Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright, so I did all of the removal work last night, dash, trim pieces, climate control unit, nav, etc.
I got the new Metra kit fitted with the Nav and put back together after filing it down some (thanks to the video help).

Tonight I'll be installing the radio and putting it back together I think. Nervous for this part as I am not an expert in soldering and have never installed an aftermarket radio. Will do my best to stay patient and just follow everything from here!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by iced!tea
Alright, so I did all of the removal work last night, dash, trim pieces, climate control unit, nav, etc.
I got the new Metra kit fitted with the Nav and put back together after filing it down some (thanks to the video help).

Tonight I'll be installing the radio and putting it back together I think. Nervous for this part as I am not an expert in soldering and have never installed an aftermarket radio. Will do my best to stay patient and just follow everything from here!
Good luck! Wire and solder are cheap if you feel the need to practice beforehand.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:37 PM
So the one red wire from the head unit needs to go to the Red AND the Blue on the harness? How do I do so? Sorry I am new at this and currently soldering wires together.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So the one red wire from the head unit needs to go to the Red AND the Blue on the harness? How do I do so? Sorry I am new at this and currently soldering wires together.
Just apply a bit of soldering flux, twist half of them together, slide the heatshrink over that half, twist the other half of the wires together, then twist both halves together and solder. Slide the heatshrink over both halves and apply heat to the heatshrink.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Just apply a bit of soldering flux, twist half of them together, slide the heatshrink over that half, twist the other half of the wires together, then twist both halves together and solder. Slide the heatshrink over both halves and apply heat to the heatshrink.
With the kit Crutchfield sent me, the red went to red, and the two blues on the kit went to the one blue on the Pioneer head unit. Was able to call them and they were SO helpful and knowledgable walking me through it by phone.

Biggest pain in this install for me was shaving down the navigation control buttons to make the nav fit. However I am happy to say with the help of this thread, I now have a working radio and A/C. Thanks for all the great info!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

With the kit Crutchfield sent me, the red went to red, and the two blues on the kit went to the one blue on the Pioneer head unit. Was able to call them and they were SO helpful and knowledgable walking me through it by phone.

Biggest pain in this install for me was shaving down the navigation control buttons to make the nav fit. However I am happy to say with the help of this thread, I now have a working radio and A/C. Thanks for all the great info!
If you connected the antenna amp wire to the power antenna cable, it's insufficient power to run the antenna amp. The wire isn't a power signal wire, it's actually used to power the antenna.

Originally Posted by http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-X8500BS_OwnersManual100212.pdf
Blue/White
Connect to system control terminal of the power amp or auto-antenna relay control terminal (max. 300mA 12 V DC)
Feel free to search on the number of people with poor radio reception with an aftermarket radio, our car is a bit of a rarity where the antenna amp is powered by the radio instead of just switching a relay. 300mA is not enough power, that's why it connects to the switched power wire (RED) instead of a power switching signal.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Basic Harness Question

Common Install Issues and How to Avoid Them

[I am trying to install the AVH-4000NEX in an 03 coupe with stock bose amp/speaker setup. Have the JDM a/c working.
Have bought the ASWC-1 & PAC ROEM-NIS2 and see the wiring chart on page 1 of the sticky, but am looking for help on what I am supposed to splice the (relevant) PAC 18pin connector wires to?

What connector goes into the back of the HU - am I missing some harness piece?
And how does one identify the other corresponding vehicle wires that are supposed to splice to the wires in the PAC harness that don't go into the HU.

I have the same question related to the Access device.

sorry if this fundamental question has been answered but I can't find it, I've looked.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by amoncarter
Common Install Issues and How to Avoid Them

[I am trying to install the AVH-4000NEX in an 03 coupe with stock bose amp/speaker setup. Have the JDM a/c working.
Have bought the ASWC-1 & PAC ROEM-NIS2 and see the wiring chart on page 1 of the sticky, but am looking for help on what I am supposed to splice the (relevant) PAC 18pin connector wires to?

What connector goes into the back of the HU - am I missing some harness piece?
And how does one identify the other corresponding vehicle wires that are supposed to splice to the wires in the PAC harness that don't go into the HU.

I have the same question related to the Access device.

sorry if this fundamental question has been answered but I can't find it, I've looked.
The harness that comes with the 4000NEX goes into the back of the radio, that harness gets soldered together with the ROEM-NIS2.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 PM
I want to first give a big thanks to Wrathernaut for the great information.

I had rarely posted on the forum, and not in many years, but I returned when my OEM radio started going haywire. I had no idea there was so much info here.

The install has gone perfectly so far, except for a little confusion with the SWC.

I have a 2005 6MT Sedan w/Bose w/Factory Nav. With the info here, I've managed to install the following:

-JDM Nav Trim with Dual-Zone
-Pioneer AVH-4000NEX (yes, because of the promised CarPlay)
-Boyo VTL275HDL Rear Camera
-SiriusXM SXV200 Tuner

I used the Metra 40-NI10, Metra Axxess ASWC-1, and PAC ROEM-NIS2.

I ended up with 2 harnesses left over, and this is the one that looks like the right plug:

I'm confused because the colors don't seem to exactly match any other M39 pics I've seen.

--Is the "Yellow" wire from your first post actually the "Yellow with Gray" on my picture?
--Is the "Green" wire from your first post actually the "Green with Gray" on my picture?
--I have 2 red wires, one is solid red, and one is "Red with Gray". Is it the solid red?

I'm probably over-complicating it, but thanks for the help.

SofaKing

Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SofaKing
I want to first give a big thanks to Wrathernaut for the great information.

I had rarely posted on the forum, and not in many years, but I returned when my OEM radio started going haywire. I had no idea there was so much info here.

The install has gone perfectly so far, except for a little confusion with the SWC.

I have a 2005 6MT Sedan w/Bose w/Factory Nav. With the info here, I've managed to install the following:

-JDM Nav Trim with Dual-Zone
-Pioneer AVH-4000NEX (yes, because of the promised CarPlay)
-Boyo VTL275HDL Rear Camera
-SiriusXM SXV200 Tuner

I used the Metra 40-NI10, Metra Axxess ASWC-1, and PAC ROEM-NIS2.

I ended up with 2 harnesses left over, and this is the one that looks like the right plug:

I'm confused because the colors don't seem to exactly match any other M39 pics I've seen.

--Is the "Yellow" wire from your first post actually the "Yellow with Gray" on my picture?
--Is the "Green" wire from your first post actually the "Green with Gray" on my picture?
--I have 2 red wires, one is solid red, and one is "Red with Gray". Is it the solid red?

I'm probably over-complicating it, but thanks for the help.

SofaKing
Yes, that's the M39 harness. It doesn't look like most, because you have navigation. I'll take advantage of your photo to outline them clearly:

Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the help once again! It's perfectly clear now. I'll pull the radio back out tonight and get this last piece done.

Until the factory HU went nuts, the car had been perfect since I bought it new, and I hadn't needed to remove even a single interior trim panel until now. I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew with the entire install, plus running/hiding wires for the backup camera and external Sirius antenna, but it hasn't been too bad at all.

Can't wait to get this finished tonight.

Sofa King

Old 07-12-2014, 03:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Wrathernaut, what microphone would you recommend for the Pioneer AVH x5500? The stock one is horrible haha. Thanks again man.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SoFloVan
Hey Wrathernaut, what microphone would you recommend for the Pioneer AVH x5500? The stock one is horrible haha. Thanks again man.
I use the Garmin 010-10804-00. Much better than Pioneer's.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

Installed a pioneer avh-p4200dvd head unit a while back...03 sedan bose sysyem...When I installed it the speaker in the rear window has no sound and can barely hear the rear door speakers...any ideas?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 408G35Sedan
Installed a pioneer avh-p4200dvd head unit a while back...03 sedan bose sysyem...When I installed it the speaker in the rear window has no sound and can barely hear the rear door speakers...any ideas?
First simple check is to check the tuner settings (fade, etc) on the head unit itself... Next is if you used a non PAC module you will have to adjust sound by a turn **** down at the module itself. There are four screws that adjust noise level relative to volume... Next we have a wiring issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List