Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Adon
Appreciate your reply, reason for video touchscreen is just for usability reasons, and maybe watching some videos at times I guess.... but mostly because I've been touch screening since the original iPhone came out, and I don't wanna go back to ***** and buttons...
I suppose I could look for one that has at least a 2 year warranty on it, I've seen some of them with multi year warranties...

so you got any touchscreen recommendations that come for around $100-$200 range ?
Nothing in that range. If you're still toting an iPhone, the latest line of Pioneer receivers (X2600BT, X3600BHS, X4600BT and X5600BHS) have good options, just have to pick screen size, whether you want HD radio or satellite to decide on the model, they go from $260 to $380. The 1600 doesn't have bluetooth, so forget about that one.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Parking brake wire needs to be connected on many radios which lock out many of the setup and audio preference options, so I'd hook that up, bypassing that safety check another way is not illegal, but will allow you to do illegal things, so that's on you.

Yes, use a ring terminal, it will reduce the amount of stress on the wires, preventing fatigue and breaking over time. Pressed together in a crimp connector is fine on wires; getting smashed in a rotating screw and twisted into a small radius all at the same time, not so good. That location is good from a wiring standpoint, it's good bare metal and you can sandwich it between the two pieces, but it's in a spot that's a little tricky to get to.
Question: where is the parking brake wire located.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
It's around your left knee when you sit in the drivers seat.

You have to remove the panel below the steering wheel by taking out a screw near the OBD2 connector for your car. The lower door trim will have to be taken out to access this area.

I will add a picture when I get to my iPad later!

The following users liked this post:
cpezie (01-11-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
It's around your left knee when you sit in the drivers seat.

You have to remove the panel below the steering wheel by taking out a screw near the OBD2 connector for your car. The lower door trim will have to be taken out to access this area.

I will add a picture when I get to my iPad later!
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will be installing this weekend.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys
I have a question about the metra kit
I know that there are several thread about that but they all refers to this thread but I have read all the page and all the thread without a clear answer.....my point is that everyone ask if it is possible to swap the OEM a/c control on the metra kit......I know that everyone says that it is not possible because the OEM is weld with the radio circuit board BUT my point is not to swap the entire circuit bord but only the button

is it possible to seperate the front of the OEM button from the board (splice it in 2) then take the metra kit remove the a/c control open it (in two pieces) and remove the front of the button and then put the OEM front button to the metra cicuit board??? I assume that both should be pressure button so why should it be not possible to do?
Thanks

edit:
I am pretty sure that it was on this forum .....I saw a picture that someone took of the metra kit button in is hand maybe somebody remember ?

Last edited by Elmecano; 01-19-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 PM
I have my own amp but it is only for my sub NOT for speakers. I would like to keep the bose speakers amplified with the bose amp. Whick wiring harness do i need for this? Sorry if this has been answered already

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Elmecano
Hi guys
I have a question about the metra kit
I know that there are several thread about that but they all refers to this thread but I have read all the page and all the thread without a clear answer.....my point is that everyone ask if it is possible to swap the OEM a/c control on the metra kit......I know that everyone says that it is not possible because the OEM is weld with the radio circuit board BUT my point is not to swap the entire circuit bord but only the button

is it possible to seperate the front of the OEM button from the board (splice it in 2) then take the metra kit remove the a/c control open it (in two pieces) and remove the front of the button and then put the OEM front button to the metra cicuit board??? I assume that both should be pressure button so why should it be not possible to do?
Thanks

edit:
I am pretty sure that it was on this forum .....I saw a picture that someone took of the metra kit button in is hand maybe somebody remember ?
Not 100% sure what you're asking.

If you're asking about separating the OEM radio/climate control board, no, you can't split the OEM board. An electrical engineer with some soldering skills could split it, but to pay anyone to do it for you would cost more than buying the JDM climate control board.

If you're just trying to get the plastic buttons from the OEM trim, those can be removed, but trying to get them to work on the Metra electronics board would be difficult to say the least.

If you're trying to keep OEM look for cheap, your best option is to cut up the OEM trim to a roughly DDin-sized opening and use the JDM climate controls, purchased separate from the JDM trim.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by iamdsutin12
I have my own amp but it is only for my sub NOT for speakers. I would like to keep the bose speakers amplified with the bose amp. Whick wiring harness do i need for this? Sorry if this has been answered already
PAC ROEM-NIS2 is the adapter to use if you're keeping the bose amp.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 AM
PAC ROEM-NIS2 is the adapter to use if you're keeping the bose amp.
Thanks for the quick response! So will i hook up my aftermarket amp to the PAC ROEM or will it connect directly to the harness for the deck?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdsutin12

Thanks for the quick response! So will i hook up my aftermarket amp to the PAC ROEM or will it connect directly to the harness for the deck?
Harness for deck.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Extremely informative.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by DesertPlatinumG
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Extremely informative.
Don't forget to hit the "Thank" button on the first post... 161 and counting.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Not 100% sure what you're asking.

If you're asking about separating the OEM radio/climate control board, no, you can't split the OEM board. An electrical engineer with some soldering skills could split it, but to pay anyone to do it for you would cost more than buying the JDM climate control board.

If you're just trying to get the plastic buttons from the OEM trim, those can be removed, but trying to get them to work on the Metra electronics board would be difficult to say the least.

If you're trying to keep OEM look for cheap, your best option is to cut up the OEM trim to a roughly DDin-sized opening and use the JDM climate controls, purchased separate from the JDM trim.
Yeah this is what I mean....but does the metra button can be split like the OEM?

I dont see where it can be difficult if both are pressure button and button are at the same place on both board if the back of the board is similar it can be modiifed easy...by the way I will ask someone I know (he is an eletric thecnician that we call here) and try it before summer

by the way great thread!!

Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Elmecano
Yeah this is what I mean....but does the metra button can be split like the OEM?

I dont see where it can be difficult if both are pressure button and button are at the same place on both board if the back of the board is similar it can be modiifed easy...by the way I will ask someone I know (he is an eletric thecnician that we call here) and try it before summer

by the way great thread!!
I think it'll be much easier to modify the buttons to press the appropriate spot on the metra electronics board than to modify the board itself. I've always used the JDM trim, so I haven't had the opportunity to compare the boards.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
i looked but didnt find , on a DD for a 2007 G35S Sedan Application, i have the facorty NAV & also want to keep that screen in, if anyone can point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List