Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,030 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyR19
Appreciate the help on my other post. Installed the double din and originally didn’t turn on. Moved the ground and now it works but my sound is distorted and can barley hear anything even at max volume. If anyone can help point me in the right direction it’s greatly appreciated. I got the pac nis 2 with a pioneer radio and installed everything as directed.
the NIS2 has a little **** on it for individual speaker volume. Make sure yours are not turned all the way down for some reason .

Old 01-11-2023, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 G35 Sedan 6MT
Talking Successful Install

Used this guide for installing a Sony XAV-AX5500 with JDM trim in my 06 6MT with Bose.

Piece of cake with the guide. Used all the parts listed except for the SW controls, used the Maestro SW. Being able to flash it on your computer prior to install made it super simple. Also, I recommend foam tape to fill in the gaps around the headunit, used some at the bottom of mine.

Only thing I didn't complete was the rewiring for the Bluetooth module in the trunk, was on a time crunch. Other than the two call buttons on the SW everything works as it should.

The following 2 users liked this post by gblunt:
Scorpi0 (01-13-2023), Urbanengineer (01-18-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gblunt
Used this guide for installing a Sony XAV-AX5500 with JDM trim in my 06 6MT with Bose.

Piece of cake with the guide. Used all the parts listed except for the SW controls, used the Maestro SW. Being able to flash it on your computer prior to install made it super simple. Also, I recommend foam tape to fill in the gaps around the headunit, used some at the bottom of mine.

Only thing I didn't complete was the rewiring for the Bluetooth module in the trunk, was on a time crunch. Other than the two call buttons on the SW everything works as it should.

looks good.

the stuff I did to my car is insane.

in addition to the insane stereo I modded some other stuff like:

added OEM nav
converted to dual zone climate
auto headlights
all 4 auto windows
added memory seat with electric column
list is very long.

made new harnesses and connections like stated in factory workshop manual. It was fun.
only did it because the dealer said it can’t be done so I had to prove them wrong and test my skills.

The following 2 users liked this post by romansan2008:
Scorpi0 (01-13-2023), Urbanengineer (01-18-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35. New suspension front and rear, ported plenum and manifold, coil overs, spec D ext
2005 DD install with factory nav.

Hello. My winter project was to do a lot of upgrades to my 2005 G35. Upgrade 1 was to add. DD to the car. The factory nav no longer worked and I wanted apple car play. I started out with getting the metro kit,and boss radio. I resourced a non Nav radio frame with the glove compartment. Switching everything out wasn’t too bad and I also got the correct right hand upper glove compartment. After some trimming on the metro kit I got everything to fit perfectly. Plugged everything in, including the metro hvac controls. Radio and hvac all worked well , so I thought. A few days later I took the car out for a long drive to get some other stuff done. What I noticed is the hvac was blowing hot only unless I turned temp down to 60 degrees then AC would work. This is where I need help. Below is the finished install and before.

Before installing, it’s the only interior shot I had . You can see the old factory nav

After installing

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (04-01-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 07:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had an issue with metra hvac too so I got the oem jdm hvac controls with jdm trim and got rid of the metra piece.

My car didn’t come with OEM nav.

I think I got the jdm OEM trim and hvac controls parts from z1 or conceptz if I remember correctly.

The following 2 users liked this post by romansan2008:
Mrmark (04-01-2023), Urbanengineer (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 07:27 AM
G35. New suspension front and rear, ported plenum and manifold, coil overs, spec D ext
Originally Posted by romansan2008
I had an issue with metra hvac too so I got the oem jdm hvac controls with jdm trim and got rid of the metra piece.

My car didn’t come with OEM nav.

I think I got the jdm OEM trim and hvac controls parts from z1 or conceptz if I remember correctly.
I was thinking all I need to do is buy the JDM kit as well but I wanted to make sure before I spend the money. I did just the opposite and removed the fact Nav and added the glove compartment above. My nav didn’t work and would not go all the way up. Wasn’t sure if it was possible to use the nav as a video screen. Personally I like Ways for the Nav because it stays updated
you did a great job on the installation

Old 04-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Dual climate? Is it needed?

My car currently has dual climate and I’ve been in search for a JDM DD with HVAC controls. Does it matter if the JDM does not have dual climate? I’m not worried about dual climate working, just everything else.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:01 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
You can add the button as per instructions in the initial guide posts, or if you don't care about dual climate, just install without changing anything.

Urbanengineer (04-12-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 10:09 PM
G35 Red Coop
Hello folks. Post 2179 looks promising for the Scosche double dim kit for the Bose amp installed 03's. Has anyone else installed with the latest kit and can confirm?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2023, 11:20 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Estropelic
Hello folks. Post 2179 looks promising for the Scosche double dim kit for the Bose amp installed 03's. Has anyone else installed with the latest kit and can confirm?

Thanks
The vehicle I installed it in was not using the Bose amplifier. Any time you're going through the bose amplifier, the only recommended adapter is the ROEM-NIS2. The scosche kit sends the speaker-level outputs through without any of the signal conversion done by the ROEM-NIS2, so your bose amplifier will be prone to seeing half the signal as noise that needs to be cancelled out. You may get lucky and have it work, as the bose amplifiers aren't 100% consistent, but I don't consider it worth saving $40 to gamble on it.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:38 AM
G35 Red Coop
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The vehicle I installed it in was not using the Bose amplifier. Any time you're going through the bose amplifier, the only recommended adapter is the ROEM-NIS2. The scosche kit sends the speaker-level outputs through without any of the signal conversion done by the ROEM-NIS2, so your bose amplifier will be prone to seeing half the signal as noise that needs to be cancelled out. You may get lucky and have it work, as the bose amplifiers aren't 100% consistent, but I don't consider it worth saving $40 to gamble on it.
Thanks for the ROEM tip. I went that route and everything is working GREAT.

My only issue now is the damn rear view camera. It's not turning on automatically when shifting into reverse. I can manually turn it on using a button I mapped from the steering wheel but shifting to reverse does not trigger the camera.

That'll have to be a project for the winter time.

From the camera side in the trunk:
Grounded black to chassis ground.
Tapped pink camera + into the purple with grey dotted every few inches.

Head unit side:
ATOTO head unit Rear Cam + to ATOTO pink from camera.
Accessory to accessory.

I absolutely love going driving in rearse. 😂

Last edited by Estropelic; 07-10-2023 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 07-10-2023, 06:03 PM
G35 Red Coop
Turned out being the dorman crimp. It didn't cut into the smaller camera wire. I folded some threads over and redid the crimp. It worked. 😄

Scorpi0 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 10:14 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So does the car rear sing in a solid bass?

Urbanengineer (07-14-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 10:16 PM
G35 Red Coop
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
So does the car rear sing in a solid bass?
I'm not following. Sorry

Old 07-14-2023, 12:35 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Estropelic
I'm not following. Sorry

Urbanengineer (07-14-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List