Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Could be legit, but I figure it would happen to more people if it were the case. Could be a symptom of a poor ground... if they just tied the grounds (amp ground + radio + roem-nis2) together without also connecting it directly to the chassis, it could be also be the cause.
A good friend of mine also told me when i showed the issue to him that it could be a bad ground. At this point im really not sure

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
I've already taken it back to the shop that installed it and they told me what they "know" is the issue. Should i insist that they pull the radio out and re-check the connections they did?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike05G35
I've already taken it back to the shop that installed it and they told me what they "know" is the issue. Should i insist that they pull the radio out and re-check the connections they did?
So long as they put the labor in to do what they were originally paid to do, that's all you can hope for.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 PM
The bose speakers are great in my opinion but if i decide to upgrade the amp what brand and what watt range should i go for considering i will be working with the pioneer headunit and bose speakers?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

You don't need anything special to power the bose speakers, and with an aftermarket headunit, any amplifier will work.

For speakers, generally 100-150w RMS per speaker is good, subs, 300-500w is a good ballpark.

If you consider the factory bose speakers great, you really haven't heard anything good before. If you really don't plan to upgrade them, ever, just power them from the headunit by bypassing the factory amp. Otherwise, upgrade the amp now so you can do the speakers later.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 PM
How many watts does the bose amp have? I have a 05 coupe with the bose audio package. I'd like to upgrade to something a little more powerful

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a pioneer touchscreen head unit on my 05 G with the bose speakers and amp and when i turn the volume up towards 30 when the bass kicks in the screen flickers to the sound of the bass and everything sounds like it wants to cut out. So i brought it this morning to the shop that installed it for me and they told me that the headunit is putting out more power than the bose amp can handle and that when it flickers like that its because the amp is temporarily shorting out. I was given the option to either upgrade the amp or just turn the bass down so that it doesnt happen. Does this sound like a legit explanation or bs?
Did they use the PAC harness or Metra? I decided to buy the PAC harness to see if that will fix my problem.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

How many watts does the bose amp have? I have a 05 coupe with the bose audio package. I'd like to upgrade to something a little more powerful
You should be in this other sticky'd post: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-stock-hu.html

Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 PM
UPDATE!

I swapped from the Metra harness to the PAC unit and my screen flickering has quit. All is good!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:59 PM
After installing the Kenwood DPX500BT with Metra Dash in my 2003 G35 SEDAN with BOSE, keeping NAV (shaving plastic), PacRoem Nis-2, ASWC-1, SCOSCH NDAB, my first issue noticed was no bass coming from the speakers. The whole job took me 5 weeks of preparation/forum reading/ordering. Took me about 2 weeks to install. I have 3 kids so I had a lot of small windows of time to do this. To fix the no-bass problem, I took HU out again (what a task!). I tried to splice in the lows into the highs first and that didn't work very well. I then reconnected the stereo spearker wires back to like I had it first - like Wrathernaut advised - then turned up each PacRoem tenuation screw about half way...then reinstalled. At first, sounded fine, then I noticed it was a bit tinny, sort of overpower sound. So took out the HU again - I'm tired ot taking it out. So heavy, so many screws. Have to take the whole car apart to get to these dang screws. AFter adjusting down the tenuation about a quarter down each one, wow, this was music to my ears. The stock door speakers actually put out deep bass! I sometimes feel I need to adjust down about 1/8th or 1/16th of a turn. I have read posts how to adjust these and but the posts were vague, so not sure how to do it perfect. I'm happy with how things turned out and the sound is KILLER. Bluetooth streaming songs from my Iphone sound better than FM radio. I think FM has a basal static that when you turn up the watts, that signal noise just kills my ears. Overall - success. I have some pics of the final install and not sure yet how to post them. By me installing myself, saved me about $800 labor at the local stereo shop. I respect what those guys do, but I'm very happy with the end result. My next job will be to upgrade the door speakers - someday.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by DMCJEDI
After installing the Kenwood DPX500BT with Metra Dash in my 2003 G35 SEDAN with BOSE, keeping NAV (shaving plastic), PacRoem Nis-2, ASWC-1, SCOSCH NDAB, my first issue noticed was no bass coming from the speakers. The whole job took me 5 weeks of preparation/forum reading/ordering. Took me about 2 weeks to install. I have 3 kids so I had a lot of small windows of time to do this. To fix the no-bass problem, I took HU out again (what a task!). I tried to splice in the lows into the highs first and that didn't work very well. I then reconnected the stereo spearker wires back to like I had it first - like Wrathernaut advised - then turned up each PacRoem tenuation screw about half way...then reinstalled. At first, sounded fine, then I noticed it was a bit tinny, sort of overpower sound. So took out the HU again - I'm tired ot taking it out. So heavy, so many screws. Have to take the whole car apart to get to these dang screws. AFter adjusting down the tenuation about a quarter down each one, wow, this was music to my ears. The stock door speakers actually put out deep bass! I sometimes feel I need to adjust down about 1/8th or 1/16th of a turn. I have read posts how to adjust these and but the posts were vague, so not sure how to do it perfect. I'm happy with how things turned out and the sound is KILLER. Bluetooth streaming songs from my Iphone sound better than FM radio. I think FM has a basal static that when you turn up the watts, that signal noise just kills my ears. Overall - success. I have some pics of the final install and not sure yet how to post them. By me installing myself, saved me about $800 labor at the local stereo shop. I respect what those guys do, but I'm very happy with the end result. My next job will be to upgrade the door speakers - someday.
Glad it turned out well. Getting the bose amplifier to work right with its built-in EQ can be a challenge, which is one of the big reasons I recommend to get rid of it altogether.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Does anyone have instructions on removing the radio/CD changer? I already followed instructions and was able to remove the whole thing from the car (which was a bitch), but now it is just sitting here in my living room.

I have starred at this damn thing for the last 45 mins to an hr and still can't figure it out. Sometimes I think I got it, but then I see some challenging screws I cannot get to and it's back to square one.

I need to remove some stuck CDs (without damaging the unit). I see Wrathernaut's instructions, but he already had the unit removed. Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by Berretaz; 12-07-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Berretaz
Does anyone have instructions on removing the radio/CD changer? I already followed instructions and was able to remove the whole thing from the car (which was a bitch), but now it is just sitting here in my living room.

I have starred at this damn thing for the last 45 mins to an hr and still can't figure it out. Sometimes I think I got it, but then I see some challenging screws I cannot get to and it's back to square one.

I need to remove some stuck CDs (without damaging the unit). I see Wrathernaut's instructions, but he already had the unit removed. Any help will be appreciated!
So you're trying to get the trim/controls off the front of the radio and you're at approximately this step?

I'm pretty sure it's just the four screws you see on the sides that hold the control trim to the bracket, the ribbon cable connecting the trim to the radio, and then the four screws on both sides of the bracket that hold the radio in the bracket. Once you're there, follow the video linked on the front page to get them un-stuck.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the quick response Wrathernaut.

I wish I was at that step. I have a navi and so I am still here

EDIT: How do I disconnect the ribbon at the bottom (connecting the radio to the trim)? I can't get it off. I was pulling up on the ribbon, but it feels like it might rip. I tried pulling by the plastic, it comes up but then stops.

Last edited by Berretaz; 12-07-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Unlock the ribbon cable connector on the trim side and pull the ribbon.
Remove the eight screws holding the trim for both the navigation and radio controls.
There's four big screws holding the navigation unit to the bracket on the back side, remove them and the navigation unit will come off the bracket.
Once the navigation unit is off, it's just the eight screws on the sides of the bracket holding the radio to the bracket.

The following users liked this post:
Berretaz (12-07-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List