another one for my car?
If I should decide to change the factory AMP can I still use it for the new (JL audio 4CH)AMP or should I also buy the METRA 70-7550-1?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SoFloVan
So if I just want to upgrade the front speakers, I just need to get the speaker themselves and some speaker spacers? (using the links you provided)
Yes, and the amp, amp kit and some RCAs if you want to get any punch of the the speakers, of course.

The following users liked this post:
SoFloVan (04-01-2014)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List