Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I just google searched ddin shopping and it brought me here lol, but here is a requested photos of the parking brake wire being spliced in to 5AT '06. Not an easy one to reach. ASWC WIRING to come.
Thanks for the shot, it'll help, but is it possible to get a clearer shot of the wire you're splicing into separate from the wires, plus one of a more zoomed-out shot to see the area in question?

The following users liked this post:
LMG_35C (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Wrathernaut - 1st, a very big thanks for all that you have done and continue to do for our forum. The info that you've created and assembled is a great time saver - Thank You!

So, my 2004 coupe's CD changer w/Bose radio but no nav has finally bit the dust and it's probably one of the better things that have happened recently. I'm planning to install a Pioneer AVH X3500 DVD receiver with Metra dash kit, Axxess steering wheel controls, brake bypass and the ROEMNIS2 sound interface. Budget minded as you can tell.

First - do you think this is an OK unit or should I be concerned about it's 2V pre-outs if I'm keeping the Bose amp? I'd didn't think it would matter but felt better asking rather than being sorry later on. Unit has all the other features that I'm looking for incl Bluetooth, HD Radio, App Mode and Pandora to name a few...

OR is the Bose amp really as bad as lots of people say? If so can I get away with bypassing it and powering the speakers directly from the receiver? What's needed?

Any other advice would be appreciated..

Best...

Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyxbat
I also have kenwood dd unit and have the same problem with fm reception. As of now I've been listening on pandora via bluetooth from my phone.
That's weird that they work fine in other cars but not ours.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Thanks for the shot, it'll help, but is it possible to get a clearer shot of the wire you're splicing into separate from the wires, plus one of a more zoomed-out shot to see the area in question?
I'll work on that. Thanks for asking.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LMG_35C
Hey Wrathernaut - 1st, a very big thanks for all that you have done and continue to do for our forum. The info that you've created and assembled is a great time saver - Thank You!

So, my 2004 coupe's CD changer w/Bose radio but no nav has finally bit the dust and it's probably one of the better things that have happened recently. I'm planning to install a Pioneer AVH X3500 DVD receiver with Metra dash kit, Axxess steering wheel controls, brake bypass and the ROEMNIS2 sound interface. Budget minded as you can tell.

First - do you think this is an OK unit or should I be concerned about it's 2V pre-outs if I'm keeping the Bose amp? I'd didn't think it would matter but felt better asking rather than being sorry later on. Unit has all the other features that I'm looking for incl Bluetooth, HD Radio, App Mode and Pandora to name a few...

OR is the Bose amp really as bad as lots of people say? If so can I get away with bypassing it and powering the speakers directly from the receiver? What's needed?

Best...
The Bose amp Blows aka the BLOWS system that comes with your car.

If you are a true audiophile the speakers start to distort at midrange using the PAC ROEM NIS2. Replace the amp and the speaker and the HU if you have the capital. You won't need the PAC ROEM NIS2 then at this point.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by LMG_35C
I'm planning to install a Pioneer AVH X3500 DVD receiver with Metra dash kit, Axxess steering wheel controls, brake bypass and the ROEMNIS2 sound interface. Budget minded as you can tell.

Best...
Yeah, the 3500's ok. The 2v preouts aren't a huge deal, and irrelevant if you're keeping the bose amp, since you connect the ROEM-NIS2 to the speaker-level outputs, no the preouts. You could use either, but people have had better luck with the speaker-level outputs.

The bose amp is as bad or worse than anyone says. It's got terrible built-in equalization which drops the power to the woofer channels as volume goes up to compensate for it's complete lack of power. You could bypass it and wire four of the speakers straight to the headunit, but for the trouble of doing that, you're much better off picking up an inexpensive four-channel amp (like this one) and using it instead. Use the $30 saved by cutting out the ROEM-NIS2, throw in another $100 or so, and you'll be TONS happier with the result.

LMG_35C (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy8ship
That's weird that they work fine in other cars but not ours.
Yeah, I give up on listening fm radio on my G.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

That deal on the RF amp is almost unbelievable... I'll be ordering that next week.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased an 03 sedan and need to replace the audio. There is a lot of great info here, but I have a couple of clarifications. My G does not have the Premium Package so it does not have the Bose system. However, it does have the Sport-Tuned Suspension Package that includes a titanium-trimmed interior center console. I have not seen other 03-04 G interiors in person, but from looking at other vehicles online it appears that the titanium in my G is brighter/shinier than the gray/silver in the photos I am seeing (I recognize that it may just be that since the console area around the shift **** in my G is titanium that it makes the audio unit trim look brighter, or that the pics make the trim look darker.). So one question is whether the Metra 99-7604 “Silver” is the same color as the “Titanium” in my G?

Also, while very minor, the trim around the dash vents above the audio unit in my G are the graphite color of the dash and not the titanium color of the console/audio unit trim. I note in the Metra kit, the trim around the vents is the same color as the audio unit trim. Is the trim around the vents typically the same as the console/audio unit trim?

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by wasjr
I just purchased an 03 sedan and need to replace the audio. There is a lot of great info here, but I have a couple of clarifications. My G does not have the Premium Package so it does not have the Bose system. However, it does have the Sport-Tuned Suspension Package that includes a titanium-trimmed interior center console. I have not seen other 03-04 G interiors in person, but from looking at other vehicles online it appears that the titanium in my G is brighter/shinier than the gray/silver in the photos I am seeing (I recognize that it may just be that since the console area around the shift **** in my G is titanium that it makes the audio unit trim look brighter, or that the pics make the trim look darker.). So one question is whether the Metra 99-7604 “Silver” is the same color as the “Titanium” in my G?

Also, while very minor, the trim around the dash vents above the audio unit in my G are the graphite color of the dash and not the titanium color of the console/audio unit trim. I note in the Metra kit, the trim around the vents is the same color as the audio unit trim. Is the trim around the vents typically the same as the console/audio unit trim?

Thanks for the help.
Silver is the one that's going to match your interior, for the 03-04 it's a good match. 05+ are a pretty bad match due to different materials in the metra vs. OEM pieces.

If you go metra, you're going to end up with it looking about like this:

OEM/JDM trim is usually the silver in the middle and black around the vents:

Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

http://bit.ly/14hjmQY

Check this out, seems like a great deal for our in a budget shoppers.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
http://bit.ly/14hjmQY

Check this out, seems like a great deal for our in a budget shoppers.
It's (currently) $20 less through the amazon link in the first post, which evens out the cost of the antenna adapter and harness, so it breaks even only if that's the harness you need, otherwise the amazon one is a better deal.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

This has been quiet for a while... For all you on a budget shoppers quick get this megapack!

Look at this on eBay:

New METRA 95-7605A INFINITI G35 SEDAN/COUPE 2005-2007 DOUBLE DIN DASH KIT COMBO

http://bit.ly/1822QXB

Old 09-13-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
gonna attempt to install my double din this weekend lol..only thing i'm not sure about is running the wires from behind the headunit to my trunk

Old 09-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by JaE35
gonna attempt to install my double din this weekend lol..only thing i'm not sure about is running the wires from behind the headunit to my trunk
Just go along the center hump. Fish tape + a pole to help pull the carpet up and it's an easy job.

JaE35 (09-14-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List