Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
Please refer to this post for tucking the wires in

that usually makes things a little easier when you tape them together, when i added the ipod adapter on my brothers G sedan i took all the wires down to behind the center console, made things a little easier. But i'm sure Wrathernaut will chime in soon to help with this issue, i remember not having much room in the sedan behind the HU. My trim & wires are on their way, so any info might be good to me too

Old 01-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AARONHL

I'll try to explane I would not tape everything together I think it will make it harder. Looking at the opening you notice the plastic brace at the bottom, take and stuff the nis oem adapter as far under that brace and the wiring. Then to the right on that brace you will see a opening on the lower side that you can slide the steering wheel controller through. Now if there is any problem with the controller I can reprogram it with just taking off the console cover off. This was not the easiest to do trying to hold the assembly and tuck all the wires as well it took several trys. Just be patent and it will all go together.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
OK, thanks guys! I'll be installing this as soon as the bypass is delivered!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm keeping all the wires as long as possible...do you think that would help??

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
I'm keeping all the wires as long as possible...do you think that would help??
Good thinking buddy! I did the same thing...it does make it a LOT easier with longer wires so you have room to tuck after you connect them into the harnesses! Please tell me you spent the couple bucks and bought heat shrink tube, or butt-crimp connectors?! I had to wait a couple days for all my pieces to get here too so I used the solder heat shrink tubes to ensure that all connections were good and solid!

Are you going to be running an amp and sub? If so, shoot me a text 404.735.7422 and I can help walk ya through hiding them wires really easily! (I could even shoot ya pics from my car if you needed?!)

Old 01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
A couple tips for making stuff fit:

Bundle with velcro cable ties, you can get a roll of 100 black ties from Home Depot for like $5, brightly colored ones are like 10 for $10 or so, stupid to pay that much for color. Anyway, figure where the harness needs to reach to behind the stereo, leave that much excess, and bundle the rest and put it underneath the stereo and pull the wires to the front. Do this with *all* the cables and harnesses. When it comes time to put the stereo in, get it almost in place, reach behind and plug the harnesses in, and it should go quite easily. I've got no trouble putting my stereo in, and it's got about as many adapters and cables as you can possibly get - 3 pair of RCAs, GPS antenna wire, iPod wire, HD FM adapter, the regular wiring harness, the antenna adapter, the microphone cable, the factory navigation harness, the steering wheel controls adapter... I think more people get the top bracket going under the wrong place in the dash and they think that it's caught on cables than actually are running into cable space issues.

The following users liked this post:
CROYCE992 (05-11-2016)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, I bought heat shrink tubing. I'm going to leave a few connections open (having the heat strink around the wire unshrunk) so I can test the Pioneer harness first, then add the steering wheel controls and the bypass separately. I'll use electrical tape on those few connections while testing. I will send you a text if I need help! Thanks for the offer...

I can't wait to open my dashboard and get this installed!!!! I am going to get some Velco ties. That would work much better than zip ties.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yes, I bought heat shrink tubing. I'm going to leave a few connections open (having the heat strink around the wire unshrunk) so I can test the Pioneer harness first, then add the steering wheel controls and the bypass separately. I'll use electrical tape on those few connections while testing. I will send you a text if I need help! Thanks for the offer...

I can't wait to open my dashboard and get this installed!!!! I am going to get some Velco ties. That would work much better than zip ties.
Velcro ties are also silent (soft side out, of course) if they're vibrated against metal or plastic.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
so if i have a bose, but i dont want to use the bose amp, i use this adapter Metra 70-7550 ?

or do i still use this PAC ROEM-NIS2 ?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I think I'm going to install my double din tonight...what do you guys do with the wires you don't use on the steering wheel controls and PAC harnesses? And can I connect all the grounds to one wire then connect that to the car? Or ground each harness separately?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ground the steering wheel adapter separately, everything else can go together.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Ok, what about the extra wires? What should I do with those? I don't want them to touch anything..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ok, what about the extra wires? What should I do with those? I don't want them to touch anything..
Just cut them cleanly if they have been pre-stripped and throw some electrical tape over them.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm having problems with the steering wheel controls!!! It blinks once when I turn the car to ON, then no led at all. I followed the steps all the way through the first time, but didn't find it after the 9 flashes.

Last edited by AARONHL; 01-07-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 AM
I made the harness tonight using the head unit plug and it's not programming... It says the gray/red wire is not connected but it's clearly in the harness, the other wires don't come up when trouble shooting. I don't know what to do...I'm afraid if I tap right into the factory wires it still won't program.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List